Author Topic: Elon Musk Launches $43 Billion Hostile Takeover of Twitter  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Elon Musk Launches $43 Billion Hostile Takeover of Twitter
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2022, 03:38:47 pm »
For your consideration:Spiked-Online

The article is disingenous.  Being able to say what one likes in the public square - which is really what social media platforms like twitter have become - is utterly different from being able to make disloyal statements about your employer on company time.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2022, 05:18:42 pm »
Twitter HQ meltdown: Internet pokes fun at employees over Musk takeover

By Ariel Zilber
April 14, 2022

Twitter employees who were reportedly apoplectic about the prospect of Elon Musk taking over the company got targeted with scathing memes as users poked fun at their plight.

Memes depicting panic, dread, doom, and gloom were posted online as “Twitter HQ” was trending all morning following the SEC filing indicating Musk’s $41 billion all-cash offer for the company.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/14/internet-pokes-fun-at-twitter-employees-over-elon-musk-takeover/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2022, 05:23:41 pm »
Donald Trump insists he won’t return to Twitter if Elon Musk buys it

By Ariel Zilber
April 14, 2022

Elon Musk’s potential takeover of Twitter has Donald Trump supporters once again salivating over the potential return of the former president — but Trump insists he has no interest in resuming tweeting.

Trump told Americano Media on Wednesday: “I probably wouldn’t have any interest [in returning to Twitter if Musk bought the company].”

“Twitter’s become very boring. They’ve gotten rid of a lot of good voices on Twitter, a lot of their conservative voices.”

Trump added: “It used to be a war on Twitter, but it was a very interesting war…Mentally, we had some pretty good fights. We would go after the progressives, who I call the un-progressives.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/14/trump-says-he-wont-return-to-twitter-if-elon-musk-buys-it/

Offline berdie

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2022, 06:52:20 pm »
Glenn Greenwald
@ggreenwald

The worst, most bloodthirsty and destructive neocons are telling you explicitly: their power to censor the internet, to exclude dissent and maintain information monopolies, is central.

How does everyone not understand why restoring free discourse to the internet is so vital???

10:03 AM · Apr 14, 2022   Twitter Web App

I don't know who in the heck Max Boot is...but he certainly has a convoluted idea of democracy.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2022, 07:06:50 pm »
Elon Musk says he’s ‘not sure’ he’ll be able to buy Twitter after $43 billion bid, teases a plan B
Published Thu, Apr 14 20221:45 PM EDTUpdated 23 Min Ago
thumbnail
Lauren Feiner
@lauren_feiner

Billionaire Tesla CEO Elon Musk acknowledged Thursday he is “not sure” he’ll actually be able to buy Twitter, hours after he made an offer to acquire the company.
    Asked by TED’s Chris Anderson if there was a “Plan B” if his current offer were rejected, Musk said, “there is.”

Billionaire Tesla CEO Elon Musk acknowledged Thursday at the TED2022 conference in Vancouver that he is “not sure” he’ll actually be able to buy Twitter. The comments came hours after a regulatory filing revealed that he offered to acquire the company for $54.20 per share, or about $43 billion.

Twitter confirmed it had received the bid but its board must still review the offer, which values shares much lower than the $70 they reached last summer. But Musk had said the offer would be his “best and final” one.

Asked by TED’s Chris Anderson if there was a “Plan B” if his current offer were rejected, Musk said, “there is.”

He declined to elaborate.

more
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/14/elon-musk-not-sure-hell-be-able-to-buy-twitter.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2022, 08:21:10 pm »
Saudi prince Alwaleed bin Talal rejects Elon Musk's Twitter takeover bid - tweet

Thu, April 14, 2022, 11:10 AM

CAIRO, April 14 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabian investor Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said on Thursday that as one of the major shareholders in Twitter he rejected a takeover bid by billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk.

"I don't believe that the proposed offer by Elon Musk ($54.20 per share) comes close to the intrinsic value of Twitter given its growth prospects," the prince said in a Twitter post.

Musk took aim at Twitter Inc with a $43 billion cash takeover offer on Thursday, with the Tesla CEO saying the social media giant needs to be taken private to grow and become a platform for free speech. (Reporting by Omar Fahmy and Saeed Azhar Editing by Mark Heinrich)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/saudi-prince-alwaleed-bin-talal-161050492.html
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2022, 08:21:27 pm »
ELON MUSK: “Twitter has become kind of the de facto town square, so it's really important that people have both the reality and the perception that they're able to speak freely”  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1514667248123887617

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2022, 08:26:59 pm »
“My strong intuitive sense is that having a public platform that is maximally trusted & broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilization.”   “I don’t care about the economics at all.”   (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1514659066320068653

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2022, 08:30:50 pm »
“A good sign as to whether there is free speech: is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case, then we have free speech."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1514664034016002049

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2022, 08:50:01 pm »
“A good sign as to whether there is free speech: is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case, then we have free speech."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1514664034016002049

Musk has the greatest innovative mind of our lifetime.  I understand his patriotic intent to insure free speech worldwide, but I hate seeing him getting pulled in the mud with with Twitter slime who will have an undeniable intent of distracting him from his core businesses.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2022, 09:55:28 pm »
What Mr. Musk does with his money is his own business, and I kinda like the guy, but...

How in heck is a "corporation" like twitter, which:
- produces no tangible product
- collects no revenue from those who subscribe to it
- contributes nothing of lasting value to the general public
- probably owns little more than computers/servers/routers and a few office buildings...

... how can it be "worth" $43 billion?

$43 million, maybe.
But "billions"? This ain't right.
What has happened to the concept called "value"?

I really am the troglodyte you see in the avatar to the left...!

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2022, 10:01:25 pm »
Musk has the greatest innovative mind of our lifetime.  I understand his patriotic intent to insure free speech worldwide, but I hate seeing him getting pulled in the mud with with Twitter slime who will have an undeniable intent of distracting him from his core businesses.

I suspect he's lovin' the challenge.   :laugh:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2022, 10:14:07 pm »
Was in Austin, Musk's new home over the weekend.

My local relatives there seem to really like him, neither a conservative nor a liberal - just a common sense fellow who is Spock-smart and willing to engage.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2022, 10:27:51 pm »
Glenn Greenwald
@ggreenwald

The censorship power of Big Tech monopolies isn't wielded as much by executives as it is by Western governments. FB, Google/YT and Twitter are crucial instruments to control the flow of information available to their populations. If Musk is serious, it will provoke a battle:

Cameron Winklevoss
@cameron· 4h

Twitter is considering a poison pill to thwart @elonmusk's offer. They would rather self-immolate than give up their censorship programs. This shows you how deeply committed they are to Orwellian control of the narratives and global discourse. Scary.

2:55 PM · Apr 14, 2022·Twitter Web App

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2022, 10:31:49 pm »
What Mr. Musk does with his money is his own business, and I kinda like the guy, but...

- probably owns little more than computers/servers/routers and a few office buildings...

$43 million, maybe.

You make a good point, I see it as a turd of an investment.  I wouldn't sink a dime in it.

But OTOH, it is maybe the most portable and used form of communication on earth right now.  Information= Power.  And right now that power is being abused in a cesspool of intended censorship.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2022, 10:53:14 pm »
Saudi prince Alwaleed bin Talal rejects Elon Musk's Twitter takeover bid - tweet

Thu, April 14, 2022, 11:10 AM

CAIRO, April 14 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabian investor Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said on Thursday that as one of the major shareholders in Twitter he rejected a takeover bid by billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2022, 11:19:14 pm »
The left is having hissy fits. How dare he?!? Elon Musk is as bad as the orange man!!!
Case in point, this guy:

A Newsmax reporter observes:

Max Boot 🇺🇦
@MaxBoot
I am frightened by the impact on society and politics if Elon Musk acquires Twitter. He seems to believe that on social media anything goes. For democracy to survive, we need more content moderation, not less.
7:44 AM · Apr 14, 2022

@mountaineer

WTF????

What schools did THIS numbnuts fail out of?

He is CLEARLY confusing a police state with a democracy,and THIS guy in an allegedly educated college graduate and reporter.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2022, 11:22:45 pm »
Elon Musk Offers to Buy 100 Percent of Twitter, Restore Free Speech

Allum Bokhari 14 Apr 2022

@mystery-ak

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong,but since Twitter is NOT a privately-owned company and Twitter stocks are for sale daily on the stock exchange,doesn't this mean that Twitter MUST be sold to him if no one tops his bid?

BTW,if anyone knows,what is the timeline on topping his bid? There MUST be a set time limit.

BTW-2. What is keeping Musk from just buying up every share of twitter available,and taking over that way?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2022, 11:23:50 pm »
@Gefn

Elon Musk
265.1 billion USD

Jeff Bezos
176.6B USD

Bernard Arnault
167.9B USD

Bill Gates
131.9B USD

Warren Buffett
126.2B USD

Mark Zuckerberg
79.4B USD

MacKenzie Scott  (Bezo's ex-wife)
46B USD

Sneakypete
Several USD

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2022, 11:30:08 pm »

$43 million, maybe.

@Fishrrman

As is true of everything,anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2022, 11:43:20 pm »
@mystery-ak

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong,but since Twitter is NOT a privately-owned company and Twitter stocks are for sale daily on the stock exchange,doesn't this mean that Twitter MUST be sold to him if no one tops his bid?

BTW,if anyone knows,what is the timeline on topping his bid? There MUST be a set time limit.

BTW-2. What is keeping Musk from just buying up every share of twitter available,and taking over that way?

No.  It doesn’t work that way because nobody is being forced right now to sell to him.  There are ways to get around that, but they haven’t been deployed for now. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2022, 01:02:01 am »
No.  It doesn’t work that way because nobody is being forced right now to sell to him.  There are ways to get around that, but they haven’t been deployed for now.

@Kamaji

But he CAN do that if he wants,right?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2022, 01:03:39 am »
Elon Musk takes jab at Saudi Arabia over free speech after prince rejects Twitter bid

New York Post by  Ariel Zilber and Theo Wayt 4/14/2022

https://nypost.com/2022/04/14/saudi-prince-alwaleed-bin-talal-rejects-elon-musks-twitter-takeover-bid/

Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud, a billionaire who is also one of Twitter’s largest shareholders, tweeted that he will vote to reject Elon Musk’s $41 billion all-cash bid for the company — leading Musk to question Saudi Arabia’s commitment to free speech.

“I don’t believe that the proposed offer by @elonmusk ($54.20) comes close to the intrinsic value of @Twitter given its growth prospects,” the prince tweeted on Thursday.

“Being one of the largest & long-term shareholders of Twitter, @Kingdom_KHC & I reject this offer.”

Hours later, Musk responded with what seemed to be a jab at Saudi Arabia’s free speech and human rights record.

“Interesting. Just two questions, if I may,” Musk replied to the prince. “How much of Twitter does the Kingdom own, directly & indirectly? What are the Kingdom’s views on journalistic freedom of speech?”

Saudi Arabia frequently surveils and arrests journalists, according to Reporters Without Borders, which ranks the country as one of the worst in the world for press freedom. And the brutal murder of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi was personally approved by Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Muhammad bin Salman, according to US intelligence.

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud chairs the Kingdom Holding Company, the Riyadh-based conglomerate that first purchased shares of Twitter in 2011 before the company’s 2013 initial public offering.

More at link.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2022, 01:42:09 pm »

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO