Author Topic: Republicans Are Favored to Win the Senate  (Read 541 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans Are Favored to Win the Senate
« on: July 14, 2022, 01:41:31 pm »

ANALYSIS
By Sean Trende - RCP Staff

Recently there has been a spate of stories about Republicans’ difficulties in taking over the Senate. These analyses typically focus on candidates’ poor polling numbers in key states and the weakness of the Republican recruiting class.

These aren’t absurd analyses; I’ve referred to the battle between the overall electoral environment and Republican candidate quality as “the irresistible force versus the immovable object” in previous columns. Had the Republican Party fielded its A-team in states like Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona, we probably would not be talking about Democrats even having a shot at retaining the Senate.

At the same time, we shouldn’t get carried away. While Republican candidate quality is an issue, good analysis should not lose sight of the fact that environment matters as well, and probably more so these days. President Joe Biden’s job approval is 37.7% in the RealClearPolitics Average, a mark reached only briefly by former President Donald Trump in August and December of 2017, and never touched by former President Barack Obama. While the map isn’t as favorable for Republicans as it will be in 2024, it isn’t unfavorable, either.

To see this best, let’s consider the races on an individual basis. Republicans need to net just one seat to win control of the Senate. Right now, Democrats have two realistic targets: Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. (Others, like Missouri and North Carolina, probably only come into play if the environment shifts in a dramatically favorable way for Democrats.) In Wisconsin, incumbent Senator Ron Johnson is a poor fit for the state ideologically. In Pennsylvania, Republicans nominated Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is most famous for dispensing sometimes-questionable medical advice on the Oprah Winfrey show, and who resides in a multi-million dollar home in New Jersey. This is compounded by the fact that Democrats have nominated Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who doesn’t code as an East Coast progressive and who may be able to peel off working class voters in the state. Also, if we are being honest, Oz’s dual Turkish citizenship is unlikely to help him here.

more
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/07/13/gop_likely_to_take_senate_but_its_far_from_a_lock_147883.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Idiot

Re: Republicans Are Favored to Win the Senate
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 02:43:54 pm »
ANALYSIS
By Sean Trende - RCP Staff

Recently there has been a spate of stories about Republicans’ difficulties in taking over the Senate. These analyses typically focus on candidates’ poor polling numbers in key states and the weakness of the Republican recruiting class.

These aren’t absurd analyses; I’ve referred to the battle between the overall electoral environment and Republican candidate quality as “the irresistible force versus the immovable object” in previous columns. Had the Republican Party fielded its A-team in states like Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona, we probably would not be talking about Democrats even having a shot at retaining the Senate.

At the same time, we shouldn’t get carried away. While Republican candidate quality is an issue, good analysis should not lose sight of the fact that environment matters as well, and probably more so these days. President Joe Biden’s job approval is 37.7% in the RealClearPolitics Average, a mark reached only briefly by former President Donald Trump in August and December of 2017, and never touched by former President Barack Obama. While the map isn’t as favorable for Republicans as it will be in 2024, it isn’t unfavorable, either.

To see this best, let’s consider the races on an individual basis. Republicans need to net just one seat to win control of the Senate. Right now, Democrats have two realistic targets: Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. (Others, like Missouri and North Carolina, probably only come into play if the environment shifts in a dramatically favorable way for Democrats.) In Wisconsin, incumbent Senator Ron Johnson is a poor fit for the state ideologically. In Pennsylvania, Republicans nominated Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is most famous for dispensing sometimes-questionable medical advice on the Oprah Winfrey show, and who resides in a multi-million dollar home in New Jersey. This is compounded by the fact that Democrats have nominated Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who doesn’t code as an East Coast progressive and who may be able to peel off working class voters in the state. Also, if we are being honest, Oz’s dual Turkish citizenship is unlikely to help him here.

more
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/07/13/gop_likely_to_take_senate_but_its_far_from_a_lock_147883.html
Very doubtful.  The repubs can pretty well screw up most anything.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 02:50:36 pm »
Even if Republicans do win the senate, we will see little improvement if there is no change in leadership.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 02:55:17 pm »
I ran the numbers a few weeks back, and I am not so sure the GOP takes the senate.  Oz, Walker, and Johnson for that matter are behind.  Add the dim cheat factor, and upcoming electoral variant of COVID????.... I am even less optimistic
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 02:56:28 pm »
Even if Republicans do win the senate, we will see little improvement if there is no change in leadership.

The Seante GOP will be servant to the NWO globalist until Turtle is deposed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 05:43:20 pm »
The GOP will take the House of Representatives

They may or may not take the Senate

This election may be similar to 2010 versus 2014
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:45:48 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Idiot

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 06:06:42 pm »
The GOP will take the House of Representatives

They may or may not take the Senate

This election may be similar to 2010 versus 2014
If the rebubs don't win the house and the senate in a landslide, then it tells you just how far our country has fallen.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 06:21:39 pm »
We don't need both to mess up Biden's plans, we need one.  Take the House.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 10:36:59 pm »
potato head rolled away with:
"If the rebubs don't win the house and the senate in a landslide, then it tells you just how far our country has fallen."

I sense that there are gonna be A LOT of disappointed folks on the morning of Wednesday, November 9.

Will it then be time yet for that "New Continental Congress" ??

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 12:28:16 am »
At this point, they're more likely to lose a seat or two.  Dr. Oz is an underdog to hold Toomey's seat.  GOP seats in Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Ohio could go either way.  There are also competitive races in GOP-held Florida and Missouri.  Republicans have a shot at Democrat seats in Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, and New Hampshire ... but none of them especially promising.