Author Topic: Lawyer pleads guilty to defrauding veterans, retirees out of millions  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lawyer pleads guilty to defrauding veterans, retirees out of millions
By Jon Simkins
 Apr 20, 07:27 PM

A South Carolina woman has pleaded guilty to conspiracy for using her position as a managing partner at a law firm to exploit military veterans and elderly investors as part of a nationwide cash flow scheme, the Justice Department announced Thursday.

From approximately 2012 to 2021, Candy Kern, 55, used her law firm to prey on retiree investors and “military veterans in desperate financial straits” by illegally assigning veterans’ benefits, a DoJ release stated.

As part of the scheme, Kern directed financially struggling veterans to accept lump sum cash payments in exchange for the veterans’ monthly retirement or disability earnings, which Kern would arrange in contracts — replete with credit background checks, interest rates and legal ramifications — to be paid out, with interest, over an agreed-upon term.

Kern and other partners would then solicit elderly investors seeking to bolster their retirement to invest in the contracts by providing the lump sum payments, which they were told would yield a return over time.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/04/20/lawyer-pleads-guilty-to-defrauding-veterans-retirees-out-of-millions/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Lawyer pleads guilty to defrauding veterans, retirees out of millions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 02:14:11 pm »
I thought only conservative, white males were capable of such things.  Has anyone checked to see if she is a trannie? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 03:02:40 pm »
From a more local source...

"A January 2021 settlement ruled Kern, another attorney and Upstate Law Group must pay $725,000 to the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Kern and the other defendants did not admit to any wrongdoing in the settlement.

As a result of the scheme, Kern’s law firm received around $1,446,336, while retiree-investors, who were "fraudulently induced" to purchase the SCF product without adequate knowledge of the contracts, lost approximately $31,352,897.26, according to Wednesday's DOJ memo."   9999hair out0000

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/former-anderson-lawyer-pleads-guilty-in-cash-flow-scheme-that-targeted-veterans-elderly/ar-AA1aayaa#image=AA1aahjp|10
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 09:21:13 pm »
In my mind I have this little fantasy movie running where one of these Vets or seniors targeted by these vermin feels they have been pushed beyond their limit and have nothing to lose, pops both these leaches doing mankind a great service. Just a fantasy but it brings a smile to my face