Author Topic: America’s crime panic: why we can’t afford to repeat mistakes of the 90s  (Read 244 times)

rebewranger

America’s crime panic: why we can’t afford to repeat mistakes of the 90s
Opinion by Abené Clayton in Los Angeles - Wednesday

In the past two years, warnings of a pandemic-induced crime wave have become a staple of America’s evening news. A historic rise in homicide rates and reports of frequent retail thefts and “smash and grab robberies” have refreshed paranoia about a wave of violence and property crime. These fears have driven recall efforts against progressive prosecutors and calls from officials and residents alike to strengthen police forces.

But this isn’t the first or even the second time the US has faced a moment of hysteria related to crime, reflexively calling for harsher punishments for perpetrators and more police officers on city streets.

The most recent public safety debate has drawn comparisons to the late 1980s and 90s, when murders and the crack-cocaine epidemic were met with more arrests and longer sentences, especially for juveniles. While there are similarities, people today have the benefit of hindsight to see how previous policies have affected the same communities where violence remains concentrated, argues James Forman Jr, the director of Yale University’s Center for Law and Racial Justice and the author of Locking Up Our Own, a book about the response of Black officials, prosecutors and judges in Washington DC at the time.

“Of course, things have always been contested, but today there is more ammunition at people’s disposal to contest new policies,” Forman said. “We can look at the 80s and 90s and say, ‘Wait a minute. Let’s not do that again.’”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/america-s-crime-panic-why-we-can-t-afford-to-repeat-mistakes-of-the-90s/ar-AAWpwb7?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3c3425c0ee9a453faa811205d3d83e42

Offline Kamaji

If "we" don't want to go through that again, then "we" had better start changing African-American culture, because that is where the principal fault lies, both then and now.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"...then "we" had better start changing African-American culture, because that is where the principal fault lies, both then and now."

Whites are not going to change black culture.
It will continue to devolve ... downward... at an increasing rate of speed.

Anything that whites do regarding "the racial situation" in America must be based upon this assumption.

Actually, there are things whites could do to address such issues, but such solutions would be more draconian than any member of this forum could support.

NOTHING that whites do to address the devolution of blacks will be seen as anything other than "racis" by blacks, and opposed violently.

Online LMAO

"...then "we" had better start changing African-American culture, because that is where the principal fault lies, both then and now."

Whites are not going to change black culture.
It will continue to devolve ... downward... at an increasing rate of speed.

Anything that whites do regarding "the racial situation" in America must be based upon this assumption.

Actually, there are things whites could do to address such issues, but such solutions would be more draconian than any member of this forum could support.

NOTHING that whites do to address the devolution of blacks will be seen as anything other than "racis" by blacks, and opposed violently.

I don’t see inner-city black culture ever changing for the better, either. Some may disagree, but I think that’s a voting bloc that the GOP should just write off and let the Democrats have.

I hope time proves me wrong. But I’m not optimistic
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don’t see inner-city black culture ever changing for the better, either. Some may disagree, but I think that’s a voting bloc that the GOP should just write off and let the Democrats have.

I hope time proves me wrong. But I’m not optimistic
Only those individuals who choose to not buy into the whole plantation model spurred by the Great Society of LBJ will have a chance to escape the surly bounds of the 'hood, and the lifestyle.

A few will, but I have little hope for the rest. It's a strong bubble, reinforced by pop culture and media,
and further reinforced by crappy education and blaming everyone else.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 01:32:27 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online LMAO

A few will, but I have little hope for the rest. It's a strong bubble, reinforced by pop culture and media,
and further reinforced by crappy education and blaming everyone else.

And even further reinforced by a particular political party
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline goatprairie

And even further reinforced by a particular political party
One of things I've noticed about black Dem politicians and leaders (virtually all blacks in the news) in over the more than half a century since I've been paying attention to problems with black Americans is that they never demand anything from their constituents. Evil Whitey is always responsible for 100% of their problems.
No matter how many trillions of dollars are spent or gov. programs established for solutions to black problems it's never enough.
Would black America be better off without all the black poltroons masquerading as leaders through the decades? It couldn't be worse.

Offline roamer_1

If "we" don't want to go through that again, then "we" had better start changing African-American culture, because that is where the principal fault lies, both then and now.

There are widening cracks.
But it must be blacks that change black culture.

One of the things that has given me hope has been in listening to black folks reacting to country music on youtube. And that has lead to listening to black folks reacting to Thomas Sowell and Larry Elder.

Watch what this chick does. She's dang near crying over a love song... Something she never heard from rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVuWzcc7Ubw

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 12:28:52 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Kamaji

There are widening cracks.
But it must be blacks that change black culture.

One of the things that has given me hope has been in listening to black folks reacting to country music on youtube. And that has lead to listening to black folks reacting to Thomas Sowell and Larry Elder.

Watch what this chick does. She's dang near crying over a love song... Something she never heard from rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVuWzcc7Ubw

:thumbsup: