Author Topic: Arming School Staff  (Read 936 times)

Offline mrclose

Arming School Staff
« on: May 27, 2022, 09:40:24 pm »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline bilo

Re: Arming School Staff
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 05:42:19 pm »
concealed carry

school resource officer
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 07:43:00 pm »
Arming school staff in a gun free zone?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 08:56:25 pm »
Texas schools can already arm teachers. Politicians may push for more after Uvalde tragedy

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2022/05/25/texas-schools-can-already-arm-teachers-politicians-may-push-for-more-after-uvalde-tragedy/

The state’s schools can opt into two programs that allow campus staff to arm themselves at school.

School marshals

School districts, private schools and community colleges can appoint one or more marshals per campus. These marshals, who may be teachers or staff members, have access to a handgun at school.

The purpose is to “prevent the act of murder or serous bodily injury on school premises,” according to the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement, or TCOLE.

Marshals must be up to date on licensing and certification and take an 80-hour training course conducted by a law enforcement academy. Through this training, they learn about physical security, improving campus security, use of force, weapon proficiency and active shooter response.

The names of districts with school marshals in place and names of the employees who are marshals are confidential, said TCOLE spokeswoman Gretchen Grigsby. Currently, Texas has 256 school marshals, she added.   -----

Guardian plan

Under the more loosely regulated “guardian plan,” school boards can authorize employees to carry guns on campus. District officials are directly responsible for determining training plans and the vetting process for their guardians.

“In most cases, school districts limit employee authorization to commissioned peace officers,” a TASB document stated. But, the group notes, some districts grant guardian status to others, including classroom teachers.

The plan was created by Harrold ISD Superintendent David Thweatt in 2007.

More at link.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 10:30:14 pm »

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 10:32:34 pm »
Arming school staff is a great idea.  Hopefully the armed staff will protect the teachers and children in a timely and effective manner.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 10:36:15 pm »
I've been in the army or in Federal Security for nearly my entire adult life. The answer to this problem is neither cheap nor easy, but there is an answer. Schools are a "soft" target and that must change...these random shootings, horrific as they are, are nothing compared to the threat of an organized attack on school.

We need to follow the Israeli model of hardening schools with physical barriers and having staff/teachers be armed and trained to defend their students. Gun control will do nothing...worse than nothing. Putting an armed security guard/resource officer on site will also be of minimal value...they themselves would generally be easy to take out and their reliability/skill would be very poor...and one person cannot defend a site as large as the average elementary school.

What 's needed are multiple layers of protection...a layered defense with a number of barriers that can impede a shooter attempting to breach an education facility.

A school must be protected with three primary layers of security...the first is physical structure that is difficult to penetrate (locked steel doors that allow regress but not access...and yes...barred windows). Second, primary entrances must be controlled and monitored with persons in a protected area "allowing" controlled access only to known/cleared persons and students. Finally, most if not all teachers must be armed, trained, and they must practice responding to breach situations.

All of these elements are achievable...but we must as a nation have the will to implement such changes. If we don't do so...or if we sit around trying to implement idiotic gun control measures that are insufficient AND generally unenforceable...these attacks will continue to happen. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 10:39:13 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline mrclose

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 04:22:01 pm »

Not sure why you used a picture from snopes?

They along with everyone else, including Israel lawmen have pointed out that that wasn't a school and that isn't a teacher.

She's an armed guard, possibly military and they are more than likely on a field trip.
Israel's teacher's are no more armed than our's are.
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 04:27:45 pm »
Despite repeated claims by some gun advocates, teachers in Israel are not allowed to bring guns into their classrooms, a government spokesman said Monday.

“In general, personal weapons are not permitted on school premises in Israel,” Almog Elijis, a spokesman for the Israeli Consulate in New York, told The Post.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/02/26/no-israeli-teachers-dont-bring-guns-to-school/amp/?espv=1
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:23:09 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 05:07:42 pm »
Why not have an independent school district police force to provide protection to students during school hours?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 05:30:40 pm »
We didn't need to militarize schools 50 years ago. What's happened between now and then?

I don't want a corrupt teacher pointing a gun at my kid for pointing out she's wrong... and I've seen many a teacher fly off the handle in class in my high school days.

Let's get to the root of social toxicity first before we start turning our schools into maximum security prisons.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mrclose

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 06:30:00 pm »
We didn't need to militarize 🏫 50 years ago. What's happened between now and then?

@jmyrlefuller

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:32:35 pm by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 06:34:17 pm »
Teachers don't need guns
Potential school shooters need to believe that teachers have guns.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 07:00:31 pm »
Why not have an independent school district police force to provide protection to students during school hours?
Because pigs are corrupt and untrustworthy.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 12:15:56 am »
Because pigs are corrupt and untrustworthy.

It was sarcasm.  The Uvalde school district already has a police force to provide protection to students during school hours.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline mrclose

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 02:12:49 am »
~ Self

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 05:11:38 am »
It was sarcasm.  The Uvalde school district already has a police force to provide protection to students during school hours.
My apologies.  I didn't catch that.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 07:40:22 am »
I used to bring my gun to school and fire it in a supervised group.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2022, 08:21:08 am »
We didn't need to militarize schools 50 years ago. What's happened between now and then?

I don't want a corrupt teacher pointing a gun at my kid for pointing out she's wrong... and I've seen many a teacher fly off the handle in class in my high school days.

Let's get to the root of social toxicity first before we start turning our schools into maximum security prisons.
I fully agree.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2022, 03:23:36 pm »

Good luck with that. I don't see how you can get fathers to be responsible for their children. How do you get mothers to stop "sleeping around". How do you get authorities to interact more firmly and with greater intensity when "red flags" appear. How do you decrease the use of marijuana and anti-depressants.

One solution that does seem to work is arming teachers. I don't believe any school with teachers that are armed has had a mass shooting. Also, teachers that prop security doors open should suffer the consequences of their reckless behavior.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2022, 04:33:22 pm »

Engel v. Vitale.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 10:17:01 pm »
j myrle says:
"Let's get to the root of social toxicity first before we start turning our schools into maximum security prisons."

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2022, 07:14:04 pm »
Social toxicity, just another way of saying WOKE society and the march to a third world level society under a one world government, oppressive rule.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2022, 02:38:16 am »
The time has come to arm every teacher willing to carry.  Important is proper training and practice.  Yes, routine practice so that they shoot to kill an active attacker effectively.

That means regular time on the firing range, just like police officers.  And yes, I would pay for that.  If hostile antagonists realize they will run into opposition at a school, I believe that will be sufficient deterrence to stop 90% of school shootings into the future.

If I were a teacher, I would want the ability to carry to protect myself and the students entrusted to my care.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2022, 02:52:34 am »
The time has come to arm every teacher willing to carry.  Important is proper training and practice.  Yes, routine practice so that they shoot to kill an active attacker effectively.

That means regular time on the firing range, just like police officers.  And yes, I would pay for that.  If hostile antagonists realize they will run into opposition at a school, I believe that will be sufficient deterrence to stop 90% of school shootings into the future.

If I were a teacher, I would want the ability to carry to protect myself and the students entrusted to my care.

No. Not just like police officers. In order to become confident in your firearm handling, one needs to practice much more than the average police officer. For years I tried to shoot once a week. Once a month may be more practical.

Police 1 August 11, 2017

https://www.police1.com/police-training/articles/police-firearms-training-how-often-should-you-be-shooting-RNSWpyCwLzR9Csrf/

At a recent use-of-force class I was instructing for a public risk management group, the topic of firearms training frequency came up.

The discussion was prompted by the fact that during the latest round of FBI suspect interviews conducted for the third book in the officer assaulted and murdered trilogy, Violent Encounters, it was revealed that those suspects believed police officers trained between two and three times a week with their firearms.

In reality, most police departments only train about two times a year, averaging less than 15 hours annually.

In contrast to our frequency of training, those same suspects revealed that they practiced on average 23 times a year (or almost twice a month) with their handguns.

During a poll taken during this class which represented about a half dozen Florida law enforcement agencies, I asked how many train more than twice a year. No hands went up. When asked how many train or qualify with their duty guns only once a year, everyone raised their hands.