Author Topic: Australian Bank's Decision About Car Loans Will Hasten Transition to EVs  (Read 364 times)

Offline Kamaji

'Expect Similar Moves Here': Australian Bank's Decision About Car Loans Will Hasten Transition to EVs

Leah Barkoukis
Aug 23, 2022

In Australia’s push to follow other developed nations’ transition to electric vehicles, one bank in the country said it will stop giving out loans for new gas or diesel vehicles beginning in 2025, including hybrids.

According to Sasha Courville, Bank Australia’s chief impact officer, the date was chosen “because the change to electric vehicles needs to happen quickly.”

"We think that the responsible thing for us to do next, is to ensure that our vehicle lending doesn’t lock our customers in to higher carbon emissions and increasingly expensive running costs in the years ahead," Courville said in a statement on Friday.

"Ultimately, our announcement today is the beginning of a conversation with our customers and a signal to the wider market that if you’re considering buying a new car, you should think seriously about an electric vehicle – both for its impact on the climate and for its lifetime cost savings."

The announcement comes as the government in Australia said it was “significantly behind the pack when it comes to electric vehicles.”

To ensure that trend doesn’t continue, “national leadership is needed,” the government added. “In this context, we believe that now is the time to have an orderly and sensible discussion about whether vehicle fuel efficiency standards could help improve the supply of electric vehicles into the Australian market, to address the cost-of-living impacts of inefficient cars, and to reduce emissions from the transport sector.”

The idea of cutting off financial support for combustion engines is not new, according to CNBC.

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2022/08/23/australian-bank-plans-to-stop-giving-out-loans-for-gas-vehicles-by-2025-n2612113

Offline Kamaji

More eco-fascism.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The shareholders may have something different to say.

Banks are in business to make money.  Demand for loans drives loan rates and bank profits.

If there was organic demand for electric vehicle car loans, they would not have to distort the market by stopping loans for legacy fuel vehicles.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.