Author Topic: Report: Kevin McCarthy Weighs Banning Lawmakers from Holding, Trading Stocks  (Read 183 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Kevin McCarthy Weighs Banning Lawmakers from Holding, Trading Stocks

Wendell Husebø 11 Jan 2022

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) may ban lawmakers from holding or trading stocks if he wins the speaker’s gavel in November, a report suggests.

McCarthy’s plan of banning members like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) from trading stocks is still under development and undefined as to how far-reaching the limitations would be, Punchbowl News reported.

“One idea would be to force lawmakers to hold only professionally managed mutual funds. Another proposal the GOP leadership is considering would bar lawmakers from holding stocks in companies or industries their committees oversee,” the news site reported. “Other members have advocated for mandatory blind trusts for lawmakers’ holdings.”

Lawmakers are currently permitted to trade and hold stocks with a limited degree of transparency under the STOCK Act. But with a significant majority of Americans skeptical of lawmakers trading stocks based on information not widely known outside Congress, a movement may be afoot to ban congressional members from cashing in.

The largest congressional offenders of stock trading are reportedly House Republicans, though Speaker Pelosi is one of the wealthiest members of Congress in connection with her husband, Paul, who engages in extremely profitable tech stock trading.

In July, the Pelosis earned $4.8 million dollars trading tech options. Yet Speaker Pelosi claims she does not own any stocks her husband trades.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/01/11/report-kevin-mccarthy-weighs-banning-lawmakers-from-holding-trading-stocks/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
A tad draconian.  I could live with establishing a congressional financial  institution that the members can singularly hold investments in.  AND that details of these accounts are fully transparent and disclosed to the public.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
McCarthy sez:  "Blahblahblah..."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

All investments should be held through a blind trust, and should include not only the member of Congress, but his/her spouse, and close family members unless the family member gets a specific exemption from Congress (or from an appointed review board) based on a demonstration that the family member's investments are unlikely to affect the Congress member's decisions, and the family member will not be privy to anything that would count as insider information.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
All investments should be held through a blind trust, and should include not only the member of Congress, but his/her spouse, and close family members unless the family member gets a specific exemption from Congress (or from an appointed review board) based on a demonstration that the family member's investments are unlikely to affect the Congress member's decisions, and the family member will not be privy to anything that would count as insider information.

That pretty much used ot be the standard.  I guess things have changed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

That pretty much used ot be the standard.  I guess things have changed.

As far as I know, it's not mandatory.  It should be strictly mandatory.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Sure he does.  They'll find a less obvious way to engage in insider trading.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Hoodat

I'm all for it.  At the very least, it will show us which legislators choose to resign rather than divest their insider trading schemes.  It also will force members of Congress to give up their fat pension plan and dump all their money into the Social Security Ponzi Scheme like the rest of us are forced to do (at the point of a gun).
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Killer Clouds

IF is the biggest word in the dictionary. Even when the GOP takes back the house hopefully they will be smart enough to listen to 5he people and tell RINO McCarthy to kick rocks.