Author Topic: Moving Beyond Affirmative Action  (Read 754 times)

Offline Kamaji

Moving Beyond Affirmative Action
« on: July 11, 2022, 07:39:20 pm »

If we are committed to ending discrimination by race, we need to end discrimination by race.

Peter Van Buren
Jul 11, 2022

Schools now have affinity groups, which are quasi-social or political gatherings separated by, among other things, race. You have to be black to walk into some of them. There is a history to this.

“Separate but equal” is a phrase from the Supreme Court’s 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson decision, in which the Court held that a state law requiring white and black Americans to ride in separate rail cars was constitutional under the 14th Amendment. The upshot was constitutional sanction to laws known as Jim Crow (the name of a popular minstrel character of the time) designed to maintain racial segregation by means of separate public facilities and services.

This led to the era of the Green Book, which told black Americans which hotels would allow them to stay, as well as The Jewish Vacation Guide, which offered the same kind of advice, though we talk about it less. (“Victims of Racism” is a pretty segregated category of its own, it seems.) The Court in 1954’s Brown v. Board of Education ended the “separate but equal” principle, an example from the 1950s of abandoning stare decisis.

But a new version of “separate but equal” is back. The goal of progressives now is more segregated spaces and more segregated paths into jobs and the academy. Progressives do not oppose segregation anymore; they demand it.

Jim Crow is being resurrected in schools, this time through euphemisms such as “black spaces,” “affinity circles,” “affinity dialogue,” and “community-building groups.” One kid I know was confronted with the problem of choosing which affinity group to join, as she fell into several different categories. Should she go with the Asians, or the broader POC group? The female-only POC group? Or just one of the generic women’s groups?

The return of the separate-but-equal principle is most visible today in school admissions. Separate but equal has been reimagined as offering two tracks into select schools: one of merit, usually an exam, and another that tests nothing but skin color, with standards rigged to matriculate the required percentage of black students. That the latter often results in Asian students (the on-again, off-again POC) being red-lined out seems to be another thing we don’t like to talk about, because some colors are more equal than others. All of this may be changing. The Supreme Court agreed to hear this fall two cases on whether race-based admissions programs at Harvard and the University of North Carolina are lawful.

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/moving-beyond-affirmative-action/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Moving Beyond Affirmative Action
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 08:00:32 pm »
If we are committed to ending discrimination by race, we need to end discrimination by race.

:amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 08:03:52 pm »
:amen: and  :amen:

It really is just that simple.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 08:07:50 pm »
It really is just that simple.

:yowsa:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 10:16:08 pm »
Affirmative Action aka Affirmative Discrimination was always unconstitutional under the 14th amendment that guarantees equal protection under the law.
That specifically rules out special treatment for any group over another.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 10:36:29 pm »
"If we are committed to ending discrimination by race, we need to end discrimination by race."

Nice quote, I suppose. But where did it come from?

Seem to me this was something that Chief Justice John Roberts himself  penned in a Supreme Court dissenting opinion some time back...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 10:43:30 pm »
Affirmative Action aka Affirmative Discrimination was always unconstitutional under the 14th amendment that guarantees equal protection under the law.
That specifically rules out special treatment for any group over another.

Not necessarily.  If that were the case, then women would have to be drafted the same as men.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 04:38:10 pm »
Not necessarily.  If that were the case, then women would have to be drafted the same as men.
Huh? What's does not granting special privileges to a particular ethnic group have to do with drafting women? BTW, drafting is not in the constitution.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 12:40:30 am »

This guy is delusional if he thinks the left is going to get rid of one of their most effective tools before the destruction of America occurs.

After that,it won't make any difference because the only people who will populate what USED to be called "America" will be the "Masters" and the "Serfs".

Rich blacks are fools if they think they are going to get to keep their money.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!