Author Topic: Did Joe Biden Lose 85,000 Migrant Kids?  (Read 121 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Did Joe Biden Lose 85,000 Migrant Kids?
« on: April 20, 2023, 11:16:58 am »
Did Joe Biden Lose 85,000 Migrant Kids?
Two outrages: ORR director doesn’t know, and most of the media doesn’t seem to care

By Andrew R. Arthur on April 20, 2023

The House Oversight Committee’s National Security Subcommittee held a hearing this week on the Office of Refugee Resettlement’s Unaccompanied Alien Children Program. Robin Dunn Marcos, director of the office, appeared, but if you watch that hearing you’ll learn a lot more from the questions than the answers — because there weren’t many answers on key issues, such as the fate of 85,000 children the office has apparently lost contact with. Someone needs to put a up a large “Help Wanted” sign in Washington, because the American people are desperately in need of accountability on migrant children — both in the government and in the media.

“Unaccompanied Alien Children”. Until late 2002, unaccompanied alien children or “UACs” were not really a thing. That’s not to say that the then-Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) — precursor to CBP and ICE in immigration enforcement and to USCIS in adjudicating immigration benefits — did not encounter, process, and in cases detain alien kids without parents or guardians. It did.

And it often received criticism for how it did so. In 1985, two organizations sued the INS on behalf of alien children being detained by the agency. The purpose of the suit, as NPR has explained, was to “challeng[e] procedures regarding the detention, treatment, and release of children”.

That case went through several levels of judicial review, including by the Supreme Court in March 1993 on the question of whether the then-controlling regulation limiting the release of those children without parents or guardians violated the constitution’s Due Process clause.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Did-Joe-Biden-Lose-85000-Migrant-Kids
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Did Joe Biden Lose 85,000 Migrant Kids?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 11:17:41 am »
Kids, probably as young as 35, were in that group. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson