Author Topic: Quieter Senate gives Fetterman recovery room  (Read 143 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Quieter Senate gives Fetterman recovery room
« on: February 28, 2023, 03:11:03 pm »
 Quieter Senate gives Fetterman recovery room

Democrats have a 50-49 majority as their first-term Pennsylvanian recovers. And with no big thorny legislation on the horizon, his party is giving him ample patience.

By Burgess Everett, Marianne LeVine and Daniella Diaz

02/27/2023 07:17 PM EST

It’s entirely unclear how long John Fetterman will stay out of the Senate. And Democrats are OK with that.

The newly elected Pennsylvania Democrat is still getting inpatient treatment for depression at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, with no concrete timetable for his return to the Capitol. His staff released an update on Monday that said Fetterman “remains on a path to recovery” and is staying briefed on Senate action.

His absence throws a sizable roadblock in the path of Senate Democrats’ 51-49 majority. But party leaders are intent on giving him as much time as he needs to recover — particularly given the lengthy recuperation periods that former Sens. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) and Tim Johnson (D-S.D.) needed after significant injuries in 2012 and 2006, respectively.

“We have gone through periods of time since I’ve been in the Senate where members have been [gone] for lengthy periods of time for good reasons, health reasons. I wouldn’t wish that kind of pressure on anybody. Let him get well, let his family feel he’s getting the best care. Those are the highest priorities,” said Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). “I wish that his critics would show a little bit of humanity.”

more
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/27/senate-democrats-fetterman-00084671
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline BellyAche

Re: Quieter Senate gives Fetterman recovery room
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 03:45:38 pm »
They're going to hold up any major discussion in the Senate, so that Fetterman can come out of his depressive "fog" and vote to tip the balance. I don't question that depression can be a major issue, but it can be a chronic problem. Again, this is proof that he was always problematic and will be problematic.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt