Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 86697 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #525 on: June 05, 2023, 10:31:56 pm »
Damn shame he didn't live to be 120 so  he could suffer more.
No argument here.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #526 on: June 06, 2023, 04:46:58 pm »
Astrud Gilberto dies at 83.

The Brazilian jazz singer was best known for her 1963 rendition of "The Girl from Ipanema," recorded alongside her husband Joao and the Stan Getz orchestra.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/astrud-gilberto-the-girl-from-ipanema-bossa-nova-singer-dies-at-83

https://youtu.be/sVdaFQhS86E
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #527 on: June 06, 2023, 04:51:46 pm »
Astrud Gilberto dies at 83.

The Brazilian jazz singer was best known for her 1963 rendition of "The Girl from Ipanema," recorded alongside her husband Joao and the Stan Getz orchestra.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/astrud-gilberto-the-girl-from-ipanema-bossa-nova-singer-dies-at-83

https://youtu.be/sVdaFQhS86E
RIP

Wonderful rendition.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #528 on: June 07, 2023, 03:49:02 pm »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #529 on: June 07, 2023, 10:12:29 pm »
For the Western New Yorker and expat ex-WNY'ers...

Commander Tom Jolls, internationally famous weatherman and space-themed cartoon show host, dies at 89.

https://www.lockportjournal.com/news/local_news/commander-tom-lives-on/article_1c40d457-119a-563b-bbaa-942992915414.html

@verga , @DCPatriot

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #530 on: June 07, 2023, 10:26:02 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Oh wow...thanks for the info!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #531 on: June 07, 2023, 10:45:53 pm »
Pro wrestler turned Twitter legend, The Iron Sheik, dies at 81.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wwe/article-12170267/WWE-legend-Iron-Sheik-dead-81-Family-pay-tribute-American-Iranian-icon.html

@jmyrlefuller

WOW! That's pretty impressive! I think most of those guys shorten their lives by taking steroids. My father used to flat LOVE "Pro wrasslin",and it was in truth the only  tv show I know  of that he was a fan of. Watched it without fail every Saturday night,and the Iron Sheik was a well-known "villian" in WCW wrasslin.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #532 on: June 08, 2023, 12:16:43 am »
@jmyrlefuller

Oh wow...thanks for the info!   :beer:
I had the wrong link for Tom's passing. (That 2019 article has some fascinating background, though) Here's the correct one
https://buffalonews.com/news/local/tom-jolls-part-of-channel-7s-legendary-irv-rick-and-tom-broadcast-team-dies-at/article_54f63682-d5c1-11ea-86c0-235927cd4b34.html

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #533 on: June 08, 2023, 12:23:43 pm »
Pat Robertson, broadcaster who helped make religion central to GOP politics, dies at 93

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) — Pat Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93.

Robertson’s death Thursday was announced by his broadcasting network. No cause was given.

Robertson’s enterprises also included Regent University, an evangelical Christian school in Virginia Beach; the American Center for Law and Justice, which defends the First Amendment rights of religious people; and Operation Blessing, an international humanitarian organization.

https://apnews.com/article/pat-robertson-dead-christian-broadcasting-700-club-91299d0953c014ca6860fe545cac793e
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #534 on: June 08, 2023, 12:43:18 pm »
the American Center for Law and Justice, which defends the First Amendment rights of religious people
I'm pretty sure defending the First Amendment is for all people, AP.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #535 on: June 08, 2023, 12:45:29 pm »
I'm pretty sure defending the First Amendment is for all people, AP.  *****rollingeyes*****

Yes, it is, but when it comes to devoting one's limited resources to defending constitutional rights, there is nothing inherently wrong with saying that one's focus is on defending a certain subset - e.g., as the First Amendment pertains to explicitly religious speech - and letting other organizations focus their efforts on other aspects.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #536 on: June 08, 2023, 01:22:26 pm »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #537 on: June 08, 2023, 01:25:39 pm »
Didn't always agree with Pat, but I give him props for standing strong, speaking the truth, and fighting the evil. He was a good soldier in many ways.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #538 on: June 08, 2023, 02:07:01 pm »
Didn't always agree with Pat, but I give him props for standing strong, speaking the truth, and fighting the evil. He was a good soldier in many ways.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline verga

« Reply #539 on: June 08, 2023, 03:39:38 pm »
For the Western New Yorker and expat ex-WNY'ers...

Commander Tom Jolls, internationally famous weatherman and space-themed cartoon show host, dies at 89.

https://www.lockportjournal.com/news/local_news/commander-tom-lives-on/article_1c40d457-119a-563b-bbaa-942992915414.html

@verga , @DCPatriot
Thank you. My father worked at Channel 7 for over 25 years, until his death. through him I got to know many of the on air personalities. Tom Jolls was a genuinely nice guy in a business that tends to eat up nice guys.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #540 on: June 08, 2023, 09:00:15 pm »
Yep. RIP.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #541 on: June 09, 2023, 08:23:40 pm »

Vanishing Point actor Barry Newman has died aged 92
https://news.yahoo.com/vanishing-point-actor-barry-newman-074819209.html

And there goes the Challenger, being chased by the blue, blue meanies on wheels. The vicious traffic squad cars are after our lone driver, the last American hero, the electric centaur, the, the demi-god, the super driver of the golden west! Two nasty Nazi cars are close behind the beautiful lone driver. The police numbers are gettin' closer, closer, closer to our soul hero, in his soul mobile, yeah baby! They about to strike. They gonna get him. Smash him. Rape... the last beautiful free soul on this planet.
  RIP Barry.
Might have to fire up the Bluray tonight
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #542 on: June 09, 2023, 09:58:52 pm »
I don't like to speak ill of the dead... but...

The Robertsons deserve a special place in Hell for grifting off the name of Christ. Every time you turn on The 700 Club, you can see some story about how some poor couple deep in debt sent their money to The 700 Club and God miraculously provided them with wealth! His son Gordon is even worse with it.

An old music colleague of mine from my high school days—a conservative, hardcore Calvinist now—shared a story about how he received a blessing he swore was for him as he watched The 700 Club. It wasn't. He wasn't miraculously healed, even though he thought he was for a couple of days. Now this guy thinks that God deliberately afflicts people to make them draw closer to Him, which is its own problematic teaching.

It is said, "by your fruits, you shall know them."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #543 on: June 10, 2023, 12:01:01 am »
I don't like to speak ill of the dead... but...

The Robertsons deserve a special place in Hell for grifting off the name of Christ. Every time you turn on The 700 Club, you can see some story about how some poor couple deep in debt sent their money to The 700 Club and God miraculously provided them with wealth! His son Gordon is even worse with it.

An old music colleague of mine from my high school days—a conservative, hardcore Calvinist now—shared a story about how he received a blessing he swore was for him as he watched The 700 Club. It wasn't. He wasn't miraculously healed, even though he thought he was for a couple of days. Now this guy thinks that God deliberately afflicts people to make them draw closer to Him, which is its own problematic teaching.

It is said, "by your fruits, you shall know them."

@jmyrlefuller

Don't know  anything about the rest of his clan,but Pat was a pure grifter. I have a friend that lived maybe 30 miles from Pat's headquarters back in the 80's,and his mother had contributed a substantial,but unknown amount of money to TCBN over the years,and was a faithful Pat follower. One of her requests when  she died was that  he preach her funeral,and given that she had donated thousands (probably tens of thousands) of dollars over the decades,it didn't seem like much to ask.

She WAS a "true believer Church Lady",and  even worked in a private Christian school even though she and the rest of her family owned a LOT of farmland  and a couple of businesses. One was a successful antique auto restoration business ran by her husband and son,and they added a machine shop  to it so they could rebuild regular car engines,tractor engines,etc,etc,etc.

CBN responded with a note that said Pat gets 10 grand to preach a funeral,IF he can squeeze in the time.

This same guy had a cousin that worked at the post office in Va Beach that delivered the CNN mail,and he told me the cousin said that anytime Pat thought the donations were running a little short,he had the Postal investigators run a lie detector test on him to see if he was stealing any of the cash donations.

I understand he also had the cops run lie detector tests on his mail room employees.

The ABSOLUTE BEST salvation that money could buy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 12:04:43 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #544 on: June 10, 2023, 05:02:42 pm »
Luke Barr
@LukeLBarr
·
24m
NEW: Ted Kaczynski known as the Unabomber died in his prison cell this morning, according to a BOP spokesperson.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #546 on: June 10, 2023, 05:11:15 pm »
Unabomber Ted Kaczynski found dead in prison cell

Ted Kaczynski, the convict known as the Unabomber, was found dead in his prison cell Saturday morning, according to multiple reports. He was 81.

Kaczynski was previously held in a maximum security facility in Colorado but was transferred to a medical facility in North Carolina in December 2021 because of his declining health.

Kaczynski was a domestic terrorist convicted of killing three people and injuring 23 with 16 bombs between 1978 and 1995. He evaded capture for nearly two decades until his arrest in 1996.

This is a breaking story and will be updated.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/unabomber-ted-kaczynski-found-dead-prison-cell
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #547 on: June 10, 2023, 05:19:26 pm »
Luke Barr
@LukeLBarr
·
24m
NEW: Ted Kaczynski known as the Unabomber died in his prison cell this morning, according to a BOP spokesperson.

My heart is broken.  Not.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #548 on: June 10, 2023, 07:16:24 pm »
My heart is broken.  Not.
Yep, can't muster grief for him. Kind of like when Manson died.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #549 on: June 10, 2023, 07:25:52 pm »
Well he now faces his maker.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.