Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 115484 times)

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #1025 on: May 03, 2023, 01:17:35 am »
Sadly we lost another Bachman Brother today of BTO.  Timothy Bachman- (1951-2023)

Props to accepting the role of rhthym guitar, and ceding the spotlights to his brothers.  He contributed a lot to their early sound.  Had forgotten he was only there for the 1st 2.  But of course, those first two were BTO's best.

My favorite BTO song, live from '73....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQDsmJ7_gBg

My favorite, as well. I don’t really like any other BTO songs. This one is just superior to anything else they did. It’s actually on my Top 5 list.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1026 on: May 03, 2023, 12:51:25 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Foghat- Nightshift (1976) ****

Today, I am going to offer homage to the first headlining band that I saw in concert back in 1976, Foghat. And what a great concert it was.  It was a 3 band bill, starting with Head East, secondly, Styx, and finally Foghat.  Yeah, what a night.  Maybe the best $6.00 I ever spent.

I am kind of surprised it took 94 of these reviews for me to  finally get to the great mainstays of the early to mid 1970's AOR circuit Foghat. Maybe because I was so torn between the two really good albums that marks their standing in rock history. I could have easily went with "Fool For the City".  It had their two latter more well known hits, the title track and of course "Slow Ride".  To me it is an equally excellent album with Nightshift, but Fool For the City got so much more airplay.  I can think of at least two movies that used "Slow Ride" in their soundtracks as kind of a barometer of the times.  Don't get me wrong, I love the LP, and wore the sucker out.  But with Nightshift, you get something  more adventerous, mysterious, and consistent with their roots.  These guyys were bad. ass blues rock and roll for their time, and with this album they don't disappoint.  There isn't a song on this album not to enjoy.  The real early stuff of Fogaht is fantastic too, and contains a more hard core bash 'em blues in that dueling style I like. They were consistent, and  the guys really didn't make a bad album, until after this one. 

Foghat's brain trust is Lonesome Dave Peverett.  He dominates the lyrical and songwriting chores with the band, and does a bang up job, showing us just who was the talent behind some of the early Savoy Brown.  This album was probably looked at somewhat risk, with a huge lineup change at bass, but in essence, though Foghat encompasses the bass lines nicely in their repitoire, the band's sound still really focuses on it's signature ax grinding.  Which leads me to that signature slide.....  You can't underestimate the talent of their slide guitarist "The Bottle". Rod Price. Of course, Lonesome Dave got the solos, accolades and the spot light but without Price's sound, Foghat would have just have been another rock band in the crowd.

Fun Fact:  With all of the hilarious Spinal Tap references around  drummer turnover, .......... Foghat's Drummer Roger Earl is the only constant, and is present on every one of Foghat's works 1972-2018. 

Side 1-
-----------

Driving Wheel-  Blasting out the gates in a heavy heavt bluezy fashion.  Very typical of your Fogat stuff of the era.  Fantastic. 3

Don't Run Me Down-  Da woman did me wrong contribution on the LP.  No blues album is complete without one.    Good one of course, and it morphs into a NOLA like boogey and back with ease and grace.  No bad tunes on this one. 4

Burnin' the Midnight Oil-  This one has that "Slow Ride" feel, and kind of borrows some of it's riff lines.  Nothing to really say bad about the song.  Maybe just a lesser one of an excellent album. 5

Side 2-
-------------

Night Shift-  Not too often the title track is one of the weakest on the LP, but this is the case. Very competent musically, but way too mainstream, and the ax solos feel forced and formulaic. 6

Hot Shot Love-   Like the title track, this seems like a Peverett songwriting lull.  Would be a nice tune for another band, but this is a weaker one of an excellent album.  7

Take Me to the River- Boom!!!....  Now this is bad ass.  By far the greatest cover of the Al Green R & B classic.  Peverett took the standard, and remade it into a classic.  At least classic in my corner of rock and roll. Remember my earlier comment about understated bass lines?  Not here friends.  Bass shreds that augment some fantastic and innovative guitar.  This one went under the radar, that is for sure, and is sadly forgotten.  1

I'll Be Standing By- Talk about a closing strong.  This is an absolutley beautiful bluesey ballad like tune that pulls from all aspects of Foghat's talented line up.  So well written, so well delievered.  This was a cool Power Ballad, way before they became fashionaable in rock and roll.  2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSS9eKv5Dqw
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:52:11 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1027 on: May 03, 2023, 01:15:08 pm »
@catfish1957

I really like your reviews from the 70s.

You remind me of some bands I’ve totally forgotten, or recall hearing on the radio but not knowing who did it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1028 on: May 03, 2023, 01:22:07 pm »
@catfish1957

I really like your reviews from the 70s.

You remind me of some bands I’ve totally forgotten, or recall hearing on the radio but not knowing who did it.

Thanks for the kind words.  Most fun of it all, is going back and hearing music that I haven't heard in 40-50 years.  It is interesting to notice  how you heard things then, and how they sound now from an elderly pespective.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1029 on: May 06, 2023, 04:24:14 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Alice Cooper- Killer- (1971) *** 1/2

Sometimes the randomness of You Tube peaks my re-interest into some of the music of my youth.  This gem popped up a few days ago, and I will have to admit that this was first deep listen I had of the LP for decades.  I think it was pretty ground breaking for a few reasons, one....   it proved AC was not just schtick.  Yeah, the shock rock, glam, and productions got them a lot of attention, but this particular album showed that this band (pre-drugged out) has some damned good musical chops, and songwriting prowess.  Secondly, this is the one that this one  unleashed the genius and power of prodcuer Bob Ezrin.  If you haven't heard of him, you might have of a few bands he produced including Peter Gabriel, Kiss, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Lou Reed, and even as diverse as Taylor Swift. 

By the time Killer was released, AC had pretty much become a media phenom mostly for scaring our parents thinking this was evil incarnate.  And who could blame them...  This guy sang to snakes on stage,  staged an guillotine executions, and was killing chickens, and slinging them into the audience .  It was all genius.  And many of us at the time realized the strategy.  Bands like Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple were my generation's signal to the previous ones that the hippy flower power era was over.  And this album perfecty incapsulated it with dark themes and crunching 4/4 rock and roll, that was played over and over and over in our youth.  I don't think many songs were sung about Dead Babies in the 1960's.

This one very much did prove that AC was not a one hit wonder.  All of his stuff from Love it to Death to Billion Dollar Babies are all classics, and excelelnt on their own merit.  It's only afterward that AC as Vincent Furnier put more into the stage show than the music.  Don't get me wrong, he made many great songs after 1973, but it is these four albums 1971-1973 (Love it To Death, Killer, Schools Out and Billion Dollar Babies) that among other events perfectly define and offically announce the death of the flower power era of rock.  This band's persona is also integral to future shockers like Kiss, NIN, Gwar,  Slipknot... and on and on.

Parsing the merits of "great" 4 is fun.  In each case you could argue that there is pure randomness in their madness.  But listening closely there are some underlying themeing that if listen closely can be discerned out.  But in each, you can count on some level of macrabe, humour, sickness, and allogorical social commentary.  And last, this 3rd discographic installment would not be comeplete, without a full double middle fingered salute to sham of a hall of fame that pollutes Cleveland.  Induction of this band did not take place until 2011. What a joke. Just think...  Rush didn't get there until 2013.  If there ever was a wish for where the one place on earth that a tornado would hit?.....   You get the point.

Fun Fact: John Lyndon of the Sex Pistols called this the greatest rock album ever made.  (Killer)

Side 1-
-------------

Under My Wheels-  What a rollicking rock and roll ride.  Complete with sax, this all out jam session.  Every band member contributes at a high level.  There was good reason this was one of the bigger hits on the LP.  AC often used this one or Hello Hooray to open shows.  A good choice indeed.  1

Be My Lover-  The actual biggest hit on the LP.  Singulary written by Bruce.  Very simple chordal hooked add, that really got the band a hell of a lot of radio play.  Fresh and humourous.....  Works to this day.  2

Halo of Flies- Audacious and complex compostion that was nothing like the band had done to this point.  I can see Ezrin having a huge hand in its creation.  Old western rolling rthym that would be also be re-evidenced later in LP.  An interesting ode to the "espinoge fad" that was being seen more and more in the James Bond time of day. 6

Desperado-  Fabulous foray into the life of a gunslnger in the form of a rock song.  Song niclely alternates from balladry and rock like a glove.  Alice's voice is tonally lowered more than maybe any other tune he had ever done.  Strings included, this was really the outlier stylistically , but what. a classic  if you are into this band- 4

Side 2-
---------------

You Drive Me Nervous-  In more of the tradional rocking Alice that you saw in earlier work.  A loved teen agnst has themes, and there was at least one installment of the theme on each album. 7

Yeah Yeah Yeah- More of a bluezy feeling tradional sounding rocker that was what music sounded like at the time.  As good as the song is, it just adds to the fact that the best music is on side 1.  Sans, some interesting Buxton/Bruce guitar/ AC harmonica interplay which makes the song interesting   8

Dead Babies-  Yeah, the shocking ballad that in the stage show littered the floor with bloody babies.  Disgusting, yeah?  Rocking?  Oh hell yeah.  But honestly, if you listen closely if could be made out to be a macrabe PSA for keeping poisons out of reach from children.  That's at least the way I read it.  5

Killer-  The signature song the band used in the Hanging part of their stage show.  From a stage production the song works fantastically, and augments well with the executioner's drop.  Fascinatiing how they morph the song from a spiralling despair into an execution.  Complete with drum roll, narrative, screaming, and finally the gallows drop. All with a haunting organ accompaniment and prayer. And even a a couple moments of the whirling of death.   Yes, AC was maybe the greatest rock showman of them all 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4htr2RJ_EA0
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 04:28:18 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1030 on: May 07, 2023, 02:51:10 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Tom Petty and Heartbreakers- Damn the Torpedos (1979) *** 1/2

There have been 3 rocker deaths in my life that felt like gut punches.  Lennon is 1980, Peart in 2020, and when we lost Tom Petty in 2015.  Tom Petty was that extreme rarity of a guy who had the longevity, and you knew what he gave you on an album, tape, or CD was going to be a solid effort.  Today's addition, though not his debut album, is the one that really put him on the map of what would (I hate using it too much) iconic status. 

When Petty hit the music world, it was right at the huge prepice and pinnacle of the time line, when disco died, punk was born, and the singer songwriting genre had gotten itself where it was really taking itself too seriously.  I remember back in the day some less knowledgeable critical musical punditry called Petty's work "Punk".  That moniker pissed him off royally, and he wasn't afraid to snap back at them. He hated that comparison, and for good reason.  Petty the only commonality with the genre was his timing.   Tom Petty IMO is the perfect blend of S/S standard rocker, who had an incredible gift of touching the psyche lyrically while rocking his ass off. If you had to characterized them it would probably have to be somewhat a blend of the Allman Rocking World and Bluesy tones with an very definite Byrds feel to it.  Wiki calls it Heartland Rock....   I guess that is pretty apt.

This particular album is special in that it is proabably what I call their last "rough edged" where it is more focused on balls to wall rock, than focusing on the art.  Don't get me wrong, that aspect of TP is outstanding, and I love how and singulary spectacularly albums like "Southern Accents" was delivered.   This is the Petty you would like and want to hear in a smoky bar room venue, versus the more polished, more pointed stuff that characterized his more commerical works.   No, he wasn't AOR driven, but he also knew some well placed decent hooking would satisfy the masses.

TP went through what I call 4 phases, with this ending his Bar Room era.   Second and mostly in the '80's was the MTV commerical phase, 3rdly in the '90's a return to a Byrdsy S/S time, and lastly ending with what call the retrospective. '00's.  But the point is like with all of the great bands, Petty. both with Heartbreakers and solo was always growing by telling their story in ways and means to make their fans happy.  And like I started......   Losing Tom Petty was a great loss in rock music. Even to this day

Damn the Torpedos with its grit, isn't totally perfect, and it does have a few weaker cuts.  Not that this any diss on him, but he and the band were churning out LP's like a factory.  When under those pressures, putting 8-10 great ones is almost impossible.  In an earlier review I sang the praises of Bob Ezrin as a legendary producer.  The one on this and other TP Jimmy Iovine is in the same category.  Petty learned a lot from him obviously, and took a lot technical and artisitic control as his career matured.   I also again have to give props to one of the greatest second fiddles in rock history too. ......   Mike Campbell.  Petty would have never reached his heights of success without him.

Fun Fact: Only LP with the Heartbreakers to break 3X Platinum. 3M U.S. Sales.

Side 1-
-------------

Refugee- Arguably Petty's signature song. It is hard to thnk about the dawn of the '80's without hearing or remembering this great tune.  You have to really credit Iovine for creating what seems to be a much smoother feeling vibe on this and subsequent vs. the 1st two albums, which had a much more garage band feel to them.  Campbells searing slide is awesome at times.   1

Here Comes My Girl-  A tad off-blues-ish narrative like number.  I knew folks, who love this one.  Me not so much. 8

Even the Losers-  Band does a nice hooked well chord progesses song that, that is incredibly catchy.  Their Byrds influences are highly evidenced on this among others.  It also has some of my favorite Campbell work on it too. -  2

Shadow of a Doubt (The Complex Kid)- This sounds very much like their repitoire from the mid 1970's.  With again those Byrd twinged chord augments.   5

Century City- Rollick on Tom....   Almost a rockibilly kinda tune that has some chops.  Yeah side 1 has been rocking fun Mike shreds again.  3

Side 2-
-------------

Don't Do Me Like That-  The second biggest hit on the album,  but personally it didn't do it for me.  Maybe overplayed?  Maybe his most overrated hit?  You decide.  6

You Tell Me- Some of that filler I described earlier.  No thanks. 9

What are you Doin' in My Life- Yeah, they rehashed some of the riff lines and meter from song "I Need to Know". Still one of the better fare of the album. 4

Louisiana Rain- Album ends weakly. 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrDLgt5rn7A

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 03:01:50 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1031 on: May 07, 2023, 04:03:20 am »
@catfish1957

Nice review of Tom Petty.

I miss him.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1032 on: May 07, 2023, 04:12:58 am »
@catfish1957

Nice review of Tom Petty.

I miss him.

@Gefn

Same here.  Enjoy what I believe is his last music video.  Unbelievably  beautiful, haunting and almost requiem feeling tribute to his mother and his life.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSvlJe1mwlw

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 04:17:37 am by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1033 on: May 09, 2023, 04:32:07 am »
Tonight's classic live performance.

Found this gem from about 10 years ago.  Like I discussed on the one NIN review, this is not necessarily in many people's wheelhouse.  It screams darkness, despair, and is a mental overload of what a few might call a caccophony.  But as a musican, I have to give this effort 5 star props in its delivery, accuracy to originals, overall musicanship, and in it's pure talent of composition.  Reznor is the Poe of modern rock era.

Of course the warnings......  Very much NSFW, or not even in the least for children, teens or individuals and those who are photosensitive.  This  is a like a dark musical rollercoaster in the dark, where  and when you might not know what danger is involved. 

Excellent sampling of NIN's best, though strangely Closer, and Perfect Drug is missing.  and light and design visuals?  They are up there in Pink Floyd territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBC3NXnN8y4

« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 06:26:31 am by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1034 on: May 12, 2023, 06:21:34 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Eric Burdon and the Animals- Winds of Change (1967) ** 1/2

Decided to bring one from the obscure depths of psychedelia. Not sure I ever remember hearing this as a 10 year old change in its entirety, outside the singles, but tonight's review takes among the most hard core of the genre.  At age 10, I am guessing that this hookless psychedlic LP would not have interested me.  I gave this one a listen about a week ago, and somehow lost the review before posting.  Which was disappointing.  After another listen this evening I decided it was worth sharing. 

The Animals and their frontman Eric Burdon, were in some ways a blue color UK  answer to the Beatles. They soon after reaching success almost became American fixtures.   Of course, they were no where even close in songwriting ability, but that didn't mean they make some fascinating stuff.  Almost on cue this band almost correlated their career from a Beatlemania theme straight to psychadelia.  No doubt, the Beatles were much more successful and effective in taking this genre to a much more melodic and pleasant way via Sargent Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour.  Still this one has some interesting moments. 

Yes, this was Burdon's foray into the groovy, far out, and ultra splashed colored drenched cultural  norm of the day.   For many it is not going to be listenable, but I found it significantly so strange and ecclectric that in some ways like a crashing car, you just can't help stopping and  listening.  From the bizarre to the strange, if you want an  extreme version of this genre, this is about as crazy as it gets.  I personally have never taken hallucogens but I can see those into that "trippin" lifestyle might like this  at a high level while listening.   It is very dated, but a wonderful example of the times.

The Animals did not sound like the Beatles, but their sound through their careers did take the approach but had that Stones type roughness.  They were big in their era, and this album gives a good look at that. A good bit of the album has more beatnick poetic tendencies.  Homage to roots is central to the a lot of the album, and that Beatnick persona of the very early '60's kind of infliltrates the feel of the album.

Fun Fact:  First album as Eric Burdon and the Animals.  Prior, they  only recorded as The Animals 

Side 1-
------------

Winds of Change-  Burdon starts the proceeding with a blasting beatnick like psychadelic narrative like homage to early greats, From early days  modern era of R&B and rock.  The whistling wnd blowing from speaker to speaker, and Burdon's readjustmet in vocal inflection is quite inoovative for the day.  The wooshing wind at the end, had to really have them trippin'.  2

Poem By the Sea- Very drug induced nonsensical song that I am guessing basically was chronicling a trip. Works well with album's theme.  5

Paint It Black- Cover of the Stones classic.  Nicely done, close enough to recognize, but the Animals gave it it a chaotic  psychadelic slant too.  6

The Black Plague-  Now for the utter strange and fascinating.  Not really a song, and in fact not even really a poem.  Just a very chilling and powerful vocal narraive of what 14th century Europe was like during the plague.  I know most will not like this but I loved it just on pure audacity, creativity, and historic value  The bells and chants almost fully immerse the listener into feeling they are there.  Almost lost within it is its pointed message at the end.    1

Yes I am Experienced- Ineresting part of the story of this response song is that almost came out simutaneously with Hendrix' classic.  Burdon delivers an almost a comical Dylan like response.  But of course, and with lots of psychadelic overtones.   Song over all seemed pointless, and really didn't deliver any message of substance that I guess it intended.  9

Side 2-
---------------

San Francisco Nights-  Maybe the only one that really got any airplay on the LP.  Starts with a Dragnet like ditty, but narrates into what becomes almost an anthem like ode from the band of hippiedom.    For those of us who remember that era of Haight Ashbury, songs like this define the time, and are etched and entrenched into the fiber of that era.  If you listened to the radio in the mid '60's you will obviously remember this one.  3

Man-Woman-  Wow, Bongos booming, this yelling beatnick tripe sucks. Unlistenable....  And I am not kidding- 11

Hotel Hell- The strangenss returns, like a a psychedlic trip with a funky start blending into a spanish horn and guitar ballad that almost harkens a spagegtti western like sound. 8

Good Times- The off key tones I think are intentional in trying to create a humanly feel kind that contains that early '60's chordal progression.  Song is much more like a lot of the earlier '60's stuff.  7

Anything- More balladry, and not strong stuff.  Strings sound so hokey in this setting that is so off kiliter from the cutting edge psychadellastuff. 10

It's All Meat- Strong finish with another homage like bookended song. From an instrumental perspective,  the best work on the album.  Too bad some of the filler didn't at least work some stylistic pieces like this one addtionally 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylqJu3NrFxQ

« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:42:11 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline berdie

« Reply #1035 on: May 12, 2023, 08:28:29 pm »
I have to agree with you about Burdon and the Animals. I liked a lot of the "hits" (We Gotta Get Out Of This Place, etc.) but was never into psychedelic music for the most part. Maybe because I've always been a wino and not really into drugs, lol. I had never heard this album and listened to a little of it. I'm sure it has artistic value but I'm not deep enough, even today, to appreciate it. At the time of it's release I would have been 14...definitely not able to appreciate it. That's not to say that I didn't praise it...to make myself sound older and more sophisticated. Burdon had a very interesting voice.

I also agree with your Tom Petty review. And as already been stated, I miss him.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1036 on: May 12, 2023, 08:31:54 pm »
I had no idea The Animals did a cover of “paint it black”

Interesting!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1037 on: May 12, 2023, 09:11:33 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Alice Cooper- Killer- (1971) *** 1/2

Sometimes the randomness of You Tube peaks my re-interest into some of the music of my youth.  This gem popped up a few days ago, and I will have to admit that this was first deep listen I had of the LP for decades.  I think it was pretty ground breaking for a few reasons, one....   it proved AC was not just schtick.  Yeah, the shock rock, glam, and productions got them a lot of attention, but this particular album showed that this band (pre-drugged out) has some damned good musical chops, and songwriting prowess.  Secondly, this is the one that this one  unleashed the genius and power of prodcuer Bob Ezrin.  If you haven't heard of him, you might have of a few bands he produced including Peter Gabriel, Kiss, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Lou Reed, and even as diverse as Taylor Swift. 

By the time Killer was released, AC had pretty much become a media phenom mostly for scaring our parents thinking this was evil incarnate.  And who could blame them...  This guy sang to snakes on stage,  staged an guillotine executions, and was killing chickens, and slinging them into the audience .  It was all genius.  And many of us at the time realized the strategy.  Bands like Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple were my generation's signal to the previous ones that the hippy flower power era was over.  And this album perfecty incapsulated it with dark themes and crunching 4/4 rock and roll, that was played over and over and over in our youth.  I don't think many songs were sung about Dead Babies in the 1960's.

This one very much did prove that AC was not a one hit wonder.  All of his stuff from Love it to Death to Billion Dollar Babies are all classics, and excelelnt on their own merit.  It's only afterward that AC as Vincent Furnier put more into the stage show than the music.  Don't get me wrong, he made many great songs after 1973, but it is these four albums 1971-1973 (Love it To Death, Killer, Schools Out and Billion Dollar Babies) that among other events perfectly define and offically announce the death of the flower power era of rock.  This band's persona is also integral to future shockers like Kiss, NIN, Gwar,  Slipknot... and on and on.

Parsing the merits of "great" 4 is fun.  In each case you could argue that there is pure randomness in their madness.  But listening closely there are some underlying themeing that if listen closely can be discerned out.  But in each, you can count on some level of macrabe, humour, sickness, and allogorical social commentary.  And last, this 3rd discographic installment would not be comeplete, without a full double middle fingered salute to sham of a hall of fame that pollutes Cleveland.  Induction of this band did not take place until 2011. What a joke. Just think...  Rush didn't get there until 2013.  If there ever was a wish for where the one place on earth that a tornado would hit?.....   You get the point.

Fun Fact: John Lyndon of the Sex Pistols called this the greatest rock album ever made.  (Killer)

Side 1-
-------------

Under My Wheels-  What a rollicking rock and roll ride.  Complete with sax, this all out jam session.  Every band member contributes at a high level.  There was good reason this was one of the bigger hits on the LP.  AC often used this one or Hello Hooray to open shows.  A good choice indeed.  1

Be My Lover-  The actual biggest hit on the LP.  Singulary written by Bruce.  Very simple chordal hooked add, that really got the band a hell of a lot of radio play.  Fresh and humourous.....  Works to this day.  2

Halo of Flies- Audacious and complex compostion that was nothing like the band had done to this point.  I can see Ezrin having a huge hand in its creation.  Old western rolling rthym that would be also be re-evidenced later in LP.  An interesting ode to the "espinoge fad" that was being seen more and more in the James Bond time of day. 6

Desperado-  Fabulous foray into the life of a gunslnger in the form of a rock song.  Song niclely alternates from balladry and rock like a glove.  Alice's voice is tonally lowered more than maybe any other tune he had ever done.  Strings included, this was really the outlier stylistically , but what. a classic  if you are into this band- 4

Side 2-
---------------

You Drive Me Nervous-  In more of the tradional rocking Alice that you saw in earlier work.  A loved teen agnst has themes, and there was at least one installment of the theme on each album. 7

Yeah Yeah Yeah- More of a bluezy feeling tradional sounding rocker that was what music sounded like at the time.  As good as the song is, it just adds to the fact that the best music is on side 1.  Sans, some interesting Buxton/Bruce guitar/ AC harmonica interplay which makes the song interesting   8

Dead Babies-  Yeah, the shocking ballad that in the stage show littered the floor with bloody babies.  Disgusting, yeah?  Rocking?  Oh hell yeah.  But honestly, if you listen closely if could be made out to be a macrabe PSA for keeping poisons out of reach from children.  That's at least the way I read it.  5

Killer-  The signature song the band used in the Hanging part of their stage show.  From a stage production the song works fantastically, and augments well with the executioner's drop.  Fascinatiing how they morph the song from a spiralling despair into an execution.  Complete with drum roll, narrative, screaming, and finally the gallows drop. All with a haunting organ accompaniment and prayer. And even a a couple moments of the whirling of death.   Yes, AC was maybe the greatest rock showman of them all 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4htr2RJ_EA0

I liked his music when I was younger and was in my 50's when we saw him perform at a local music hall.  No snakes but he did give a toned-down theatrical performance.  One of my favorite AC tunes is "Only Women Bleed" . "Eighteen" is another favorite of mine.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1038 on: May 12, 2023, 09:54:06 pm »
I think the only number of AC's that I really liked was You And Me Ain't No Movie Stars. I heard the song first and then discovered it was him.

I saw a documentary on him not long ago that earned him some creds with me. Without a doubt an interesting person.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1039 on: May 14, 2023, 09:17:34 pm »
I think the only number of AC's that I really liked was You And Me Ain't No Movie Stars. I heard the song first and then discovered it was him.

I saw a documentary on him not long ago that earned him some creds with me. Without a doubt an interesting person.

His recent rockumentary was one of the best I've seen of the type, with greate visuals, and insight of his life.  I was fascinated in his account of walkng into a party, and Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin were ALL there.  How wild would that be.  To be friends with Dali, Warhol, Vincent Price, and on and on.....   What an incredible life.  I was able to find it on YT....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJCrn3lUjTY

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1040 on: May 15, 2023, 04:38:54 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- The Traveling Wiburys - Volume 1 (1988) *** 1/2

You will not get any argument from me that the Traveling Wilbury creation in 1988, did have a level of gimmricky to its inception.  But like I mentioned much much earlier in this thread, there might not have ever been a more talented compilation of songwriting talent in 25 square feet in rock history.  For those who may not remember this band...   Lets see....   George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, and Jeff Lynne.  I absolutely loved the concept of a traveling band, of psuedonymned no names operating in that vein and simplicity and artistic equality. 

Obviously I don't need to mention the accolades of these guys.  Everyone one them are legends in their own acts, and are absolute masters of songwriting.  What makes the album too so enjoyable, is that there isn't one band member who dominates the act.  It is an incredibly diverse  and pure colllaboration of 5 guys who in mutual admiration, realized they had a chance to create something special in the singer songwriting arena.  Almost all the songs are remarkably written and delivered, which with these 5 shouldn't have been much of a shock.  When you listen to the tunes, you can almost get an idea who the songwriting lead was, though it definitely was a full collaboation of all.

I do know also enjoy the couple of videos of the 5 guys all huddling around the mic.  Magic.  And I doubt we will ever be able to see that level of magic  ever again.  And as we all know, 3 of these 5 are dead, and Dylan is in his 80's.

Fun Fact:  Last contributive release of Roy Orbison before his dealth late in 1988.  His work and help in Vol. 3 are credited posthumously.  2 was cleverley skipped.  With such great talent comes idiosyncraisity,

Side 1-
----------

Handle With Care-  Signature tune of the band, and such a epic video with all 5 singing and harmonizing.  Definitely a Harrison driven song, with signature slide, but was fantastic Orbison chorus work.  1

Dirty World-  Automobile innuendo never sounded so cool.  Though this is a obvioulsy Dylan tune, this has so much hooked vibe than most of his earlier famous work.  Harrison difinitey had a hand too. 5

Rattled- Jeff Lynne runs this almost rockabilly like romp, with Petty backing nicely.  Nothing like ELO ever did.  6

Last Night- Petty's main contribution to the collection-   Actually love the masterful harmony,  5 legends in total sync.

Not Alone Anymore-  Very very much a Roy Orbison song, that has a modern feel to his older stuff from the very early 1960's.  7

Side 2-
----------------

Congratulations-  Slow rolling ballad led by Dylan, that has that endearing off key trademarked sound that made him an icon.  9

Heading For the Light- Light pleasant one that harkens back to a lot of the early to mid '70's solo work.  Fantastic.  When a guy like this often considered the 3rd best song writer of a band, just drives home how great of writers the Beatles were. 3

Margarita- Electronic oddity on this one,  Strangely though this sounds more like Harrison songwriting, Dylan took the vocals on this one.   Very quirky though it doesn't see to fit as well on the themed basis.  One of the stronger efforts. 8

Tweeter and the Monkey Man- Dylan nonsensical number.  Not the best effort of the guys.  10

End of the Line-  Other video effort that beautfully incorporates each's members by adding a verse to this classic. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwvZMepkOOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4s1KVJaVA

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1041 on: May 15, 2023, 05:19:14 am »
@catfish1957

I had this Album and really enjoyed it.

End of the line was a great song.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1042 on: May 15, 2023, 12:39:05 pm »
@catfish1957

I had this Album and really enjoyed it.

End of the line was a great song.
@Gefn

At first I was really skeptical of this effort, from the gimmickry, commerical, and general intent.  And honestly, there isn't anyting here paricularly ground breaking musically.  But as time has passed, and the repuation of the participants are etched furhter, one can only just give full admiration to 5 guys who made history on each of their own merits, the come up with a clever concept of a band of rag tag brothers, who just wanna sing a few songs together for coins in the tin cup......  abd in their best folksy S/S manner.

In retrospect, it was historical, and in some ways though briefer, kind of like the "Outlaw effort" collaborative efforts we say in C&W in the 1970's.  No glitz, no glamor, just a few guys leaving their egos in the trunk and having a good time.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1043 on: May 15, 2023, 07:53:15 pm »
@Gefn

At first I was really skeptical of this effort, from the gimmickry, commerical, and general intent.  And honestly, there isn't anyting here paricularly ground breaking musically.  But as time has passed, and the repuation of the participants are etched furhter, one can only just give full admiration to 5 guys who made history on each of their own merits, the come up with a clever concept of a band of rag tag brothers, who just wanna sing a few songs together for coins in the tin cup......  abd in their best folksy S/S manner.

In retrospect, it was historical, and in some ways though briefer, kind of like the "Outlaw effort" collaborative efforts we say in C&W in the 1970's.  No glitz, no glamor, just a few guys leaving their egos in the trunk and having a good time.

It was always a little amazing to me that these icons could put ego aside and make music. But, even though I'm not a musician, the ones I know put making music above all. I figure there had to be a lot of security in themselves and admiration for the others involved. Like @Gefn I love End Of The Line. It makes me bob my head in time with the music, lol. Your analogy with the c/w outlaws is spot on.

As a kid, I had no use for Roy Orbison. But as an adult...boy did I have to walk that back!!!  He is the binding member of the Wilburys. His voice soaring above the others is pretty darn impressive.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1044 on: May 16, 2023, 06:35:14 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Emerson Lake and Palmer- Trilogy (1972) **** 1/2

In today's review of ELP's 4th album strangely called Trilogy, which I guess aligned with the number of band members instead of album enumeration.  Well maybe 3 if you consider Pictures at an Exhibiity a live album, but since it was all unreleased? Who knows.     This particular LP is  by prog standards is an absolute masterpiece, and heralded as groundbreaking and the band at its best.   By this time, I think Emerson as a composer had realized that the though they had put together a sound large, and dedicated following, something a little different  , though slightly less classical in style just might expand their fan base. 

ELP may have created the term pretentious in rock. Side one of Tarkus definitely set the bar on that trait.    As with most ELP works, there is nothing generally hook inducing, and Keith is a master composer and even a greater practioner on the keyboard. In fact if you look at lists giving accolades of who the greatest keyboard of rock in its entire history, you will find Mr. Keith Emerson generally at the top 90-95% of the time, and Rick Wakeman the other 5-10%.  But don't forget that this band is not entirly Emerson's showmanship.  I know a lot of detractors to ELP's work argue that the wizardry overwhelms the senses, and that most rock fans won't or can't releate.  Carl Palmer is easy at least in my book easy one of the greatest 3rd-6th drummers ever.  And Greg Lake's understated but solid fret work just give this band a body of work of near perfection.  I literally wore this and Brain Salad Surgery out during the 1970's.  This stuff was musican's music.  And again, I understand some don't get it, but in my little corner of love of music, it didn't rock, but it was wonderful for introspection of how a group of three. could formulate stuff on this level of complexity and greatness with such a great mix of power and finesse' . 

At least in my opinion Trilogy is one of two of the absolute great ELP albums.  Brain Salad Surgery is stronger in its compositional accumen, while Trilogy is more listenable.  Much more crisp, and really the one that propelled them into the supergroup category. No one ever came close to replicating their style, substance, and impact on their field of music. 

Fun Fact (s): (1) Trilogy was ELP's highest charting studio LP, hitting No. 5 in the U.S. (2)  Incredibly ELP did not have a platinum record. 0-9. 0-45 if you include live and compliation albums (3) This album (Trilogy) contains the only single that broke the U.S. Top 40 .  From the Beginning hit 39 that year.

Side 1-
----------

The Endless Enigma (Part 1)- Song has that dystopian like wastland field, kind of like a drama -sci fi vibe.  I am sure Emerson was partly use the song tone to give credence to that Enigma of the meaning of life's hypocricy.  Oc course plenty of Emerson wizardry (repeat for the rest of the album), and very powerful Lake vocal inflection. Easy to see why Emerson recruited their golden voice from K-Crimson. 4

Fugue- Very correctly named, as Emerson very masterfully conducts two counter melodic lines mid way through the tune.  I hope everyone realizes how difficult it is (was) to not only mentally picture this tough compostion, but being able to play?  Tough.  I also love the beautiful chimed section that sets the conversion from piano to synth.  Wow....  3

The Endless  Enigma (Part 2)- Pretty much the ending chorus of Part 1,  Lake hitting those high ones's is quite a feat.  . What a voice!!!!5

From the Beginning- I generally am not into ballads, but this one is special.  Again, their big hit, if big describes it. Lake and Emerson nail it in duo fashion.  Great vocals, spanish guitar, and a memorable synth solo closing this gem. 2

The Sheriff-  Kind of like Benny the Bouncer frm BSS, Emreson at least from POV, dropped a klunker. I always wondered why he did these kind of dittys, but he just did 'em just because he could- 9

Hoedown- Fantastic rendention of Copeland great work from Rodeo Suite, Emerson must really have like Copeland among the most of the modern composers, because he did a cover of of Dorvak's  New World Symphony too. I love that not only was Keith Emerson a master composer, he shared and got almost an entire generation into classical music too. 6

Side 2-
---------------

Trilogy- Easlly one of my favorite compositions by ELP-  Song starts so beautifully and melodially, with absolutle. masterful concert like piano work.  Greg Lakes's voice is perfect in accompaniment.  This song would be great just from that level alone, but something mind blowinghappens along the way.  Abut 3 minutes in all hell breaks lose, into a mass chaotic synth explosion.  This is the genius of ELP at its best. 1

Living Sin-  I do have to say that stylisitically this is among the strangest tunes ELP every made.  There are aspects that are almost traditonally rocking, but Kieth ups the strange meter, that ony works marginally for me.  I do find that Lake's sinister voicing in it kind of clever though.  8

Abbadon's Bolero- From the abyss of relevelation folded into a  into a sync'ed and syncopated off variation Ravel's  structured classical work. Very innovation with many angles of buildup and climax, just like Ravel's  7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4OxCw27R2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zbMbCskuI

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1045 on: May 17, 2023, 10:55:16 am »
First of all,WHY is there no general "Music Topic",and I have to invade Catfish's thread to post a music video?

Now,here is the song and musician I came online this morning to post. Anyone who hasn't listened to Mike Farris is missing out on a bit of Majic, and THIS is coming from someone who is NOT a devoted Christian fundie.

Music is music,and love is love,and NOWHERE is love better expressed than in music.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do,expecially the "audience participation" part at the very end.

BTW,THE "AUDIENCE MEMBER PARTICIPATION MOMENT" I mentioned has somehow been edited out of the recording. It is a loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt8wiGInALs

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 01:56:21 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1046 on: May 18, 2023, 12:38:34 am »
First of all,WHY is there no general "Music Topic",and I have to invade Catfish's thread to post a music video?

@sneakypete

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/board,96.0.html

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1047 on: May 25, 2023, 08:45:46 pm »
Don't know if it's considered Classic Rock but I gotta give some play to Ms. Turner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5OfsSqMiA
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1048 on: June 03, 2023, 04:03:54 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Led Zeppelin- Self Titled (1969) *****

I can proudly say now that I have now added 100 reviews, and figured I wanted a special one to mark the century mark.  And interestingly you might have noticed that  I have worked back in order from IV.  What makes this album so unique is not its quality.  Yes it's in the top 5, but honestly the guys had not worked out the formula just right until the tandem of III/IV.  What makes this album so incredibly special is its ground breaking status.  LZ took the Yardbirds fantastic blues sound  and slapped of an ultimate swath of sledgehammer hard rock.  It many ways they out Cremed Creme.  Where Creme had more controlled vocals, Plant added a wailing somewhat reminiscent of what Purple had just added to the Rock world.

Many have claimed that Zep really bastardized and stole the prior 20-40 years of U.S black rural blues, but I for one wholehearted disagree with this opinion.  Page though inspired took many of the covers and rehash into a unique feel that really was not anything coming from the Mississippi at any time.  Page's genius matching with a JPJ/Bonham epic bass/rhythm has rightfully vaulted them into GOAT status.  If you look at the 6 year and 6 album period 1969-1975 from I to Physical Graffiti, no band of the era matched the utter consistency and dominance of this band.   At least from my POV, Jimmy Page is why I wanted to pick up an electric guitar and hopelessly mangle his work. 

Stylistically, this one probably harkens the most to Page's Yardbirds Blues roots as subsequent ones. I very much am guessing that Page keenly observed that the sensation caused was being more around the hard rocking tunes than the blues like remakes.  Still, almost all of this album has considered to be classic cuts. Tunes from this album may not get the same volume of Classic Rock radio air play as those on II, or IV, but at least for me, this one has the charm and mysterious aura of being the "thing" that massively changed rock and roll, even to this day.

Fun Fact:  Supposedly this is the first album made that was sold only in Stereo.  All previous were at first all mono, then a mix.

Side 1-
-----------

Good Times Bad Times-  Epic start for this band right of the gate.  Every band member shines in unison.  Solo has such a different feel and texture than almost anything else made in the 1960's.  Yes.  The 1960's were about to end, an not only did they start with a boom, this is the band that knocked the Beatles off the pinnacle of world's most popular bands- 4

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You-  Don't let the pleasant acoustic start to this classic (wash, rinse, repeat) fool you,  all hell breaks out in typical LZ bombastic fashion.  This tune get much airplay to the day.-  5

You Shook Me- Page is a huge Wiillie Dixon fan, and pays homage to this great song in a fine way.  I honestly think this is the most pure blues song that Zeppelin ever did.  Many Zep fans have this higher up the totem poll due to their love of the blues.  I was more into their rocking side. 9

Dazed and Confused-  The hallmark song, and an absolute perfect rock song.  Page may not have been up there with Hendrix in prehistoric ax wizardry, but Page had to be up there close in the vicinity.  Never gets old.  1

Side 2-
-----------

Your Time is Gonna Come- This would be a classic for another band, but from the perspective of Zeppelin standards somewhat of a drop off.  7

Black Mountain Side-  Gaelic-ish acoustic that perfectly and in our minds into an abrupt fade into another of our LZ standard classics,  6

Communication Breakdown- Power chords hit you like a 2 x 4 behind the eyes.  Song also has one of my all time favorite Page solos.  This song made many coverts out their existing ax to a Les Paul, that is for sure.  2

I Can't Quit You Baby-  Epic blues LZ umber-  Harkening back to my earlier comment on my preference of rocking zeppelin vs. bluezy zeppelin, this listener prefers the heavy rocking   No knock on this one, it is big in their catalog.  Just my taste.  8

How Many More Times-  What a massively impactful conclusion.  Can not say enough of how many times this LP lingered in the ear waves of youth.  And in so many ways this is so amazing that an album so revered by fans in 1969, does not lose one iota of luster even almost 55 years later.  3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1rJohGD9LA
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 04:09:21 am by catfish1957 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1049 on: June 03, 2023, 01:40:22 pm »
Don't know if it's considered Classic Rock but I gotta give some play to Ms. Turner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5OfsSqMiA

@Free Vulcan

I think Tina is highlighted in the "As good as it gets" category.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!