Author Topic: America's Meat Shortage Is Self-Inflicted and Fixable  (Read 515 times)

Offline Kamaji

America's Meat Shortage Is Self-Inflicted and Fixable
« on: July 21, 2022, 03:55:39 pm »
America's Meat Shortage Is Self-Inflicted and Fixable

How can it be that with so much cattle in America, we sometimes can't buy meat?

JOHN STOSSEL

How can it be that with so much cattle in America, we sometimes can't buy meat?

At the beginning of the pandemic, Costco, Wegmans, and Kroger limited purchases of beef. Hundreds of Wendy's outlets ran out of hamburgers.

"How the hell can this be?" says Rep. Thomas Massie (R–Ky.) in my new video. "They (Wendy's) were out of hamburger, yet you could see cattle from the drive-thru!" 

It happens because of stupid government rules.

Massie owns a small farm in Kentucky. "I'd rather deal with cattle than congressmen," he jokes. "At least (cattle) exhibit learned behavior."

But politicians often don't.

Today, USDA inspectors do a better job. They test for bacteria. But the inspection process is so cumbersome and expensive, many small companies can't afford it.

The result, complained President Joe Biden recently, is too much market concentration: "Four big corporations control more than half the markets in beef, pork, and poultry!"

His remedy, sadly, is to give your tax money to some smaller meatpackers.

Of course, such subsidies and regulations increase market concentration.

"The bigger the government, the bigger the corporations," Massie points out. "People who don't like big corporations haven't figured that out."

During the beginning of the pandemic, it was that market concentration that caused meat shortages when a few big meat processing plants shut down due to COVID infections.

"We made our food supply brittle," says Massie. "One small disruption throws the whole thing off."

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/07/20/americas-meat-shortage-is-self-inflicted-and-fixable/

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: America's Meat Shortage Is Self-Inflicted and Fixable
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 04:29:13 pm »
I heard this on the radio the other day, and it is correct.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 04:37:00 pm »
I heard this on the radio the other day, and it is correct.

I would go further than that to say it is intentional. Just like the DEF shortage was intentional to purposefully choke diesel operations, choking shipping, and exacerbating supply chain problems.

It is on purpose. and it is world wide.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 04:51:18 pm »
EVERYTHING this administration has done is fixable! ALL we need is the will to do what's necessary!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 08:19:16 am »
EVERYTHING this administration has done is fixable! ALL we need is the will to do what's necessary!
What we need is for the government to get out of the way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 01:37:57 pm »
What we need is for the government to get out of the way.

:yowsa: Job one for sure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien