Author Topic: Chauvin signals he will plead guilty to violating George Floyd's civil rights  (Read 174 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Chauvin signals he will plead guilty to violating George Floyd's civil rights
By Monique Beals - 12/13/21 04:35 PM EST

Derek Chauvin, the ex-Minneapolis police officer who was convicted of murdering George Floyd, indicated in court documents filed on Monday that he plans to plead guilty in a federal civil rights case.

The documents revealed that Chauvin is set to change his plea at a hearing on Wednesday. The former police officer previously pleaded not guilty to violating Floyd's constitutional rights during the deadly encounter.

Further details about the change of plea were not provided, and it remains unclear what Chauvin might say or what benefit he might derive from changing his plea.

Last year, Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, died after Chauvin knelt on neck for nine minutes and 29 seconds. Floyd's death sparked international protests and demands for police departments to change across the country.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/585614-chauvin-signals-he-will-plead-guilty-to-violating-george-floyds-civil
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Derek Chauvin to plead

Powerline by Scott Johnson 12/14/2021

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/12/derek-chauvin-to-plead.php

Having been convicted of the murder of George Floyd in state court, Derek Chauvin was charged by federal authorities with the violation of the Floyd’s civil rights. Federal authorities also charged the three other officers involved in Floyd’s arrest. The charges are pending before Judge Paul Magnuson in federal court in St. Paul.

The federal proceedings seem to me both untoward and unwarranted. In the Chauvin case, they are duplicative. In the case of the three other officers, they are disruptive of the state court criminal proceedings. I have yet to hear a good explanation for what the Department of Justice has done.

Yesterday the court sent out notice in the federal case that Chauvin would appear tomorrow morning to change his plea. Having previously entered a plea of not guilty, Chauvin must now intend to plead guilty.

I have applied for one of the press seats at the hearing tomorrow morning. I will hear back from the court this afternoon whether my name was pulled from the hat for a seat in the courtroom. I will update this post when I hear back from the court.