Author Topic: Ukraine 4  (Read 231477 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: Ukraine 4
« Reply #1975 on: November 21, 2023, 12:01:28 pm »

It was the Russians who were anticipated to overrun Ukraine in two weeks. That didn't work, because the Ukrainians have had something to say about that. Those who have not fought have taken families and left, but those who remain are the epitome of "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees".

Well said!

:amen:

Personally, I'm appalled at this corrosive new appeasement strain within Conservative circles that unconditional surrender to totalitarian dictatorships and terrorists to "save lives" is now preferable to fighting for freedom and liberty.  It's apparently better now to live on our knees before thugs like Putin and Xi than die fighting for the principles our Founding Fathers established during our War for Independence.  What if George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and the other "rebels" had surrendered to King George like the British and their Loyalists in America demanded?  That war lasted 8 years...it seems that there is now no appetite for any war to defend those principles, no matter how necessary, that lasts for more than six months, because it is just too damned inconvenient.

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1976 on: November 21, 2023, 12:13:30 pm »
In a surprise Kyiv stop, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin offers Ukraine support, $100 million in military hardware
Visit comes as doubts grow over Western commitment to grinding fight with Russia                   
By Mike Glenn - The Washington Times - Monday, November 20, 2023

Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin did not come empty-handed during his unannounced visit to Kyiv on Monday, where he sought to bolster Ukrainian resolve as its counteroffensive against Russian invaders appears to have stalled.

After traveling overnight by train from Poland, Mr. Austin said he came to Ukraine with the message that the U.S. will continue to stand with Kyiv. Along with words of encouragement, he announced a $100 million cache of military hardware.

The trip, Mr. Austin’s second to Ukraine since Russia invaded in February 2022, comes amid growing concern in Ukraine that the Israel-Hamas war has distracted the U.S. and its allies from this fight and could strain military supply chains. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DB

« Reply #1977 on: November 21, 2023, 03:19:51 pm »
Maybe the early reports of Russian forces stuck in the mud, being a paper tiger, out of armaments, Putin's imminent death and those thousands of posts on social media showing Ukraine's magnificent and heroic battlefield victories laid the expectation of Ukraine's swift victory.  I believe it's called propaganda --- worked. . :shrug:  @DB

So where is the quick win you claim we said?

Ukraine has had "magnificent and heroic battlefield victories". The likes of you thought Ukraine was done short after Putin invaded. Ukraine has successfully expelled a large number of Putin's invaders/mercenaries out of most of their country. That is nothing short of heroic. The "propaganda" has been all yours here.

And as far as the strength of Russia goes, Russia has been a continuous threat to all of Europe and the US for 70+ years. Clearly that threat has been laid bare by their inability to consume their smaller bordering neighbor to the west.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 08:24:21 pm by DB »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1978 on: November 21, 2023, 04:53:14 pm »
After traveling overnight by train from Poland, Mr. Austin said he came to Ukraine with the message that the U.S. will continue to stand with Kyiv. Along with words of encouragement, he announced a $100 million cache of military hardware. ...

Well there's a change.  Military hardware with no State Department or USAID graft attached?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1979 on: November 21, 2023, 04:57:46 pm »
It was the Russians who were anticipated to overrun Ukraine in two weeks. That didn't work, because the Ukrainians have had something to say about that. Those who have not fought have taken families and left, but those who remain are the epitome of "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees".

I am reminded of this scene from Red Dawn:  "Because we live here."

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1980 on: November 25, 2023, 02:14:55 pm »
Legit question:

If Russia demands Alaska back do we say:

1. No and risk a war with Russia?
2. Give them Alaska just to avoid war.

Yes, they do want Alaska back.

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1981 on: November 25, 2023, 02:57:46 pm »
Legit question:

If Russia demands Alaska back do we say:

1. No and risk a war with Russia?
2. Give them Alaska just to avoid war.

Yes, they do want Alaska back.

@kevindavis007

We tell them "No",and let THEM risk going to  war with  US if they try to take it by force?

WHY  should Alaska,with all it's massive resources,be any different than Oklahoma,for example?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1982 on: November 26, 2023, 04:23:46 am »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1983 on: November 27, 2023, 08:16:51 pm »

Personally, I'm appalled at this corrosive new appeasement strain within Conservative circles that unconditional surrender to totalitarian dictatorships and terrorists to "save lives" is now preferable to fighting for freedom and liberty. 
I don't believe that the desire to save lives has anything to do with their position. Literally nothing.

Their motivation is the same thing we saw at TOS.  They see Russia as nationalist and pro-Trump, Ukraine as globalist and pro-Biden, and they want a Russian victory.  Most of them won't admit it publicly, but that's the truth.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 09:04:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1984 on: November 27, 2023, 08:25:10 pm »
Maybe the early reports of Russian forces stuck in the mud, being a paper tiger, out of armaments....

To a great extent, that all is true.

This war began with Russia having a massive advantage in terms of conventional military forces.  When you consider Russia's reported reserves - including things like 12,000 tanks and 20,000 artillery tubes - It was all but insurmountable.

But as it turned out, a great deal of Russia's military was hollow. The reported reserve equipment was either not maintained or poorly maintained, and most of it was inoperable. That left them with a still very considerable advantage in conventional forces at the outside of the war, but that has been whittled down over time by extraordinarily tough Ukrainian generalship, and better training at both the small unit and staff levels.

The idea that Ukraine would still be able to hold all the territory at holds, and inflict the massive damage upon Russia's military that has been inflicted, is something that was almost inconceivable at the start of the war.

People who didn't understand the strategic imbalance at the beginning of the war have tended to confuse Ukrainian battlefield victories with strategic victory, and an ability to end the war quickly.  But that doesn't render the Ukrainian battlefield victories or the degradation of the Russian military any less remarkable
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 08:53:03 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1985 on: November 27, 2023, 08:40:13 pm »
To a great extent, that all is true.

This war began with Russia having a massive advantage in terms of conventional military forces.  When you consider Russia's reported reserves - including things like 12,000 tanks and 20,000 artillery tubes - It was all but insurmountable.

But as it turned out, a great deal of Russia's military was hollow. The reported reserve equipment was either not maintained or poorly maintained, and most of it was inoperable. That left them with a still very considerable advantage in conventional forces at the outside of the war, but that has been whittled down over time by extraordinarily tough Ukrainian generalship, and better training at both the small unit and staff levels.

The idea that you crane would still be able to hold all the territory at holds, and inflict the massive damage upon Russia's military that has been inflicted, is something that was almost inconceivable at the start of the war.

People who didn't understand the strategic imbalance at the beginning of the war have tended to confuse Ukrainian battlefield victories with strategic victory, and an ability to end the war quickly.  But that doesn't render the Ukrainian battlefield victories or the degradation of the Russian military any less remarkable

@Maj. Bill Martin

Amen,brother,amen!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1986 on: November 27, 2023, 08:45:40 pm »

The idea that you crane would still be able to hold all the territory at holds, and inflict the massive damage upon Russia's military that has been inflicted, is something that was almost inconceivable at the start of the war.

I agree with your assessment, but must note: Gotta love 'voice to text'...

If AI takes over, I am just going to sit back in a safe place with ample popcorn, snacks, and beverages and watch the wheels come off...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1987 on: November 27, 2023, 08:53:21 pm »
I agree with your assessment, but must note: Gotta love 'voice to text'...

If AI takes over, I am just going to sit back in a safe place with ample popcorn, snacks, and beverages and watch the wheels come off...

At least I know somebody read it. Thanks!

Offline Hoodat

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1989 on: November 29, 2023, 05:37:17 am »
Lots of senior officers gone...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1990 on: November 29, 2023, 11:50:38 am »
Lots of senior officers gone...

@Smokin Joe

Which  is pretty rare,historically.  These are "bosses",not  combat commanders.

It ALMOST seems like someone at,or close to the top of the Soviet hierarchy is starting to "clean house". For what reasons,I can't even begin to guess.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1991 on: November 29, 2023, 10:47:20 pm »
Putin is urging women to have as many as 8 children after so many Russians died in his war with Ukraine

Yahoo News by Tom Porter 11/29/2023

•   Russian President Vladimir Putin is urging Russians to have more children.

•   "Large families must become the norm," Putin said in a speech Tuesday.

•   Russian birth rates are falling amid war in Ukraine and a deepening economic crisis.

Russian President Vladimir Putin is urging women to have as many as eight children as the number of dead Russian soldiers continues to rise in his war with Ukraine, worsening the country's population crisis.

Addressing the World Russian People's Council in Moscow on Tuesday, Putin said the country must return to a time when large families were the norm.

"Many of our grandmothers and great-grandmothers, had seven, eight, or even more children," Putin said.

"Let us preserve and revive these excellent traditions. Large families must become the norm, a way of life for all of Russia's people. The family is not just the foundation of the state and society, it is a spiritual phenomenon, a source of morality."

"Preserving and increasing the population of Russia is our goal for the coming decades and even generations ahead. This is the future of the Russian world, the millennium-old, eternal Russia," Putin continued.

More: https://news.yahoo.com/putin-urging-women-many-8-115933811.html

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1992 on: November 29, 2023, 10:49:59 pm »
Putin is urging women to have as many as 8 children after so many Russians died in his war with Ukraine
I thought this sounded familiar ...
On August 12, 1938, Adolf Hitler institutes the Mother’s Cross, to encourage German women to have more children, to be awarded each year on August 12, Hitler’s mother’s birthday.

The German Reich needed a robust and growing population and encouraged couples to have large families.  ...
History.com

Offline DB

« Reply #1993 on: November 29, 2023, 11:28:13 pm »
Putin needs more pawns to wage war with... What mother wants their child to be used as cannon fodder?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1994 on: November 29, 2023, 11:41:51 pm »
I hope this doesn't mean Vlad plans to continue this war into the 2040s or so, whenever these new bouncing baby boys become of military age.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #1995 on: November 30, 2023, 12:29:54 am »
 ////00000////

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1996 on: November 30, 2023, 01:48:37 am »
I thought this sounded familiar ...History.com
Well it beats opening your borders...

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1997 on: November 30, 2023, 06:35:26 am »

@Elderberry

Pooty Poot is running out of peasants willing to die  for him,and needs to restock. That is a long-term prospect,so he  had better start talking peace soon in order to get the soliders back home so they can pump out some future corpses.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1998 on: November 30, 2023, 07:01:07 pm »
In re Ukraine's courting of Hollywood celebrities, e.g., Sean Penn, Ben Stiller, Matt Damon, etc.:

Danny Trejo refused a visit to Ukraine because the Office of the President wanted a “kickback".

https://twitter.com/SteveLovesAmmo/status/1730233266190344327

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1999 on: November 30, 2023, 09:26:27 pm »
Actor Danny Trejo was offered $100,000 to visit Kiev and shake the hand of Ukr’s president. However, there was one catch: he’d receive $150,000, of which he'd give Andrey Yermak, the head of Zelensky’s office, $50,000 in cash.

https://twitter.com/RothLindberg/status/1730328896988405887