Author Topic: New York will restrict gas for cooking and heating, paving the way for more cities to follow  (Read 849 times)

Online libertybele

New York will restrict gas for cooking and heating, paving the way for more cities to follow

The Big Apple made a big move this week to phase out gas stoves and range tops that so many of the city’s renowned chefs and home cooks say they rely on to control the temperature of their dishes.

The move may just be part of a nationwide swap that more people will have to swallow.

The New York City Council passed a bill, which Mayor Bill de Blasio is expected to sign into law, that prohibits the combustion of fossil fuels, namely gas, for cooking and heating in select new buildings. The ban will apply to new structures under seven stories tall starting in 2024 and to larger buildings in 2027.

New York is not alone. Berkeley, Calif., became the first city in the U.S. to ban gas hookups in new construction in 2019, and now at least 42 cities in California, including San Francisco and San Jose, have acted to limit gas in new buildings. Salt Lake City and Denver have also made plans to move toward electrification. And notably, Ithaca, N.Y., recently took the step to convert all of its buildings, not just new construction, to heat pumps and electric ranges over gas.

But New York City’s measure is significant not only because of its population size, but also because of its colder climate. Gas proponents have argued that cutting this heating option in a place where winter temperatures average in the 30s and 40s and can plunge even lower, means that electric heaters and kitchen appliances might overwhelm the grid and lead to power outages.

New York’s city council and the mayor have required studies on the feasibility of using heat pump technology and on how the measure will impact the city’s electricity grid.

Utility Con Edison said in testimony to a November meeting of the city council that the grid “is well-poised to support the transition to heating electrification.” Peak grid strain in the city tends to come with air conditioning use in the summer, it said.

“With a gas-free NYC, we can deliver better public health outcomes and make real strides to cut climate-warming emissions. Next up, New York state and the nation must follow suit,” said environmental group Food & Water Watch Northeast region Director Alex Beauchamp.

The Biden administration has pushed for heat pump rebates for homeowners in its Build Back Better spending bill that remains snarled in Congress...............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-york-will-become-largest-u-s-city-to-restrict-gas-for-cooking-and-heating-paving-the-way-for-more-cities-to-join-11639679063?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
New Yorkers will only "have to swallow" the absence of Natural Gas because their "rulers" have decreed it thus, driven by the NYC Church of Planetary Salvation.

Back when they banned hydraulic fracturing in the State, the stage was being set for this lunacy, and it has only continued, with pipeline projects being stymied as well.

At least the third world being imported will feel right at home.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

More businesses and jobs completely wiped out.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Say WHAT????????
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Why this is just brilliant in a totally retarded kind of way. They force even more people to be dependent on expensive expensive electricity being made even more expensive by removing inexpensive generating sources and put even more strain on their electrical grids. Can you just imagine the grid failing and the city suffering a major black out and all those people who won't have gas stoves to cook on or boil water when the pumps are down? Yup absolutely brilliant how democrat cities think ahead.

Offline mountaineer

Freeze to death, peons.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Freeze to death, peons.
You spelled proletariat wrong.

Offline Smokin Joe

Buy a small camp stove and a can or a couple of cylinders of fuel.

Expect an increase in structural fires.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You spelled proletariat wrong.

Hey @GtHawk!  You just hit 10,000 posts!

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

It’s mostly virtue signaling at this point since it doesn’t affect existing buildings, there aren’t that many new buildings being built in NYC, and most new buildings are high-end luxury where most of the residents don’t cook anyways.

There will be pushback if they try to ban gas in existing structures.  Cooking with electric sucks compared to cooking with gas. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It’s mostly virtue signaling at this point since it doesn’t affect existing buildings, there aren’t that many new buildings being built in NYC, and most new buildings are high-end luxury where most of the residents don’t cook anyways.

There will be pushback if they try to ban gas in existing structures.  Cooking with electric sucks compared to cooking with gas.

@Kamaji

Can't wait to hear the response of the restaurants to having to switch from gas to electricity.

If they have ANY stones at all,the owners will refuse to cook for and serve anyone in politics.

Offline Smokin Joe

I don't know what the alleged benefit is of having New York pave the way to perdition, but maybe there are shovel ready jobs involved.

If stupid hurt, though, they'd be able to hear the screams in Minot.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

So, where will people get the extra money they'll need to pay for higher electricity rates during peaks?

Nothing in article about financial costs to consumers.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

Can't wait to hear the response of the restaurants to having to switch from gas to electricity.

If they have ANY stones at all,the owners will refuse to cook for and serve anyone in politics.

At this point they’re not required to switch.  It’s only for new large residential buildings.   

Online libertybele

It took me a little while to get used to cooking with electric instead of gas, but really no big deal.  I imagine however for a chef it would be a very big deal.

Offline Kamaji

It took me a little while to get used to cooking with electric instead of gas, but really no big deal.  I imagine however for a chef it would be a very big deal.

When I grew up we had electric, and we had electric in most of the houses and apartments I lived in up until I moved to NYC.  Since then, I've only used gas.  I much prefer cooking on gas - the temperature control is better and changes take place immediately; no waiting for the electric element to cool down to the reduced temperature you want.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The Enterprise visits planet Omicron-4

(sound of transporters, as Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy materialize on the planet's surface)...

Kirk: Mr. Spock, begin sensor readings immediately.

Spock (flips on tricorder): Captain, there is evidence that this planet, known as Omicron-4, once was inhabited by a large numbers of human creatures with a moderately-advanced civilization, at least for their time. But they seem to have almost entirely disappeared as a result of a sudden catastrophe.

Kirk: What kind of catastrophe, Mr. Spock? Advanced populations don't vanish without leaving something behind...

McCoy: Jim... picking up evidence of human-like creatures in those caves in the hills in the distance.

Kirk: Very well, doctor, we'll investigate.

(on the way to the caves)...
Kirk: Mr. Spock, what do you make of these large towers with the cabling between them?

Spock: Captain, sensors indicate that they may have been used for the purpose of electrical transmission. Although the method seems primitive by our standards, they were efficient enough in their own time. However, they seem to have been unused for years...

Kirk: Mr. Spock, your analysis, please.

Spock: Apparently, Captain, there was indeed once a thriving civilization on this planet. They had many natural resources providing multiple sources of carbon-based fuels with which to power their economies and technology.

But there appears to have arisen a faction of elites in control, who somehow acquired the delusions that their human activities were changing the climate of Omicron-4, and that the only way to prevent such change was to abandon natural carbon-based resources and implement unsound alternative methods of powering their economies, methods that were unreliable and inadequate.

As a result, sir, when the fossil fuels were driven from production, the Omincrons' economies, technologies -- and ultimately, their civilization -- collapsed with amazing speed. And by then, having lost their acumen required to restore functions based on their previous fossil fuels, recovery became impossible.

Hence, the backward inhabitants we see today.

Kirk (opening communicator): Scotty, beam us up. There's nothing we can do here.
(Sound of transporter as the landing party energizes and disappears)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
At this point they’re not required to switch.  It’s only for new large residential buildings.

@Kamaji

Ahhh,the old Chinese water torture,where they get you a slow drip at a time.

The people who take the "it doesn't affect ME right now,so I am going to ignore it." are fools. They may be the last ones standing,but eventually the left will get around to them,too.

The time to fight this nonsense is BEFORE it becomes established law.

Online libertybele

@Kamaji

Ahhh,the old Chinese water torture,where they get you a slow drip at a time.

The people who take the "it doesn't affect ME right now,so I am going to ignore it." are fools. They may be the last ones standing,but eventually the left will get around to them,too.

The time to fight this nonsense is BEFORE it becomes established law.

@sneakypete the time to fight all this b.s., was long before Trump was even voted in. 'W' started with a bit of overreach and Bammy extended his overreach many times, yet 535 members of Congress did nothing and "We the People" never held them accountable!!  Many members of the GOPe went against Trump and here we sit. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What generates the electricity?   :pondering:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I think I mentioned when I moved a couple years back, I got an electric stove . I was use to cooking with gas, and I’m not a fan.

The top four burners- no difference, but the oven part- big difference. I don’t like. Not at all. It’s taken the joy out of baking.

Just my two cents, but if I had my own place, like a house - I’d go with gas again.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It'll become just like in Europe, where in the winter, as the price of electricity has gone so high, people can't afford to heat their homes.