Author Topic: Fatal overdoses high at these Army posts, overall rate decreasing  (Read 72 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fatal overdoses high at these Army posts, overall rate decreasing
By Davis Winkie
 Feb 21, 03:13 PM

Though the Army saw a reduction in overall drug overdose death rates in recent years, soldiers at five Army installations are dying of drug overdoses at more than double the rate of other Defense Department personnel.

Responding to a query from a bipartisan group of senators, the letter from Defense Undersecretary Gilbert Cisneros Jr. offered a public understanding of the opioid epidemic’s impact on the military services in recent months. The lawmakers’ query followed a Rolling Stone article that examined drug-related deaths at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Fentanyl deaths among troops more than doubled from 2017 to 2021
Overall overdose deaths also doubled in the Navy and Marine Corps.
By Meghann Myers

The letter analyzed fatal and non-fatal drug overdoses among active-duty troops between 2017 and 2021, finding that fatal overdoses increased from 4.2 deaths per 100,000 troops in 2017 to 5.1 overdose deaths per 100,000 within four years.

Deaths involving fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid driving much of the overdose epidemic nationwide, more than doubled across all services during the period

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2023/02/21/fatal-overdoses-high-at-these-army-posts-overall-rate-decreasing/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson