Author Topic: Ad of Olympian Maame Biney pushes pernicious idea of black victimhood  (Read 61 times)

Offline Kamaji

Ad of Olympian Maame Biney pushes pernicious idea of black victimhood

By Naomi Schaefer Riley   
February 12, 2022

How hard is it to be a black person in America? Apparently it’s like having a leg amputated or getting cancer. That’s at least the implication of a new commercial from Visa playing during the Olympics.

The commercial, which features three Olympic athletes, begins with a voiceover: “Everyone celebrates the finish line. But what about the starting line?” We see a skier preparing for a race explaining how he had to go through 12 rounds of chemotherapy treatments. And a man in a locker room who explains, “I didn’t become a snowboarder until after I became an amputee.”

Between those two shots, is a clip of short track speed skater Maame Biney at the starting line. She looks at the camera and says: “I’m African American and I’m surrounded by people who aren’t.” What does it say about our culture that we think simply being black around people who are not is such a hardship that it deserves to be compared to having cancer or losing a limb?

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/02/12/ad-of-olympian-maame-biney-pushes-idea-of-black-victimhood/