Author Topic: For The Love Of All That Is Holy, Stop Backing Into Parking Spaces Mark Hemingway  (Read 3290 times)

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1 can back that truck up a goat's ass, make a U-turn in reverse, and come out smelling like a rose.

See, now... I had a snappy comeback ready to go @Hoodat ... But then I seen @debrawiest measuring you up for a willow switch and fixin to call you by all three names...  :whistle: :bolt:

Just came back to point out it really wasn't *ME* for a change.  happy77

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: For The Love Of All That Is Holy, Stop Backing Into Parking Spaces
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2023, 03:37:16 am »
@AllThatJazzZ

Of course they can be retrofitted. You can buy them at practically any parts store. I THINK I paid around 10 bucks for the last one I bought.

I don't know how much it would cost you to have one installed,but it can't be much. They bolt right to your license plate,and there are just a couple of wires that run to the front of your car so the camera comes on when you put it in reverse.

You can probably get a local high school auto shop class to install one for free.

@sneakypete

Good to know. I'll look into the costs and see if it's something I'm willing to spend the money for. At my advanced age, I do intend to keep this car until I leave earth or until I'm no longer able to drive, whichever comes first. This could be a justified expenditure if it's as reasonable as you're indicating. Thanks for the info.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: For The Love Of All That Is Holy, Stop Backing Into Parking Spaces
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2023, 03:53:00 am »
@sneakypete

Good to know. I'll look into the costs and see if it's something I'm willing to spend the money for. At my advanced age, I do intend to keep this car until I leave earth or until I'm no longer able to drive, whichever comes first. This could be a justified expenditure if it's as reasonable as you're indicating. Thanks for the info.

@AllThatJazzZ

Don't forget contacting the local high schools to get their auto shop class to install it for free. If not,the installation will cost more than you paid for the camera.

Have them put the screen on the inside of your sun visor. That way you can flip it down and see what you are doing when backing up.

Check out this amazon URL. Buying there can save you money you would have spent on gas driving around to get prices and comparing he various models.    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=back+up+cameras&ref=nb_sb_noss

It will save you some time and money you would have spent driving around to shop for a deal. I have had mine so long I  had no idea until tonight that many now come with night vision cameras!

Seems like prices on new ones now start at around 25 bucks,but amazon usually ships for free,so you can save some money there by not having to drive around or pay sales taxes when you do buy one.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 04:04:03 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
See, now... I had a snappy comeback ready to go @Hoodat ... But then I seen @debrawiest measuring you up for a willow switch and fixin to call you by all three names...  :whistle: :bolt:

Just came back to point out it really wasn't *ME* for a change.  happy77
:silly: :silly: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Let me... I'll step into that truck for the first time, and pull a Rockford with that puppy and never lose the lane. Of course, red and blue lights tend to inspire me, so...  :laugh:

Lol, I can't say I was heck on wheels (notice the sweet linguistics so DebraWiest keeps me in her good graces), but I could back up decent before the ole neck stop turning so well... I might just get me one of those back up camera things. Heck, I guess with a 12 volt converter, I could use one as a front door camera (I don't have a smart phone) on the cheap ($50 bucks ain't bad). 

The first time I drove a car (stick shift) I hit 3 things (bumped car in front of me, it hit the camper), but I ain't wrecked since then. But my back up vision is dangerous now so I go way slow backing up at night. The rear view mirror just is horrible looking through my camper, so I use side mirrors more than anything.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:11:53 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

Lol, I can't say I was heck on wheels (notice the sweet linguistics so DebraWiest keeps me in her good graces), but I could back up decent before the ole neck stop turning so well... I might just get me one of those back up camera things. Heck, I guess with a 12 volt converter, I could use one as a front door camera (I don't have a smart phone) on the cheap ($50 bucks ain't bad). 

The first time I drove a car (stick shift) I hit 3 things (bumped car in front of me, it hit the camper), but I ain't wrecked since then. But my back up vision is dangerous now so I go way slow backing up at night. The rear view mirror just is horrible looking through my camper, so I use side mirrors more than anything.

My old man was a driver too... And he had me backing up by the mirrors before my training wheels were off my bike. Never learned to crane my neck... Always by the mirrors. Heck, he had mirrors on the tractor... and I backed the hay wagon or the manure spreader the same dang way... I can probably cuss that man for much (not that I ever do), but that ain't one of em. That fancy back up vid wouldn't likely do me a lick of good.  :shrug: Not so long as there's decent mirrors.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
My old man was a driver too... And he had me backing up by the mirrors before my training wheels were off my bike. Never learned to crane my neck... Always by the mirrors. Heck, he had mirrors on the tractor... and I backed the hay wagon or the manure spreader the same dang way... I can probably cuss that man for much (not that I ever do), but that ain't one of em. That fancy back up vid wouldn't likely do me a lick of good.  :shrug: Not so long as there's decent mirrors.

@roamer_1

They are the next thing to magic when the backing up gets close and you are trying to back your trailer ball up to a trailer tongue.

Or any stationary object narrower than your vehicle,as far as that goes.

If you ever try it once,you sill smack yourself in the head for not doing it earlier.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

They are the next thing to magic when the backing up gets close and you are trying to back your trailer ball up to a trailer tongue.

Or any stationary object narrower than your vehicle,as far as that goes.

If you ever try it once,you sill smack yourself in the head for not doing it earlier.

@sneakypete

Meh... Kinda like butt-warmers... Silly.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Be grateful those street parking spaces haven't been converted into bike lanes ... yet.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Be grateful those street parking spaces haven't been converted into bike lanes ... yet.

Yup.

Online Polly Ticks

Your not wrong.
The mayor of Louisville from 2011 - 2023 was not-so-fondly known as Mayor Bike Lane.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Kamaji

In parts of Manhattan, on certain avenues they moved the curbside parking out one lane, into what used to be one of the travel lanes, and turned the curbside lane into a bike lane.  Insanity prevails.