Author Topic: Repeat a Lie Often Enough and it Becomes the Truth  (Read 95 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Repeat a Lie Often Enough and it Becomes the Truth
« on: January 18, 2023, 01:19:54 pm »
Repeat a Lie Often Enough and it Becomes the Truth

By James Ragland & Adam Lowther
January 09, 2023

In an article for Defense One, nuclear disarmament advocate Tom Z. Collina chides the Biden administration’s recently released Nuclear Posture Review for maintaining the “status quo” and lacking any new ideas for addressing the Russia challenge. He goes as far as to suggest “…the Biden team has fallen back on the old Cold War playbook: when in doubt, build more nuclear bombs.”

Rather than accurately representing the current state of the United States’ nuclear arsenal or the Biden administration’s Nuclear Posture Review, Collina relies on a tactic best expressed by a quote attributed to Joseph Goebbels, “Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.”

As Collina well knows, at the height of the Cold War (1966-69), the United States deployed more than 30,000 nuclear weapons. As late as 1991, the United States deployed about 5,000 tactical nuclear weapons in Europe alone. The nation’s current arsenal is far smaller.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/01/09/repeat_a_lie_often_enough_and_it_becomes_the_truth_874395.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 01:20:40 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Repeat a Lie Often Enough and it Becomes the Truth
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 01:21:38 pm »
It doesn't become the truth, just more people fall for it. :shrug:

Maybe you could call it "trans-truth".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis