Author Topic: Yanking Privileges For Disney Isn’t ‘Revenge’ Or An Attack On Free Speech, It’s The Least Florida Ca  (Read 129 times)

Online Kamaji

Yanking Privileges For Disney Isn’t ‘Revenge’ Or An Attack On Free Speech, It’s The Least Florida Can Do

Taking away public subsidies from a company that openly fights on behalf of child mutilation is a very low bar, and only moral barbarians would oppose it.

BY: JOY PULLMANN
APRIL 27, 2022

After Disney’s attempt to pressure Florida’s legislature into stopping an anti-pedophilia law resulted in the legislature re-examining Disney’s legal privileges, some pundits on the right complained. Charles Cooke and Jason Lee Steorts of National Review argued Florida’s energy in protecting children from state-sponsored grooming constituted “misguided” “retribution.”

Steorts even called it a “soft-authoritarian temper-tantrum.” “This was a use of state power to punish private speech,” Steorts claimed.

Erstwhile Donald Trump lawyer (and sometime Federalist author) Jenna Ellis joined the critics on social media into this week, also taking the free-speech absolutist angle. Of course, so did David French. Daily Wire Co-CEO Jeremy Boreing voiced some hesitancy as well.

These commentators argued that while it’s fine to reconsider Disney’s crony capitalist carveouts, it is not fine to do so right after Disney attempted to apply maximum political pressure against the authorities who control those carveouts. That, they claimed, would be “retaliation” against Disney’s “right to free speech.”

In other words, Disney can play hardball, but that game must remain one-sided. Because procedures and norms must always only be applied in one direction: left.

This is a gross misunderstanding of not only what’s at stake in this episode, which is really about a reorientation of the right’s political power to serve the right’s voters and values. It is also a gross misunderstanding of the Founders’ view of free speech, of the purposes of political power, and of the use of the virtue of prudence in political affairs.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/04/27/yanking-privileges-for-disney-isnt-revenge-or-an-attack-on-free-speech-its-the-least-florida-can-do/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Disney believes it to be invulnerable to Florida.

The state remains the ultimate authority on what occurs within the state.

Now I want DeSantis to go a step further and nullify federal laws that overstep.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Disney needs Florida more than the opposite... what are they gonna do, pick up and move? Not so easy with WDW.

Offline berdie

Disney needs Florida more than the opposite... what are they gonna do, pick up and move? Not so easy with WDW.

My thoughts exactly. It's not like they can call Two Chucks and a Truck and tell them to come get all this stuff.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Disney World ... Bahamas ... Belieze ... Puerto Rico ... Domincan Republic ... Jamaica ... Haiti?

State tax breaks have the states' residents subsidize coroporate profits.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.