Author Topic: Not Enough Lithium To Satisfy US EV Adoption Goals, Says Mining CEO  (Read 335 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Not Enough Lithium To Satisfy US EV Adoption Goals, Says Mining CEO
Steven Loveday - Yesterday 10:17 AM

And there's just no way to change the situation quickly, as the US has fallen way behind.

Automakers already made it clear that the rules that will be put into law thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act will likely cripple EV producers long before promoting them. This is because the US simply doesn't have the battery material mining operations in place that are needed for the growing number of EVs on the road today. Now, the CEO of Piedmont Lithium is chiming in.

For background, the new US federal electric vehicle tax credit has strict requirements related not only to the EVs being manufactured in North America, but also to where the materials are sourced from. More specifically, the EVs' batteries must be made with materials sourced domestically, or from a country that has a free trade agreement with the US. The rules aren't as strict initially, but by 2026, vehicles will need to have 80% of critical materials sourced based on the rules.

Having rules that help make the US less reliant on other countries is arguably a positive. However, it's going to take some time for the country to catch up when it comes to lithium extraction and processing. Piedmont Lithium CEO Keith Phillips told Yahoo Finance Live in a recent interview:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/not-enough-lithium-to-satisfy-us-ev-adoption-goals-says-mining-ceo/ar-AA11B8um?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=19063d8d526046aeb31d0aaa287eba83
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 11:13:21 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Not Enough Lithium To Satisfy US EV Adoption Goals, Says Mining CEO
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 11:14:15 am »
Can't drill on a 5 acre pad to get oil out from under 1280 acres, but you can dig it all up chasing lithium...

How "green" is that?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 11:51:05 am »
Not Enough Lithium?  Or too many people?

Offline verga

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 05:45:05 pm »
The same issue with the Bauxite mines for Aluminum. We have 3 mines in the US and none of them are running at full capacity. When they do they make giant holes in the ground. It is the definition of strip mining.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 10:09:13 pm »
rusty swings the hammer with:
"Not Enough Lithium?  Or too many people?"

Both.
And they're working on it. Both...