Author Topic: GAO: Zumwalt-class, Virginia Attack Boats Risk Delays in Fielding Hypersonic Missiles  (Read 185 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
GAO: Zumwalt-class, Virginia Attack Boats Risk Delays in Fielding Hypersonic Missiles
By: Sam LaGrone
June 8, 2023 6:43 PM • Updated: June 8, 2023 9:39 PM

The three Zumwalt-class destroyers could face delays in fielding the first hypersonic weapons in the U.S. Navy surface fleet, according to a Thursday report from the Government Accountability Office’s annual weapons report.

The Navy planned to add launch tubes to USS Zumwalt (DDG-1000) during an availability at HII’s Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula, Miss., starting next year for completion by 2025. The following two ships in the $29 billion class – USS Michael Monsoor (DDG-100) and Lyndon B. Johnson (DDG-1002) – will get the CPS tube installation in their own modernization periods.

The space now occupied by the 16,000-ton destroyer’s twin 155 mm advanced gun systems will get replaced with four 87-inch tubes for about a dozen Common Hypersonic Glide Bodies (C-HGB) – the joint round developed for the Army and Navy. The weapons are part of the Pentagon’s Conventional Prompt Strike capability, or the ability to hit a land target at long ranges with little to no notice.

However, that schedule could get hampered by testing of the Conventional Prompt Strike systems on at-sea platforms, the program told the GAO. The delays in fielding the CPS on Zumwalt in 2025 and the integration of the CPS come from both testing a maritime version of the C-HGB and the tight schedule to integrate the weapon into the hull of the three-ship Zumwalt-class.

https://news.usni.org/2023/06/08/gao-zumwalt-class-virginia-attack-boats-risks-delays-in-fielding-hypersonic-missiles
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It's interesting the headline uses the term "boats" instead of submarines.  Is that because the author doesn't want people to know it's more serious than he or the Navy want to admit? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson