Author Topic: For The Love Of All That Is Holy, Stop Backing Into Parking Spaces Mark Hemingway  (Read 3308 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
For The Love Of All That Is Holy, Stop Backing Into Parking Spaces
By: Mark Hemingway
January 06, 2023

If you’re still backing into parking spaces, just cut it out and pull straight into them the way basic geometry demands.

About a mile from where I sit typing this ensconced in my comfortable suburban existence is a strip mall. This place serves a number of my family’s basic needs, and I find myself going there quite a bit — there’s a grocery store, a couple of coffee shops, a dry cleaner, an immediate care, a UPS store, an ABC, a sports bar, and a number of fast-casual restaurants. And, of course, this is all connected by a large, sprawling parking lot.

Having traveled to this same establishment hundreds of times over a period of years, I’ve noticed a dramatic change in driver behavior, and one that has made running errands rather trying. I don’t want to overstate the problem, but after years of close study, I have arrived at the conclusion that people who back into parking spaces are history’s greatest monsters.

It would not be unreasonable to assume a couple of thousand cars are coming and going from my neighborhood strip mall on a given day. Given that much traffic, there’s a basic formula for efficiency here: The time it takes to get your car into a space added to the time it takes to pull out of the space.

Now a great many drivers seem to be under the impression that, because being able to pull out of parking space when you’re already facing forward is a little quicker than backing straight out of a space, this somehow makes up for any extra time it took to back into the space. Please go to your local busy parking lot with a stopwatch. I assure you, it does not.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2023/01/06/for-the-love-of-all-that-is-holy-stop-backing-into-parking-spaces/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online corbe

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 03:02:47 pm »

BY: MARK HEMINGWAY
JANUARY 06, 2023

If you’re still backing into parking spaces, just cut it out and pull straight into them the way basic geometry demands.

About a mile from where I sit typing this ensconced in my comfortable suburban existence is a strip mall. This place serves a number of my family’s basic needs, and I find myself going there quite a bit — there’s a grocery store, a couple of coffee shops, a dry cleaner, an immediate care, a UPS store, an ABC, a sports bar, and a number of fast-casual restaurants. And, of course, this is all connected by a large, sprawling parking lot.

Having traveled to this same establishment hundreds of times over a period of years, I’ve noticed a dramatic change in driver behavior, and one that has made running errands rather trying. I don’t want to overstate the problem, but after years of close study, I have arrived at the conclusion that people who back into parking spaces are history’s greatest monsters.

It would not be unreasonable to assume a couple of thousand cars are coming and going from my neighborhood strip mall on a given day. Given that much traffic, there’s a basic formula for efficiency here: The time it takes to get your car into a space added to the time it takes to pull out of the space.

Now a great many drivers seem to be under the impression that, because being able to pull out of parking space when you’re already facing forward is a little quicker than backing straight out of a space, this somehow makes up for any extra time it took to back into the space. Please go to your local busy parking lot with a stopwatch. I assure you, it does not.

Turning while backing into a space is a perilous process, exacerbated by the relative narrowness of the channels between rows in a given parking lot. That’s because there’s no room for error; one misjudged angle while you’re looking over your shoulder results in a small crunch that could cost you a few thousand dollars, to say nothing of the insurance hassle. Even if you think you’re being relatively quick in backing up, there are powerful incentives to make sure you’re extra careful, i.e. slow, when backing into a parking space.

<..snip..>

https://thefederalist.com/2023/01/06/for-the-love-of-all-that-is-holy-stop-backing-into-parking-spaces/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

Re: For The Love Of All That Is Holy, Stop Backing Into Parking Spaces
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 03:05:31 pm »
No!

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 03:05:43 pm »
   Quit yer bitchin and get a smaller boat.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 03:08:17 pm »
   Quit yer bitchin and get a smaller boat.

I can parallel park those bad boys with 6 inches to spare front and back.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 03:10:02 pm »
I admit he has a point about people backing into angled parking spaces.  That's just weird.  And I always keep in mind whether or not I'm going to put any large purchases into my trunk. 

Otherwise .... nope.  Going to keep backing in, thanks.  When I come out of the store and there are two huge SUVs on each side of me, I can see much easier pulling out forward than trying to back out safely.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 03:18:54 pm »
With backup cameras it's sorta trivial to backup into parking spaces nowadays.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 03:40:42 pm »
With backup cameras it's sorta trivial to backup into parking spaces nowadays.

Meh. I can see what is immediately behind me.  I cannot see if some goober is flying up the row 3 cars down and will smash into me if I back out.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline MOD7

• don't always see the Light but I feel the heat
Merged Topics

Offline Kamaji

Merged Topics

Which one had the original right-of-way?

:silly:

Online corbe

:whistle:   It seems corbe was a little slow backing in as @mystery-ak just zipped in head first. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 04:01:30 pm »
Meh. I can see what is immediately behind me.  I cannot see if some goober is flying up the row 3 cars down and will smash into me if I back out.

That's why people do it. I've seen so many drivers just go crazy in a parking lot like it's a NASCAR speedway. I had one guy a couple of weeks back nearly take off my front end while pulling into his parking spot like it was an aircraft carrier landing.
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I back-in everywhere.  You never know when you might need a fast get-a-way after stabbing a libtard in the Walmart parking lot.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
There's a street in downtown Austin where the parking spaces are angled such that drivers have to back into them... the angle is away from the flow of traffic, so they are virtually impossible to pull into driving forward.

Kind of appropriate for the place called Goofytown.
Let it burn.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
I back-in everywhere.  You never know when you might need a fast get-a-way after stabbing a libtard in the Walmart parking lot.

Don’t liberals mostly shop at Target?  :pondering:
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Don’t liberals mostly shop at Target?  :pondering:

Our WallyWorld is in a big Snow Bird flocking area.  It is lousy with Canadians and North Easterners. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Going in reverse will always put you under threat of liability. If you're backing out of a parking spot and some jerk deliberately T-bones you, it doesn't matter —you get held liable and get charged with unsafe backing, a moving violation that blemishes your driving record, increases your insurance and disqualifies you from a lot of jobs.

It's much more difficult to pull off that kind of trap backing into a space surrounded by parked cars.

It's all about the liability.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Going in reverse will always put you under threat of liability. If you're backing out of a parking spot and some jerk deliberately T-bones you, it doesn't matter —you get held liable and get charged with unsafe backing, a moving violation that blemishes your driving record, increases your insurance and disqualifies you from a lot of jobs.

It's much more difficult to pull off that kind of trap backing into a space surrounded by parked cars.

It's all about the liability.

I have no doubt that that is the motivation behind it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GrouchoTex

True confession time:

I am a bit short in stature, so sometimes it is easier for me to back in, staying in the lines, than it is to look over the hood.
I have try an adjust so as not to block other people's car doors, and get door dings, etc...
Quicker for me to back in than go back and forth trying to get in the space correctly, in those instances.
All because of the back-up camera, which I didn't have until I bought a new truck 2 years ago.
I tell ya, I see more trucks (like mine) and large SUV's doing this all the time.

I figure we could all get together and sing the "Short People" song, by Randy Newman.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 07:28:10 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline ironhorsedriver

I always back in. The rail yard I reported to prior to retirement required it of employees. It's my preferred way to park, and I don't really care who approves or disapproves of it.

Offline EdinVA

The time it takes to get your car into a space added to the time it takes to pull out of the space.
Poor thing... we must be interfering with someones mommy time.... Must be nice not to be worried about anything bigger than this..

Offline GrouchoTex

Poor thing... we must be interfering with someones mommy time.... Must be nice not to be worried about anything bigger than this..

LOL, yep, it is a bit of a 1st world problem.
Bigger fish to fry out there....

Online roamer_1

What is this 'parking spaces'?

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline mountaineer

This is a heck of a thing to get upset about.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org