Author Topic: Smugglers put migrants in suitcases, empty water tanks, U.S. prosecutors allege  (Read 300 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Smugglers put migrants in suitcases, empty water tanks, U.S. prosecutors allege

By Ted Hesson and Kristina Cooke - Yesterday 4:44 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. authorities unveiled indictments on Tuesday of a lucrative human smuggling operation that allegedly included moving migrants in suitcases and water tanks from the U.S.-Mexico border, as the Biden administration cracks down on groups fueling a record number of border crossings.

Eight people, mostly U.S. citizens, were indicted for their roles in smuggling hundreds of people, some hidden in wooden crates on tractor-trailers with little ventilation, according to U.S. officials and related court documents. Another six co-conspirators were cited in the court record.

The indictments are part of a broader effort by U.S. President Joe Biden's administration to disrupt smuggling networks as border arrests near 2 million this fiscal year, which began last October.

U.S. prosecutors identified Erminia Serrano Piedra, a 31-year-old Texas resident known as "Boss Lady," as the leader of the operation, which they said generated at least millions of dollars.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/smugglers-put-migrants-in-suitcases-empty-water-tanks-u-s-prosecutors-allege/ar-AA11Ned5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=89b91410e72b4526bc7c03ffb93ec4ad
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson