Author Topic: For The Love Of All That Is Holy, Stop Backing Into Parking Spaces Mark Hemingway  (Read 3291 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

Some industrial employers make “straight out” parking mandatory. It provides safer egress in the event of an emergency.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@mystery-ak

WHY do you think it takes extra time to back into a parking space?

Seems quicker to me because you have more control over your steering while backing up,and this makes it easier to center your car in the parking space.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: For The Love Of All That Is Holy, Stop Backing Into Parking Spaces
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2023, 03:15:11 pm »
With backup cameras it's sorta trivial to backup into parking spaces nowadays.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Huh? They make it easiser to back up,and are useless for anything else.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2023, 03:15:52 pm »
Meh. I can see what is immediately behind me.  I cannot see if some goober is flying up the row 3 cars down and will smash into me if I back out.

@Polly Ticks

BINGO!

Offline roamer_1

All y'all need lifted pickups. Then you can see all the rows, and three blocks away.

Offline EdinVA

All y'all need lifted pickups. Then you can see all the rows, and three blocks away.

But you can only get one wheel on a Lamborghini and it makes your truck lean..

Offline roamer_1

But you can only get one wheel on a Lamborghini and it makes your truck lean..

Not if there's a Ferrari next to the Lambo...  :laugh:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
It doesn't happen very often in my case, but if safety is ever a concern where you park , it is always better to get the hell out of dodge in "D" than in "R"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
What is this 'parking spaces'?

That help?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:19:00 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I always back in. The rail yard I reported to prior to retirement required it of employees. It's my preferred way to park, and I don't really care who approves or disapproves of it.
Same here. Parking on drilling locations is required to be facing out, not in.
For a few reasons it is safer, most notably:
If anything goes wrong, exiting the location (and the area) in a hurry is simplified if people aren't trying to back out, and you can see everything going on on location when you pull out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
:silly: 888high58888
True story: the Dollar Generals where I live all have horse hitches to accommodate the Amish, who'll ride up in the parking lot with their horse and buggy.

We have quite a few recreational riders out here, too.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

True story: the Dollar Generals where I live all have horse hitches to accommodate the Amish, who'll ride up in the parking lot with their horse and buggy.

We have quite a few recreational riders out here, too.

True story... all the way into High School, they had hitching posts built into the schools. And the Post Office.

No so much anymore.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2023, 12:32:36 am »
   Quit yer bitchin and get a smaller boat.

This is exactly like my land yacht, and I back that puppy in every chance I get. I don't care if people get in a snit about it. I'm 4'9", and doing the 360-head swivel thing when backing out is harder than it was in my younger and taller years (when I was every bit of 4'11"). BTW, no cameras on those models. I'm not sure they could be retrofitted, but I wouldn't mind having one.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2023, 12:43:19 am »
This is exactly like my land yacht, and I back that puppy in every chance I get. I don't care if people get in a snit about it. I'm 4'9", and doing the 360-head swivel thing when backing out is harder than it was in my younger and taller years (when I was every bit of 4'11"). BTW, no cameras on those models. I'm not sure they could be retrofitted, but I wouldn't mind having one.

@AllThatJazzZ

Of course they can be retrofitted. You can buy them at practically any parts store. I THINK I paid around 10 bucks for the last one I bought.

I don't know how much it would cost you to have one installed,but it can't be much. They bolt right to your license plate,and there are just a couple of wires that run to the front of your car so the camera comes on when you put it in reverse.

You can probably get a local high school auto shop class to install one for free.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2023, 12:48:54 am »
No!

I second that.  First of all, backing into a spot is easier than pulling into one because the maneuverability (i.e. the steering axle) remains outside the space.  Secondly, when you back into a space, there is no moving car that can hit you.  Contrast that with backing out of a space into moving traffic.  And thirdly, it is a safety issue.  If you have to evacuate an area quickly, your vehicle is already in a position to move forward.

I have been in many chemical plants where backing into spaces was required.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2023, 03:27:58 am »
With backup cameras it's sorta trivial to backup into parking spaces nowadays.

With backup cameras, which have wide-angle lenses, it is pointless to back into parking spaces:  you get a better view of danger pulling out backwards with the camera's view from the back end of your car (or truck) giving you wide angle coverage of what's behind you than you do of danger in front of you looking over your hood from your vantage point in the middle of your vehicle pulling out forward after you backed in.

This effect is probably far less pronounced in a high-cab pickup truck, and is surely more extreme in my favored vehicle, a Mazda MX-5 RF, than in most cars, but it is clearly safer to pull in forward and back out when driving a late model vehicle with a back-up camera and rear hazard warning system, than to back in and pull out forward.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 03:28:44 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
On one of my many trips to the Home Depot near me, I saw where a jacked up pickup with around 42" tires backed in and his tires ate up the whole side of the car that was parked next to him.

Online corbe

:whistle:   You know what they say about Men with big Belt Buckles or Big Tires
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I only shop in places where you can pull through so it is like backing up into a spot. I often do have to park further out than most folks.

Can I back up fairly well, yes... but not so much in the dark with my stupid camper shell with tinted windows that ain't been washed all Winter.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 05:28:59 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

Can I back up fairly well, yes... but not so much in the dark with my stupid camper shell with tinted windows that ain't been washed all Winter.

Let me... I'll step into that truck for the first time, and pull a Rockford with that puppy and never lose the lane. Of course, red and blue lights tend to inspire me, so...  :laugh:

Offline Hoodat

@roamer_1 can back that truck up a goat's ass, make a U-turn in reverse, and come out smelling like a rose.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 10:37:48 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
@roamer_1 can back that truck up a goat's ass, make a U-turn in reverse, and come out smelling like a rose.

Imagery, gentlemen!
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Hoodat

Yes ma'am.