Author Topic: The American Trucker Convoy Is a Really Bad Idea  (Read 172 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The American Trucker Convoy Is a Really Bad Idea
« on: February 28, 2022, 02:06:10 pm »
The American Trucker Convoy Is a Really Bad Idea
By Bonchie | Feb 27, 2022 5:00 PM ET

Sometimes an opinion pops into my head that I know probably isn’t going to go over very well with some of the readers here at RedState, but hey, what kind of writer would I be if I was that easily swayed? So, if you disagree with what I’m about to say, live and let die on this one, and our minds will meet back up on the next one.

And on that note, the American trucker convoy headed toward Washington, D.C., to disrupt Joe Biden’s State of the Union address is a really bad idea.

I know, I know, but hear me out.

No doubt, I was a strong supporter of the Freedom Convoy in Canada. I felt their cause was just and that the crackdown by PM Justin Trudeau was truly authoritarian and disturbing.

The thing about that protest movement, though, was that it had a clear goal: To get rid of the federal vaccine mandate affecting truckers. While the ideological boundaries were stretched at times, it was never a question that the Freedom Convoy was fighting for something tangible and just.

On that note, what is this American trucker convoy protesting? There is no federal vaccine mandate for truckers (or private employees in general) in the United States. COVID-19 mandates at the state level have also been nearly universally lifted. Further, the fact that the U.S. is a republic has always presented a far different dynamic compared to Canada’s top-down, federal control of the populace. In short, you cannot have a successful political movement if it isn’t focused, and if the point is just to bait law enforcement in hopes of getting attention on CNN, that doesn’t seem like a very good reason for its existence.

more
https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/02/27/the-american-trucker-convoy-is-a-really-bad-idea-n529100
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: The American Trucker Convoy Is a Really Bad Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 02:58:39 pm »
Sometimes an opinion pops into my head that I know probably isn’t going to go over very well with some of the readers here

In the famous words of Ron White; "The next time you have a thought, just let it go."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 01:18:05 am »
I posted some days back that an American "truckers' convoy" would at best come across as an also-ran.

I just don't see its central message (or more correctly, the LACK OF one) as grabbin' enough folks by the short and curlies to accomplish any real goals.

Now if the feds start attacking them, that could change things, quickly...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 03:15:23 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 01:25:29 am »
The thing about that protest movement, though, was that it had a clear goal:

No, the thing about the Canadian Trucker was it was 24 hrs/7 day a week coverage in the media so it united the country until the dictator went full hitler..

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 08:23:13 am »
At this point, the oxygen has been sucked out of the room by the events in the Ukraine.
Most of the mandates are off--the government is backing down, at least for now.
Go there, do a lap around the Beltway, be seen, and leave.

It would not take much for the usual suspects to create a problem, invoke the Patriot act, and make a real mess of this.

And they'd love to.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis