Author Topic: Boehner’s tears, Obama’s tribute highlight Pelosi’s Capitol portrait unveiling  (Read 440 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Boehner’s tears, Obama’s tribute highlight Pelosi’s Capitol portrait unveiling
Washington Post,  Dec 14,  2022

A generation of congressional leaders fought back tears on Wednesday as they unveiled the official portrait of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), the first woman to hold the chamber’s gavel, and the first to have her likeness immortalized in the Speaker’s Lobby.

In her remarks, Pelosi thanked her colleagues for helping her craft such a storied congressional career, noting that she made history as the first female House speaker only because her caucus “had the courage to elect a woman.”

Figures including former House speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) joined Pelosi in the Capitol’s Statuary Hall to celebrate her portrait and speakership. While Pelosi will remain in Congress, she will not serve as speaker, or in House Democratic leadership, in the next session.

More:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/12/14/pelosi-portrait-capitol-boehner-obama/

'Boehner gets emotional speaking at @SpeakerPelosi portrait unveiling ceremony: "My girls told me, 'Tell the Speaker how much we admire her.'  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/cspan/status/1603210484089495552

FTA  ---

Former president Barack Obama also spoke via video, reminding the crowd that his love for the speaker “is well documented.”

“Whenever I get stressed about what’s happening in Washington, I always feel better knowing that Nancy is on the case,” Obama said. “And that’s because for Nancy, nothing is impossible.”

Pelosi, he said, was the Democrat who did not give up on his signature ACA in 2009, not even after Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) died, leaving Democrats with one fewer vote in the Senate.

“She would always say: ‘If the gate is closed, we’ll push it open,’” Obama recalled.

Pelosi, he said, “will go down as one of the most accomplished legislator leaders in American history.”

“And even after insurrectionists literally broke into her office,” Obama said, “she never stopped defending democracy here at home and around the world.”

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Dorian Gray...

(where's the real one?)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis