Author Topic: Can a goldfish drive a car on land?  (Read 258 times)

Offline Kamaji

Can a goldfish drive a car on land?
« on: January 06, 2022, 02:44:27 pm »
Date: January 5, 2022

Source: Ben-Gurion University of the Negev

Summary:

Are animals' innate navigational abilities universal or are they restricted to their home environments? Researchers designed a set of wheels under a goldfish tank with a camera system to record and translate the fish's movements into forward and back and side to side directions to the wheels. By doing so, they discovered that a goldfish's navigational ability supersedes its watery environs.

Are animals' innate navigational abilities universal or are they restricted to their home environments? Taking the premise to the extreme, the researchers designed a set of wheels under a goldfish tank with a camera system to record and translate the fish's movements into forward and back and side to side directions to the wheels. By doing so, they discovered that a goldfish's navigational ability supersedes its watery environs.

The researchers tested whether the fish was really navigating by placing a clearly visible target on the wall opposite the tank. After a few days of training, the fish navigated to the target. Moreover, they were able to do so even if they were interrupted in the middle by hitting a wall and they were not fooled by false targets placed by the researchers.

The study led the researchers to two conclusions.

"The study hints that navigational ability is universal rather than specific to the environment. Second, it shows that goldfish have the cognitive ability to learn a complex task in an environment completely unlike the one they evolved in. As anyone who has tried to learn how to ride a bike or to drive a car knows, it is challenging at first," says Shachar Givon, a PhD student in the Life Sciences Department in the Faculty of Natural Sciences.

Source:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/01/220104112241.htm

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Can a goldfish drive a car on land?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 02:47:42 pm »
So, if I take my goldfish for a walk, and it runs away, all I have to worry about is explaining to the police where the car came from.

got it....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 02:53:29 pm »
So, if I take my goldfish for a walk, and it runs away, all I have to worry about is explaining to the police where the car came from.

got it....

:silly:

At least you'll get more imagination points than if you tried to explain that the dog ate your homework!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 02:55:06 pm »

At least you'll get more imagination points than if you tried to explain that the dog ate your homework!
But my dog actually DID eat my homework once.
The teacher had a predictable response to the claim, until i brought in the chewed up mess the next day.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 03:04:13 pm »
The teacher had a predictable response to the claim, until i brought in the chewed up mess the next day.

We have rabbits, and back when my daughter was in elementary school, one of the rabbits we had at the time lunched out on her homework.  We had to bring the tattered remnants in as proof.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 03:34:35 pm »

So...how did it taste?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 03:36:32 pm »
So...how did it taste?
You'd have to ask the dog. But he's been dead 50 years, so that might be difficult (dachshund puppy named Daffy).

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 03:37:37 pm »
You'd have to ask the dog. But he's been dead 50 years, so that might be difficult (dachshund puppy named Daffy).

Bet he's still voting democrat, though!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 03:41:26 pm »
Bet he's still voting democrat, though!
He's likely have to lift his leg to do so.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 03:43:40 pm »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 06:24:29 pm »

When your dog finds out you voted democrat

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 06:39:34 pm »
If Toonces can drive a car, why not Goldie?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 07:21:31 pm »
If Toonces can drive a car, why not Goldie?

Well, nobody said Toonces was a good driver... :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: