Author Topic: Justice Dept. fines Maryland business $300k for asking immigrants for 'specific' work documents  (Read 455 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Justice Dept. fines Maryland business $300k for asking immigrants for 'specific' work documents

Federal law allows immigrant workers to choose which documents to provide.

By Just the News staff
Updated: October 14, 2022 - 12:10pm

The U.S. Department of Justice has hit a Maryland business with a hefty $300,000 fine after it was discovered asking immigrant workers for specific documentation of their right to work in the U.S.

The DOJ said in a press release on Thursday that janitorial company Professional Maintenance Management "discriminated against its non-U.S. citizen workers when checking their permission to work in the United States."

The company was reportedly demanding that noncitizens provide "specific documents" in order to "prove they had permission to work in the United States."

https://justthenews.com/government/federal-agencies/justice-dept-fines-maryland-business-300k-asking-immigrants-specific
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
WTF'nF?

If I go to work in the US, as an American Citizen, I have to fill out the form I9 and bring identifying documentation proving I am an American and entitled to work here.

No less should be required of immigrants who come here to work, that they document who they are and that they have a right to work here.

At some point, the requirements of the law and the prohibitions of the courts are going to collide head-on, if they have not already.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Um, that's the law.  Under the Immigration Reform Act of 1986/1987, employers are required by Federal law to obtain documentation and verification from all hires that they are legal American citizens, legal Resident Aliens, or have legal Work Visas.

So, the DOJ is fining a company for following Federal law?

twilight zonexxxx

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well I hope the business fines the DOJ for fining them because they followed federal law. I am way past fed up with the illegals being treated not just as citizens but better and with more rights than actual American Citizens and legal resident aliens! 9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"If I go to work in the US, as an American Citizen, I have to fill out the form I9 and bring identifying documentation proving I am an American and entitled to work here."

No, Comrade Joe, you do not understand.

The requirement to provide i9 and additional documentation is only demanded of legal citizens. Such as you.

The Party does not expect illegal aliens to comply, and if you're an employer you'll be subject to punishment if you discriminate against them by asking for such documentation.

Understand, Comrade?

(clearly, Joe, even with your scientific mind, you have much learnin' yet ahead of you for life in the new People's Republic of America!)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"If I go to work in the US, as an American Citizen, I have to fill out the form I9 and bring identifying documentation proving I am an American and entitled to work here."

No, Comrade Joe, you do not understand.

The requirement to provide i9 and additional documentation is only demanded of legal citizens. Such as you.

The Party does not expect illegal aliens to comply, and if you're an employer you'll be subject to punishment if you discriminate against them by asking for such documentation.

Understand, Comrade?

(clearly, Joe, even with your scientific mind, you have much learnin' yet ahead of you for life in the new People's Republic of America!)
Well, I'm old fashioned. I expect equal protection under the law, even though the present administration (like most Democrats) doesn't believe in such a thing.  But then, I strongly suspect few, if any, of them have even read the Constitution they so frequently yabble about, much less understood it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis