Author Topic: A Giant Destructive Blob Is Headed For Florida, And It Stinks  (Read 317 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Giant Destructive Blob Is Headed For Florida, And It Stinks
« on: February 25, 2023, 06:23:53 pm »
A Giant Destructive Blob Is Headed For Florida, And It Stinks
It's not believed to be a deadly entity from space intent on consuming everything in its path.
author
RACHAEL FUNNELL

Feb 24, 2023 11:12 AM

Steel yourselves, Florida: something massive might be about to beach itself on your shores. Reports are forecasting that a gargantuan blob of sargassum seaweed has accumulated in the Atlantic Ocean and is headed for the US state, bringing with it millions of tons of odorous seaweed.

Sargassum is a genus of brown macroalgae (the fancy word for seaweed) that’s found in temperate and tropical oceans across the globe. It can form giant clumps like floating islands that stretch for miles, providing shelter and food to birds, fishes, sea turtles, and crustaceans.

These gargantuan seaweed islands are the exclusive home for some species like sargassum fish, and act like nursery grounds for juvenile animals including mahi mahi and turtles. Eventually, these islands lose their buoyancy and sink to the seafloor where they become a primary food source in the food webs of the deep sea, so they are an important habitat for many species across different zones of the water column.

However, in recent years sargassum has become increasingly nomadic as warming ocean temperatures have seen it blossom in unfamiliar waters. It’s also thought to have experienced a boom in growth as a result of climate change and nutrient runoff from the Amazon and Mississippi. Its emigration and boom in growth means that it can sap the nutrients and oxygen out of the reefs it engulfs, and things only get worse when it makes ground.

“Golden tides” like the sea of sargassum that’s currently floating towards Florida can stink to high heaven of a potent blend of rotten eggs (thank you hydrogen sulfide gas) topped off with a salty sea tang. As it decomposes, it releases its stored carbon into the air, contributing towards the planet’s already-too-high CO2 emissions.

https://www.iflscience.com/a-giant-destructive-blob-is-headed-for-florida-and-it-stinks-67696
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: A Giant Destructive Blob Is Headed For Florida, And It Stinks
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 06:24:28 pm »
It's caused by global warming, isn't it? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 06:29:31 pm »
Make lemonaid out of lemons.  That stuff has to have some sky high BTU value.  Probably close to peat. 

Excellent bio-fuels candidate
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 07:53:22 pm »
A giant, stinking, destructive blob is headed to Florida? Michael Moore is headed to Florida?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 07:54:32 pm »
Stacey Abrams getting back from vacation?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 08:06:44 pm »
Wait, whoa. Biodiversity? What happened to that?

Apparently, these seaweed masses are a huge mobile bioherm all their own, feeding species diversity wherever they go, and likely important (at least locally) in the food chain.

EEWW! It's stinky!

No excuse to call for eliminating biodiversity, folks. You cant have it both ways.
Seaweed always smells bad on the beach after a few days.

BTW, if you are smelling H2S (rotten egg odor), then there is anaerobic decomposition going on in there, and that releases hydrogen sulfide, not CO2 to the atmosphere. The fauna that promote that type of respiration are incompatible with those which emit CO2 (aerobic bacteria), so, which is it?

These people don't want nature, just some spit-shined caricature.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 07:02:58 pm »
It's caused by global warming, isn't it? :whistle:

It says so, right in the article excerpt.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: