Author Topic: Why are climate activists calling for reparations?  (Read 245 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why are climate activists calling for reparations?
« on: September 25, 2022, 11:55:22 am »
Why are climate activists calling for reparations?
AFP - Yesterday 9:39 PM

Pakistan's catastrophic floods have led to renewed calls for rich polluting nations, which grew their economies through heavy use of fossil fuels, to compensate developing countries for the devastating impacts caused by the climate crisis.

The currently favored term for this concept is "loss and damage" payments, but some campaigners want to go further and frame the issue as "climate reparations," just as racial justice activists call for compensation for the descendants of enslaved people.

Beyond the tougher vocabulary, green groups also call for debt cancellation for cash-strapped nations that spend huge portions of their budgets servicing external loans, rather than devoting the funds to increasing resilience to a rapidly changing planet.

"There's a historical precedent of not just the industrial revolution that led to increased emissions and carbon pollution, but also the history of colonialism and the history of extraction of resources, wealth and labor," Belgium-based climate activist Meera Ghani told AFP.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/why-are-climate-activists-calling-for-reparations/ar-AA12cZSE?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=691d9cc72f2f4228a52126f3d9ff8a48
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Why are climate activists calling for reparations?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 11:58:58 am »
These wingnut activists should pay reparations to me for all the pain in the anal sphincter they have caused me with their lunatic ideas. :amen:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson