Author Topic: Fighter fleet is strained — and bill is coming due, ACC chief says  (Read 144 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Fighter fleet is strained — and bill is coming due, ACC chief says
By Stephen Losey
 Sep 23, 04:44 PM

This is stretching the fighter fleet thin, ACC head Gen. Mark Kelly said in a keynote address at the Air Force Association’s Air Space Cyber conference here — and, in a major war, will become unsustainable.

“It’s like a bill that comes to your house … for 60 multirole fighter squadrons,” Kelly told reporters in a roundtable later that day. “I’m trying to pay that bill with 48 fighter squadrons and nine attack squadrons [consisting of A-10 Thunderbolt II planes].”

While those 57 combined fighter and attack squadrons are not far off from 60, Kelly said, the A-10 will not be survivable in a future war against a peer or near-peer adversary with advanced air defenses. The Air Force has also for years pushed to retire some or all of the A-10 fleet.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/09/23/fighter-fleet-is-strained-and-bill-is-coming-due-acc-chief-says/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:24:14 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson