Author Topic: Gov. Abbott Blasts Biden Admin in Open Letter- "Your Inaction Has Led to Catastrophic Consequences"  (Read 169 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
BorderHawk by Allan Wall 11/18/2022

https://borderhawk.blog/your-inaction-has-led-to-catastrophic-consequences-gov-abbott-blasts-biden-admin-in-open-letter/

"Your Inaction Has Led to Catastrophic Consequences" - Gov. Abbott Blasts Biden Admin in Open Letter

On November 16, Abbott sent a letter to Joe Biden himself, also sending carbon copies to U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas.

It begins thusly:

“The U.S. Constitution won ratification by promising the States, in Article IV, § 4, that the federal government ‘shall protect each of them against Invasion.’ By refusing to enforce the immigration laws enacted by Congress, including 8 U.S.C. § 1325(a)(1)’s criminal prohibition against aliens entering the United States between authorized ports of entry, your Administration has made clear that it will not honor that guarantee. The federal government’s failure has forced me to invoke Article I, § 10, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution, thereby enabling the State of Texas to protect its own territory against invasion by the Mexican drug cartels.”

Article I, § 10, Clause 3 stipulates: “No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.”

Therefore, since Texas is being invaded, this clause can take effect.

“Your inaction has led to catastrophic consequences,” writes Abbott to Biden.  “Texans are paying the price for your failure.”

Abbott returns to the constitutional justification:

“By opening our border to this record-breaking level of illegal immigration, you and your Administration are in violation of Article IV, § 4 of the U.S. Constitution. Your sustained dereliction of duty compels Texas to invoke the powers reserved in Article I, § 10, Clause 3…”

“Using that authority, Texas will escalate our efforts to repel and turn back any immigrant who seeks to enter our State at a border crossing that Congress has designated as illegal; to return to the border those who do cross illegally; and to arrest criminals who violate Texas law.”

Abbott tells Biden, “All of this can be avoided, of course, if you will simply enforce the laws that are already on the books,” and then spells out what the administration could do to secure the border.

Gov. Abbott has made a powerful case here.

How will the Biden administration respond?