Author Topic: Pentagon: Yes, we are still lagging behind China’s hypersonics  (Read 302 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon: Yes, we are still lagging behind China’s hypersonics
By Geoff Ziezulewicz
 Tuesday, Apr 18

House Armed Services Committee members level tough questions at a Navy admiral on the U.S. ability to match China's missile capabilities in coming years.

House Armed Services Committee members grilled Pentagon leaders Tuesday on why the U.S. military continues to lag behind China in developing hypersonic missiles and defenses that can counter the next-generation ordnance.

One of the leaked Pentagon intelligence documents, obtained by Navy Times, shows that Beijing tested a hypersonic missile this year that could hit targets beyond Japan and the U.S. territory of Guam, where U.S. forces are based, and carry a “high probability” of besting American ballistic missile defenses.

It’s the latest reminder that despite billions of dollars spent, and a defense budget that keeps growing, the U.S. still trails China’s progress developing key cutting-edge weaponry, raising uncomfortable questions about how America would fare in a shooting war in the Pacific.

https://www.defensenews.com/news/your-navy/2023/04/18/pentagon-yes-we-are-still-lagging-behind-chinas-hypersonics/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Pentagon: Yes, we are still lagging behind China’s hypersonics
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 03:46:50 pm »
The US has had the SR-71 zipping along at 4,000+ MPH for 40 some years and now we're behind in hypersonics?  How? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 03:55:04 pm »
The US has had the SR-71 zipping along at 4,000+ MPH for 40 some years and now we're behind in hypersonics?  How? :shrug:

Good question.

But we are besting them in recognizing pronouns.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 05:08:45 pm »
Maybe the aliens that gave us the tech have stopped sharing, or maybe articles like this downplaying our ability vs the chicoms is just bullsquat?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 05:36:28 pm »

An aircraft is not the same thing as a missile, particularly when it comes to hypersonic flight.