Author Topic: ExxonMobil Cans Algae (greenwash failure)  (Read 254 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
ExxonMobil Cans Algae (greenwash failure)
« on: March 06, 2023, 04:24:40 pm »
ExxonMobil Cans Algae (greenwash failure)
By Robert Bradley Jr. -- March 6, 2023

“After advertising its efforts to produce environmentally friendly fuels from algae for over a decade, Exxon Mobil Corp. is now quietly walking away from its most heavily publicized climate solution.” (below)

Biofuel is out, leaving carbon capture and storage (CCS) as the leave-us-alone, we-are-doing-our-part “greenwashing” strategy at ExxonMobil (see tomorrow’s post). The end of algae as a substitute for crude oil comes after $350 million and 14 years of commitment. This expenditure was joined by a “green” advertising campaign around the project of at least $60 million, mostly spent between 2017 and 2019.

It was predictable. Shell, BP, and Chevron had previously thrown in the biofuels towel. And it is reminiscent of Exxon’s failed ventures in the 1970s: Office equipment. Real estate. Synthetic fuels. Shale oil. Electric motors. Solar panels. Uranium. Copper.

——————————

Here is the latest as reported by Ben Eligin and Kevin Crowley. “Exxon Retreats From Major Climate Effort to Make Biofuels From Algae” (Reuters: February 10, 2023) is subtitled “Renewable fuels made from algae was the company’s most heavily publicized climate solution.” The three shutdowns are reported in the article:

https://www.masterresource.org/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: ExxonMobil Cans Algae (greenwash failure)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 02:28:13 am »
No more driving on pond scum...

The subsidies and tax breaks must have dried up.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis