Author Topic: AOC criticizes Christian Super Bowl ads, says Jesus would not fund commercials to 'make fascism look  (Read 601 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 February 13, 2023 5:22am EST
AOC criticizes Christian Super Bowl ads, says Jesus would not fund commercials to 'make fascism look benign'
The Christian group He Gets Us reportedly spent $20 million on two Super Bowl advertisements

By Landon Mion | Fox News

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., said Sunday she did not believe Jesus would support Super Bowl commercials that she claims make fascism "look benign."

The Christian group He Gets Us reportedly spent $20 million on two Super Bowl advertisements that showed Jesus as someone with empathy for immigrants and the poor, who was also tired of the division of politics.

"Something tells me Jesus would *not* spend millions of dollars on Super Bowl ads to make fascism look benign," Ocasio-Cortez wrote in a tweet.

The advertising campaign is funded in part by the family behind Hobby Lobby, as well as Christian groups and other anonymous donors. The ads were an effort to spread the message of Jesus to LGBTQ+ people and other communities that have often felt unwelcome by Christianity.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-criticizes-christian-super-bowl-ad-jesus-would-not-fund-commercials-fascism-benign
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Fascist, huh. The funny thing is that the "he gets us" campaign is not  biblical.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 06:25:13 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You know what's facist AOC?  Spending our tax dollars like the drunken slut you are.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Democrats have praised radical muslims and invited them into our government/society since 911, and heavily criticized and expelled Christians from government and institutions since.  When heavily criticizing Christians, even at conventions.  Muslims murdering, enslaving, beheading our citizens ignored as just unimportant activities democrats are glad to look the other way.  Woke OAC now thinks Christians should not even express Christians legally in an open public forum.  Democrats beginning to openly treat todays Christians like the Germans did the Jews in Germany last century.  History is repeating itself.  Woke treating Christians like Nazis did to Jews lST CENTURY, lock stepping AOC SHOWING HERSELF GLAD TO woke ACT LIKE ONE.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline The_Reader_David

Fascist, huh. The funny thing is that the "he gets us" campaign is not  biblical.

Odd, the two commercials embody "unless you become like a little child, you cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven" and "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

As for the overarching He gets us sentiment, is that not grounded in the words of St. Paul, "we have a high priest who is able to sympathize with us"?

Is there more to the campaign that is somehow contrary to the plain meaning of the Scriptures?
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

The Luthern Church of America filled my impressionable, young, fragile, egg-shell mind with subliminal fascist ideas  - like truth and compassion - using stop-motion claymation.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

We also shouldn't forget Fred Rogers attempt to fill young minds with fascist ideas using puppets.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

Does this chick know what Fascism means? I find that most people who toss that word around don’t even know what it means
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline The_Reader_David

You know what's facist AOC?  Spending our tax dollars like the drunken slut you are.

No, that's not fascist.  Loose fiscal policy was not a failing of the original fascists.  What's fascist is the union of state and corporate power as revealed in the Twitter Files and remarks of Mark Zuckerberg showing that the U.S. security state was engaged in censorship and election interference by effectively directing content moderation at Twitter and Facebook.

If we're going to reclaim the word "fascist" to mean actually analogous to Mussolini's political program, rather than being a meaningless pejorative hurled at us by know-nothing leftist like AOC, we need to be precise.  Mussolini defined fascism as the union of corporate and state power, so that's what it is.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online mountaineer

Will provide more info on the problems with "he gets us" when I get home.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 08:00:43 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
No, that's not fascist.  Loose fiscal policy was not a failing of the original fascists.  What's fascist is the union of state and corporate power as revealed in the Twitter Files and remarks of Mark Zuckerberg showing that the U.S. security state was engaged in censorship and election interference by effectively directing content moderation at Twitter and Facebook.

If we're going to reclaim the word "fascist" to mean actually analogous to Mussolini's political program, rather than being a meaningless pejorative hurled at us by know-nothing leftist like AOC, we need to be precise.  Mussolini defined fascism as the union of corporate and state power, so that's what it is.

Def.No. 2 from Merriam Webster-  "

2 : a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control"

As far as I am concerned, that exercise toward hijacking tax dollars in utter waste, when the huge majority of those contributing to that tax base in monetary value are in total disagreement?

We might have quite a disagreement on that matter.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Online mountaineer

I will post what Natasha Crain, author and Bible teacher, posted on her Facebook yesterday, then I'll link to an article she wrote several months ago about "He Gets Us."
The Super Bowl will air He Gets Us ads to millions today, and you are almost undoubtedly going to see and hear a lot of people talking about it. Most of you have seen my in-depth article with concerns about the campaign, and I’ll share that again in the comments, as well as my Unshaken Faith podcast with Alisa on it. Hopefully those will be helpful resources for you to share with others.

That said, here are several things to consider today as you engage on this subject. These are just some additional thoughts especially as they pertain to popular types of comments I’ve been seeing on the campaign.

1. There’s no inherent virtue in simply starting a “conversation” about Jesus. Christians shouldn’t be so desperate for culture to hear what we have to say that we’ll take whatever we can get from whomever is able to provide it on a national scale. I’ve seen a lot of people say the organizers are just trying to start a conversation, as if we should all therefore agree it doesn’t matter how that conversation is started. As marketers know, generating an awareness of something that’s inaccurate or problematic in some way is often worse than generating no awareness at all—because you’ll just have to work extra hard to unwind the problems in audience awareness down the road. (I say this as a former marketing executive.)

2. There’s a difference between presenting a short, incomplete picture of Jesus given the nature of a 30-second ad and presenting a short, misleading picture of Jesus. I’ve seen so many comments to the effect of, “Well, there’s only so much you can do in 30 seconds! Hopefully people will go learn more!” Remember: There are about one million ways to creatively present the fact that Jesus is God and it matters for your life in 30 seconds. And, for those who do want to “go learn more,” the campaign doesn’t do any theological vetting of the churches to which people are sent—so they could well be going to learn more at their local progressive church that denies the historic Christian faith (see my article for more on that). Again, the problem with the campaign isn’t that it’s simply incomplete, but that it’s misleading in its presentation of Jesus as some kind of social justice warrior.

3. Yes, God can work through anything, but that doesn’t mean we should support every attempt to make Him known. I feel like this should go without saying, but I’ve seen so many of the “God can work through this” comments that I had to add it here. The Bible is very prescriptive in how we are to handle truth and divide it from error. God CAN work through anything, but that doesn’t mean as Christians we should give a free pass to anyone making claims about Jesus in some way.

4. Good intentions don’t mean we should avoid holding the campaign up to biblical standards. I don’t know the campaign creators, so I have no idea what their intentions are other than what has been publicly stated (and those stated intentions are problematic for reasons I outlined in my article). But even if they did have the best of biblically sound intentions, we don’t need to shy away from sharing truth about what was produced. No one is saying the creators are bad people…many people are saying that the campaign produced is biblically problematic.

5. It’s important to know that those who developed the campaign are not all Christians. People keep pointing to their About page as some indication that the campaign developers are biblically solid Christians (not that that should change anyone’s evaluation of the campaign itself), but it’s ambiguously worded. Another page on their site, however, makes the truth very clear: “He Gets Us is a diverse group of Jesus followers with a wide variety of faith journeys and lived experiences. Our work represents the input from Christians who believe that Jesus is the son of God as well as many others who, though not Christians, share a deep admiration for the man that Jesus was, and we are deeply inspired and curious to explore his story. We look at the biography of Jesus through a modern lens to find new relevance in often overlooked moments and themes from his life.” This, to me, is perhaps the most telling thing of all. This is how you end up with a “lowest common denominator Jesus” who was palatable to the whole team.
If I could suggest one question that could lead to some fruitful conversation with people today who find the campaign compelling (believers and nonbelievers alike), it would be this: “From your perspective, why do you think it matters that Jesus ‘gets us’?”
This could open the door to discussing the key point I’ve been trying to make all along: If Jesus was merely a fellow human (as this campaign seems to portray him), it doesn’t matter that he gets us any more than it matters that George Washington gets us. But if Jesus was fully human and fully God—as Christians have believed for 2,000 years—then the fact that he gets us takes on unparalleled relevance: The God of the universe created us and knows us better than we can ever know ourselves.
7 Problems with the He Gets Us Campaign
 By Natasha Crain / October 27, 2022

In case you haven’t seen it yet, there’s a $100 million advertising campaign that launched this year across the United States and is aimed at helping rescue Jesus’s reputation from the “damage” done by His followers. It features a website, billboards in major cities, and ads that have been viewed 300 million times. “He Gets Us,” as the campaign is known, is funded by anonymous donors. If you haven’t seen the ads yet, you likely will soon.

Many Christians immediately have a problem with the idea that Jesus would in some way be “marketed.” As a former marketing executive and adjunct market research professor, I don’t necessarily think such a marketing campaign is inherently problematic. Marketing is simply the discipline of effectively getting a given message to a given audience.  ...

But the message shared better be an accurate message about Jesus, lest you’re actually leading people away from Him in some way.

And therein lies the problem with He Gets Us. The Jesus of this campaign is nothing more than an inspiring human who relates to our problems and cares a whole lot about a culturally palatable version of social justice.

Since many people will be discussing the campaign in coming months, I want to highlight seven significant problems to watch out for and to share with friends who may be misled by what they see. ... Please read entire article here

Online mountaineer

See also: https://stream.org/he-gets-us-ad-campaign-doesnt-get-jesus/
... So I don’t know how they can claim “He gets us” when it looks so much like they don’t get Him.   ...

Maybe they’re trying to put enough makeup on His face to attract contemporary eyes. Maybe they think, “Let’s get them looking at Jesus instead of His Church that they hate. Maybe they’ll follow Him then.” Sure. On their own. No church needed, since that’s still kind of stinky. That’s a great, time-tested way to wander into heresy. Or to launch a whole new cult.

There’s a right way to find out what Jesus “gets,” and it isn’t through hip 30-second 21st-century-themed advertising spots. It’s through studying the actual record we have, in community with others who study the record we have.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
////00000////

The Luthern Church of America filled my impressionable, young, fragile, egg-shell mind with subliminal fascist ideas  - like truth and compassion - using stop-motion claymation.

I bet those Mr. Bill SNL skits back in the mid '70' were  quite traumatic  then huh?