Author Topic: Yale Psychiatrist Calls Verbal Assault 'Just as Detrimental as Physical Violence'  (Read 120 times)

Offline Kamaji

Yale Psychiatrist Calls Verbal Assault 'Just as Detrimental as Physical Violence'

By Alex Parker
Apr 17, 2022

Hopefully, your life hasn’t been filled with violence. That would be, words aimed against you.

According to a Yale psychologist, those are one and the same.

MedPage Today published an article this month by Dr. Amanda Calhoun, who equates the damage of each:

If you claim to be sensitive to the potential effects of physical acts, you should also be sensitive to the potential effects of verbal acts. Sometimes, jokes are not entertaining to those targeted by them, and can be just as detrimental as physical violence.

Of course, viciously berating a child may well be more hurtful than a thump on the knuckle. But I’d assume that’s not what the doctor means. Presumably, she believes language and violence of the same degree are similarly destructive.

Yet, this is the world in which we live — one that has thoroughly thrown out the old adage about only sticks and stones breaking bones. These days, as we’re increasingly advised, mere mouth-sounds amount to violence.

Whatever the impetus for such an idea, it appears to serve as a guaranteed path to restriction of speech.

See:

Student Paper Will Promote Diversity by Preventing It as Free Speech Is Swapped for ‘Safety’

Booksellers Association CEO Apologizes for the ‘Violence’ of Accidentally Promoting a Conservative Book

University Schools Students on the Importance of Free Speech — and Reporting People Who Use It

At least the woke aren’t speciesists:

Legal Journal Publishes Plea for Hate Speech Laws Protecting Animals

Woke in the Water: Shark Advocates Call for an End to the Word ‘Attacks’ in Favor of ‘Interactions’

Still, it seems to me much of America has lost a sense of the high stakes. As I’ve previously posed:

Source:  https://redstate.com/alexparker/2022/04/17/yale-psychiatrist-calls-verbal-assault-just-as-detrimental-as-physical-violence-n551754

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

What happened to "Sticks and Stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me?"

This demasculates us
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 07:59:56 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

What happened to "Sticks and Stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me?"

This demasculates us
We're all victims in need of a government program, apparently.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
NOTICE: Please disregard if you are ANTIFA or BLM.

These rules do not apply to you.
The Republic is lost.

Offline The_Reader_David

When I was in grad school we had gags  about fictitious gangsters, Rocco and Knuckles, who would intervene in intellectual disputes, one of which was:

Rocco:  So, Mr. Nietzsche, I understand you are of the view that whatever does not kill you makes you stronger.  My colleague Knuckles believes he has a most eloquent counter-argument, which he proposes to demonstrate by applying a ball-peen hammer to your knee caps.

I think the same counter-argument vitiates this psychiatrist's position.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.