Author Topic: Americans warned: Police now authorized to track you via cell phone  (Read 539 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WND 5/1/2022

'Have become de facto snitches, offering a steady stream of digital location data'

Police across America now can track citizens through their cell phones – without a warrant – despite the Fourth Amendment's ban on warrantless searches, according to a team of civil-rights lawyers at the Rutherford Institute.

That's the result of the U.S. Supreme Court deciding not to intervene in a lower court decision that authorized exactly that.

The institute had filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case Hammond v. U.S. that challenged the tracking of people through their cell phones as unconstitutional.

That tracking can tell police a person's location with great precision, "whether that person is at home, at the library, a political event, a doctor's office, etc.," the organization reported.

"Americans are being swept up into a massive digital data dragnet that does not distinguish between those who are innocent of wrongdoing, suspects, or criminals. Cell phones have become de facto snitches, offering up a steady stream of digital location data on users’ movements and travels," said constitutional attorney John W. Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute.

More: https://www.wnd.com/2022/05/americans-warned-police-now-authorized-track-cell-phone/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Leave the cell phone at home.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

Faraday bag?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Faraday bag?

That will cut off all communication to and from your phone.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Faraday bag?

Bought a couple awhile back.

They work.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

Faraday bag?

It is worth considering for if/when it becomes needful. I have a large checkbook sized leather wallet which was constructed with a faraday cage within... I use it for holding money, cards, receipts, and possibles normally, but it will hold my phone too if desired, so at any given time, all I need to do is slip it in there and snap it shut, and I will disappear off the net. It costs me nothing to have that capability, other than looking for the option when I bought the wallet.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 11:38:33 pm by roamer_1 »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
WND 5/1/2022

'Have become de facto snitches, offering a steady stream of digital location data'

Police across America now can track citizens through their cell phones – without a warrant – despite the Fourth Amendment's ban on warrantless searches, according to a team of civil-rights lawyers at the Rutherford Institute.

That's the result of the U.S. Supreme Court deciding not to intervene in a lower court decision that authorized exactly that.

The institute had filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case Hammond v. U.S. that challenged the tracking of people through their cell phones as unconstitutional.

That tracking can tell police a person's location with great precision, "whether that person is at home, at the library, a political event, a doctor's office, etc.," the organization reported.

"Americans are being swept up into a massive digital data dragnet that does not distinguish between those who are innocent of wrongdoing, suspects, or criminals. Cell phones have become de facto snitches, offering up a steady stream of digital location data on users’ movements and travels," said constitutional attorney John W. Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute.

More: https://www.wnd.com/2022/05/americans-warned-police-now-authorized-track-cell-phone/

As a 76 year old, I couldn't care less!

I even keep my Google Location 'on', so that I get a monthly message with pic of where I went.  Use it for my gas and mileage verifications.

If I'm ever going to attend a Black September type even, I'll be sure and take the battery and sim out before I leave home.  /S   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

Re: Americans warned: Police now authorized to track you via cell phone
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 01:13:19 pm »
NO PRIVACY! Google Claims ‘Right’ to Give Police Your Data Without a Warrant
Autumn Johnson
July 28th, 2022 3:53 PM
Google says it will give user information to law enforcement with no warrant in cases of an “emergency.”

CNET reported this week that Google would give police access to a user’s Nest video footage without a warrant in “emergency” situations. The company’s Terms of Service (TOS) paint a concerning picture of the way it values user privacy.

"If we reasonably believe that we can prevent someone from dying or from suffering serious physical harm, we may provide information to a government agency -- for example, in the case of bomb threats, school shootings, kidnappings, suicide prevention and missing persons cases," Google's TOS page reads. "We still consider these requests in light of applicable laws and our policies."

The policy says it would notify a user if it receives a warrantless request from law enforcement for their data unless an “emergency” exists. ...
More at Newsbusters

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 05:25:46 pm »
Faraday bag?
That's the first thing I thought of. As long as you don't take it out of the bag your safe, so if you don't want anyone to know where you are going/been leave it in the bag or leave it at home.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 08:54:00 pm »

You mean, like tracking ballot box stuffers on an election night?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 09:47:35 pm »
So police are finally authorized to do what the federal government has been doing since 2009?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 10:07:01 pm »
So police are finally authorized to do what the federal government has been doing since 2009?

They have ALL been tracking for a long time. They have ALL had access to phone tracking history for a long time too.