Author Topic: Please Don’t Go To College  (Read 112 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Please Don’t Go To College
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:49:07 pm »
Please Don’t Go To College
Higher education has become simpler and less effective as we have fetishized a modern misunderstanding of equality.

By William M. Briggs
May 25, 2022

“If learning were profaned by being made available to all and sundry,” Cardinal Richelieu predicted in 1625, “it would be found that there were more people capable of creating doubts than of resolving them, and many would show themselves more apt in opposing truth than in defending it.”

Passing by, only for a moment, the shocking elitism, so appalling to our modern ears, how did the Red Eminence fare?

The answer is obvious, as is the answer to the growing madness which surrounds us: Less, not more, education. And more elitism.

You’ve heard the slogan: “We want our college to look like America.” They say it about college, about Congress, the bureaucracy, the bar, the professoriate, almost anything. The reply should be: “No, we don’t.” I don’t want my pilot looking “like America.” America looks like the furtive guy at the end of the bar who should have been arrested years ago. Or America looks like that nice old lady we just helped load groceries into her trunk. Pilots look nothing like that. I want my pilot looking like he has the skills, and the intelligence, to fly the marvel of engineering that is a jet aircraft. I also do not want those aeronautical engineers to look like America. I’m keen on them understanding differential equations, and what stress does to aluminum welds.

The exceptions to that “almost anything” were, until recently, things like combat soldiering and professional sports. Alas, even in those sanctuaries of reality, the cry of looking like America has taken hold. Because of a false understanding of equality.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2022/05/25/please-dont-go-to-college/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Please Don’t Go To College
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 03:18:18 pm »
The largest school at our university is the business school. The largest major in it is Accounting/IT (they are together). The vast majority of people in the major are in the IT area. Our Computer Science dept has a 100% placement rate.
Second largest school is Engineering.
Countdown to Resignation

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 03:28:15 pm »
When I was a kid, it was just assumed my siblings and I would go to college. After all, my maternal grandfather was a college professor, and both my parents had degrees (my father, a masters earned after he returned from WWII service). When I went off to college, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do as a career, so my major was selected without much thought or analysis. The degree has turned out to be irrelevant to my subsequent employment, except for getting me into law school - which was another stupid decision-by-default, made because I didn't have anything else in mind.

What I wish had happened - and what all parents/grandparents might consider doing - is that my parents (or, at least, a school guidance counselor) had sat me down for a nice friendly chat at age 16 about what field of endeavor really interested me, what I might see myself doing with my life. I still might have wanted to go to college, but at least I'd know why.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 03:52:19 pm »
With the advent of the Internet, knowledge has become less scarce, thus decreased in value.

Access to capital, skill, and experience have upheld their value better than knowledge has.

To retain economic relevance, workers need to be able to differentiate themselves from their workforce competitors.

What can you do that others cannot or will not?  What are you willing to do that others aren't?

In a world of 7 billion people, what makes you so darn special?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright