Author Topic: Family finds ‘king of all poisonous snakes’ in their Christmas tree  (Read 343 times)

Offline libertybele

Family finds ‘king of all poisonous snakes’ in their Christmas tree

Snakes alive! A South African family found an unexpected guest wrapped around their Christmas tree: a boomslang snake, one of the most venomous serpents in Africa.

“I didn’t know what it was at the time, but then I Googled what snakes are in our area, and it came up immediately as a boomslang,” rattled dad Rob Wild told CNN. “I thought, ‘Holy Moses, this is the king of all poisonous snakes.’ ”

Wild, 55, a British stock trader, said that he and his wife, Marcela, had noticed their cats staring into the tree. The couple assumed there was a mouse hiding in the branches somewhere.

It wasn’t a mouse they found peering out from the boughs, however, but a boomslang.

Boomslangs are known to conceal themselves in bushes or trees, where they hunt chameleons and birds, according to Encyclopædia Britannica. They’re native to sub-Saharan Africa. And while the snakes are often described as fairly shy and nonaggressive — and bites are not common, since they are “rear-fanged,” meaning they have to open their mouths extremely wide to inject venom into prey — their bites are still extremely dangerous to humans. That’s because their potent venom is a hemotoxin that destroys red blood cells and disrupts blood clotting, which can lead to internal bleeding. So boomslang venom can be fatal to humans, even in small amounts.

The parents kept their two children away from the tree and called in a professional snake catcher, who was able to safely whisk away the holiday party crasher. The snake was female, and between 4.3 and 4.9 feet long. The snake whisperer, Gerrie Heyns, theorized to CNN that the boomslang probably slithered into the house in search of food, water or shelter, and then was scared into the Christmas tree when it heard or saw one of the pets or family members. ...............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/family-finds-king-of-all-poisonous-snakes-in-their-christmas-tree-11639504942?cx_testId=22&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0&mod=home-page-cx#cxrecs_s
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Family finds ‘king of all poisonous snakes’ in their Christmas tree
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 02:46:35 am »
"Snakes.  Why did it HAVE to be snakes?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 06:08:29 am »
Once again,proving you have to be VERY stealthy to slip past a cat without drawing their attention.

Since there were multiple cats,the snake did a VERY smart thing by staying in the tree so the cats couldn't "ratpack" him.

Cats LOVE eating snakes. I have seen my own housecats tagteam copperheads to kill them,and then fight each other to see who gets to eat the snake. Snakes are nothing but fast food for cats.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 06:09:48 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 06:14:50 am »
"Snakes.  Why did it HAVE to be snakes?"

South Africa!   

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 10:28:18 am »
Color me corrected, I figured this would be Australia, where if it doesn't sting or bite you with venom, it eats you alive whole.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 01:44:01 pm »
Color me corrected, I figured this would be Australia, where if it doesn't sting or bite you with venom, it eats you alive whole.

In Australia, the plants can kill you too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 01:57:31 pm »
... rattled dad Rob Wild told CNN.

Huh.  I was kind of expecting his name to be Clark Griswold.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 05:35:12 pm »
In Australia, the plants can kill you too.
In America the vegetables can kill you, at least the ones known as democrats.

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 12:43:53 pm »
Family finds ‘king of all poisonous snakes’ in their Christmas tree

Who writes and edits these D@MN headlines. Snakes are VENOMOUS, Toxins are poisonous.
Okay rant off.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.