Author Topic: Sen. Burr under investigation again for pandemic stock sales (AP)  (Read 586 times)

Online corbe

Sen. Burr under investigation again for pandemic stock sales

By BRIAN SLODYSKO, Associated Press - 6h ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr and his brother-in-law are being investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission for potential insider trading, a case that stems from their abrupt sales of financial holdings during the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, according to recent federal court filings.

Burr, a Republican, is among several lawmakers from both parties who faced outrage over their aggressive trading in early 2020, before the economic threat from the virus was widely known. That fueled accusations that the members of Congress were acting on inside information gained through their official duties to benefit financially, which is illegal under a law known as the STOCK Act.

Burr was previously investigated by the Trump administration's Justice Department for offloading $1.6 million from his portfolio in January and February 2020. The department cleared him of wrongdoing almost a year later — on Jan. 19, Donald Trump’s last full day in office.

But the SEC continued to investigate Burr, according to court documents filed in the Southern District of New York that were first made public last week. The agency enforces federal securities law.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sen-burr-under-investigation-again-for-pandemic-stock-sales/ar-AAQ4kdp?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Sen. Burr under investigation again for pandemic stock sales (AP)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 03:16:04 pm »
I don't care if he is a Republican,if he is doing this,nail his ass to the wall.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 03:27:39 pm »
I don't care if he is a Republican,if he is doing this,nail his ass to the wall.
It ain't about parties anymore. I wish we could get more of the democrat rank and file to see this.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 03:40:45 pm »
It's not about stock sales, it is about the dems keeping the majority that they are afraid they will lose in 22...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 04:58:54 pm »
To be perfectly honest, isn't it high time that there be a general requirement that all significant investments by a member of Congress be held in a blind trust during the member's term?

No ifs, and, or buts.  If you are elected to Congress, all of your pre-existing investments must be handled by a blind trust, and you can contribute as much new money to the blind trust as you like, but that money is then invested by the trustee of the blind trust.

Offline heelboy22

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 02:52:12 am »
He and Tillis have been disappointments for NC.  Glad he's retiring.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 03:02:11 am »
Hmm................is this doofus related to Aaron???

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 12:54:09 pm »
To be perfectly honest, isn't it high time that there be a general requirement that all significant investments by a member of Congress be held in a blind trust during the member's term?

No ifs, and, or buts.  If you are elected to Congress, all of your pre-existing investments must be handled by a blind trust, and you can contribute as much new money to the blind trust as you like, but that money is then invested by the trustee of the blind trust.

@Kamaji

To be honest,I have thought that was a basic requirement for holding public office,and had been ever since Day One.

I am truly shocked to hear that it isn't.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 02:10:58 pm »
@Kamaji

To be honest,I have thought that was a basic requirement for holding public office, and had been ever since Day One.

I agree.  However, to-date, it has never been made a requirement.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 02:15:01 pm »
@Kamaji

To be honest,I have thought that was a basic requirement for holding public office,and had been ever since Day One.

They're all doing it. The only time someone gets called its a republican when the rats need to keep a majority.