Author Topic: America today vs. 1950 — what we are missing  (Read 1872 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: America today vs. 1950 — what we are missing
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2022, 05:23:44 pm »
This may be true and I'll have to take your guys word for it, I wasn't alive it in 1950. But people have said this stuff for ages about all time periods. They remember the good and forget the bad. The past is as much just a concept as the future is (as someone said n the member's lounge last week). People have said the same about time period I can remember and just say whatever. The past seems safe and non threatening because we know we made it out alive.

Offline corbe

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2022, 05:39:07 pm »
   Good point @Weird Tolkienish Figure
   My Grandparents probably abhorred the Flappers (roaring 20s) just as bad as my parents detested the counterculture movement of the 60's.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2022, 06:06:53 pm »
This may be true and I'll have to take your guys word for it, I wasn't alive it in 1950. But people have said this stuff for ages about all time periods. They remember the good and forget the bad. The past is as much just a concept as the future is (as someone said n the member's lounge last week). People have said the same about time period I can remember and just say whatever. The past seems safe and non threatening because we know we made it out alive.
We were pretty gdamn poor in the fifties and early sixties. Lower middle class...at best.
My father finally starting making a little more money in the mid sixties, but we never went on trips to Disneyland or anywhere else except to the grandparents who lived 600 miles away. And we rarely did that. And my father drove straight through the whole 600 miles. No stops in motels.
But as a kid I'd rather have been doing what I did for fun back then than what kids do today with all their gadgets. We certainly got a lot more exercise. Running, biking, playing sports, swimming, hiking, etc. No electronic toys and your choices for fun are pretty much directed to doing stuff outside the house.
I wouldn't want to be that poor again, but again as a kid I'd rather have done all that than sit inside my room with a play station or fiddling on an iphone.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2022, 06:38:08 pm »
Did someone say Bullet Bras?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2022, 06:49:07 pm »
We were pretty gdamn poor in the fifties and early sixties. Lower middle class...at best.
My father finally starting making a little more money in the mid sixties, but we never went on trips to Disneyland or anywhere else except to the grandparents who lived 600 miles away. And we rarely did that. And my father drove straight through the whole 600 miles. No stops in motels.
But as a kid I'd rather have been doing what I did for fun back then than what kids do today with all their gadgets. We certainly got a lot more exercise. Running, biking, playing sports, swimming, hiking, etc. No electronic toys and your choices for fun are pretty much directed to doing stuff outside the house.
I wouldn't want to be that poor again, but again as a kid I'd rather have done all that than sit inside my room with a play station or fiddling on an iphone.

Yeah but I made my career out of it. So in that way I benefitted at least. And discovered a lifelong passion.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2022, 07:15:16 pm »
Fertility.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline berdie

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2022, 08:38:05 pm »
Respect. Respect for parents, teachers, policemen and all authority figures, God, country....and yourself.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2022, 08:48:23 pm »
Humility. Balance. Perspective. Discernment. Patience. Perseverance. Community.

To name a few off a long list.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2022, 09:16:34 pm »
Individual responsibility!

Individual responsibility and personal liberty are inextricably linked, if you want the latter, you MUST accept the former. There is NO way around that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2022, 09:19:23 pm »
Individual responsibility!

Individual responsibility and personal liberty are inextricably linked, if you want the latter, you MUST accept the former. There is NO way around that.

EXACTLY as I said @Bigun !

Liberty has responsibilities.
Freedom has consequences.

:beer:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2022, 10:22:16 pm »
Mothers are MIA.
Single wage-earner families with a mother and father.

and a lot of small farms, often wiped out by urban sprawl, because that farmland makes a great site for the next housing development.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2022, 10:38:23 pm »
One other thing that existed in the 1950's that is missing today:
An official USA immigration policy that excluded almost everyone EXCEPT whites from immigrating to the country. The intent of such policy was clear.

From around the mid 1920's until 1965 the official immigration policies were VERY restrictive and intentionally so.

Today they'll be called "racis'".
I care not for what they are called.
They WORKED.

And the reason the country is now collapsing, is because such policies were changed.
That fundamental, cultural, and yes -- racial -- "cohesiveness" that previously bound us together...
...is gone.

Offline corbe

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2022, 10:55:32 pm »
   The publication of this book is when it changed forever. 

Eisenhower actually pulled off 'Operation Wetback' 3 years before, successfully.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.