Author Topic: “Not an Army problem:” Army general blames American problems for low recruiting numbers  (Read 200 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
“Not an Army problem:” Army general blames American problems for low recruiting numbers
September 7, 2022

Quinn Welsch

The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.

Sep. 7—The “American problem” of dwindling interest in military service or fitness to enlist has Army recruitment numbers lagging. But a high-ranking Army official in Washington state is optimistic the nation’s young people still see value in serving.

“Only 23% of the people that are of age to serve are actually qualified,” Lt. Gen Xavier Brunson, who is the commander of Joint Base Lewis-McChord and the Army’s First Corps, said on a recent trip to Spokane. “This is now a condition. This is not an Army problem, so nationally what we have to look at is what’s going on with our youth.”

The Army was expected to fall short of its recruitment goal of 485,000 soldiers by nearly 20,000 for the fiscal year of 2022, according to a memo written by Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville in July. A general lack of interest, ignorance and distrust in the Army are contributing to the declining recruits, not to mention COVID-related restrictions on schools, McConville said in the memo.

https://popularmilitary.com/not-an-army-problem-army-general-blames-american-problems-for-low-recruiting-numbers/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
AND.......,he will be handing in his retirement papers in "10.....,9......8...." seconds.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!