Author Topic: New York Magazine op-ed blasting parental rights movement sparks fury  (Read 280 times)

Offline Kamaji

New York Magazine op-ed blasting parental rights movement sparks fury

By Snejana Farberov
April 13, 2023

A fiery New York Magazine op-ed eviscerating the parents’ rights movement as a threat to children and democracy has sparked heated backlash — with critics ripping it as “disgusting.”

Sarah Jones, senior writer for the publication’s politics and news offshoot, Intelligencer, published an opinion piece Saturday titled, “Children Are Not Property.”

In it, Jones argues at length that “right-wing Christians” have embraced the parental rights movement in a bid to mold their children how they choose, “much like any domesticated animal,” she writes.

“Conservatives betray a conviction that a child is the property of parents. Because parents own their children, they can dispose of the child as they see fit,” Jones argues.

Unsurprisingly, Jones’ commentary sparked a furious backlash online, with critics fuming that the op-ed implies children should be the “property” of the state.

“Narrator: What Sarah really means is that children are not property of their parents, rather, they are property of the state,” California Assembly candidate Corbin Sabol tweeted.

Angry parents were quick to hit back, insisting that it is parents — and not the state — who have children’s best interests at heart.

“Disgusting. They’re trying to shame people who believe parents are essential to the lives of their children,” tweeted Republican California Assemblyman Joe Patterson.

“This is a red line for me. No one, and I mean NO ONE, has domain over my children other than me and my wife.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/ny-mag-op-ed-blasting-parental-rights-movement-sparks-fury/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: New York Magazine op-ed blasting parental rights movement sparks fury
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 06:16:23 pm »
There is nothing so impressive as the lengths a mother will go to in nature to protect her young.

Why do these idiots think it will be different with humans?
Perhaps they have spent too much time 'working' with the drug-addicted and dysfunctional, but even then, that maternal instinct has pulled many back from that brink as well, for their own kids sake.

FAFO when it comes to waking the 'Mama Bear' 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: New York Magazine op-ed blasting parental rights movement sparks fury
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 06:19:48 pm »
Communism pure and simple. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.