Author Topic: Letitia James Drops NY Governor Bid Less Than 2 Months After Announcing Run  (Read 192 times)

Offline mountaineer

I recently heard some analysis of the NY gubernatorial race, and the consensus was that Tish James was a shoo-in.
Zack Fink
@ZackFinkNews
NEW: @TishJames is suspending her campaign for Governor.
11:51 AM · Dec 9, 2021

Letitia James Drops NY Governor Bid Less Than 2 Months After Announcing Run
 In a statement, James said she will instead run for re-election as the state's attorney general
Published 5 hours ago   • Updated 3 hours ago   

Letitia James is dropping out of New York's gubernatorial race -- less than two months after her run. Instead, she will run for re-election as attorney general.

In a statement about her campaign released Thursday, James said: “I have come to the conclusion that I must continue my work as attorney general. There are a number of important investigations and cases that are underway, and I intend to finish the job. I am running for re-election to complete the work New Yorkers elected me to do."

James formally announced in October that she was running for governor, a widely anticipated move from the woman who oversaw an investigation into allegations that former Gov. Andrew Cuomo sexually harassed numerous women.

James entered the race as a formidable candidate for the Democratic nomination just months after issuing a damning report that drove Andrew Cuomo from office in a sexual harassment scandal.

James, 63, is the first woman elected as New York’s attorney general and the first Black person to serve in the role. With a power base in New York City, she was poised to be a top threat to Gov. Kathy Hochul, who had been Cuomo’s lieutenant governor. ...  NBC4, NYC
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Jack Posobiec
@JackPosobiec
A deal has been made
Letitia James SUSPENDS her campaign for governor and announces she will seek re-election as Attorney General
Democrat Letitia James SUSPENDS her campaign for governor and announces she will seek re-election as Attorney General

New York State Attorney General Letitia James suspended her campaign for governor on Thursday and said she would seek re-election in 2022
    James said she had 'important investigations' underway as she is seeking a deposition against Donald Trump in a probe of the Trump Organization
    James was the leading candidate challenging Gov. Kathy Hochul after he sex-pest report led to Andrew Cuomo's resignation in July
    A recent poll still showed Hochul had 36 per cent of democrats supporting her while James only had 18 per cent
    Sources familiar with the campaign said James also failed to secure big Democratic donors who kept their support for Hochul
    Democratic Party Chairman Jay Jacobs said, '​I think she understands how difficult a year 2022 is going to be for Democrats'

By Ronny Reyes and Geoff Earle, Deputy U.S. Political Editor and Jenny Stanton For Dailymail.com
Published: 12:13 EST, 9 December 2021 | Updated: 14:56 EST, 9 December 2021/  ... Daily Mail
4:21 PM · Dec 9, 2021·

Offline Kamaji

Something fishy going on with that. 

Offline mountaineer

Dropped out or suspended campaign? Apparently, negotiations continue.