Author Topic: Worried China might seize Taiwan sooner, Navy chief pushes readiness  (Read 155 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Worried China might seize Taiwan sooner, Navy chief pushes readiness
By Megan Eckstein
 Oct 19, 07:25 PM

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Navy has adopted a “fight tonight” mentality as both China and Russia grow more aggressive, the chief of naval operations said, meaning the service must become more ready and more lethal for a near-term conflict.

Adm. Mike Gilday said he stands by prioritizing readiness, then lethality and then growing the size of the fleet, but said during remarks at the Atlantic Council Wednesday the potential for a conflict with China in the next couple years makes it important to do all three.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken this week said China may act “on a much faster timeline” than previously thought, following a Communist Party congress in which Chinese leader Xi Jinping reportedly said China reserves the “option to take all necessary measures” to reunify with Taiwan.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2022/10/19/worried-china-might-seize-taiwan-sooner-navy-chief-pushes-readiness/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson