Author Topic: Statements By Capitol Police Officer Who Killed Ashli Babbitt ‘Demolish the Two Official Reviews Tha  (Read 367 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by Stacey Matthews August 29, 2021

Jonathan Turley: Statements By Capitol Police Officer Who Killed Ashli Babbitt ‘Demolish the Two Official Reviews That Cleared Him’

“Under Byrd’s interpretation, hundreds of rioters could have been gunned down on Jan. 6.”

On the heels of the USCP exonerating Byrd, he did an interview with NBC News anchor Lester Holt, identifying himself publicly for the first time.

Instead of clearing things up, the interview only intensified the debate over his actions and whether they were justified. Here’s a key moment from their back and forth:

Video shot by a person in the crowd showed two officers posted in front of the door. Heavily outnumbered, they eventually stepped aside.

Byrd said he had no knowledge that any officers were there. Because of the furniture stacked on his side of the door, he also couldn’t make out how many people were on the other side or whether they were carrying weapons.

“It was impossible for me to see what was on the other side,” he said.

But he did see the person now known to be Babbitt start coming through the broken glass.

“I could not fully see her hands or what was in the backpack or what the intentions are,” Byrd said. “But they had shown violence leading up to that point.”

While the Supreme Court, in cases such as Graham v. Connor, has said that courts must consider “the facts and circumstances of each particular case,” it has emphasized that lethal force must be used only against someone who is “an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others, and … is actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight.” Particularly with armed assailants, the standard governing “imminent harm” recognizes that these decisions must often be made in the most chaotic and brief encounters.

Under these standards, police officers should not shoot unarmed suspects or rioters without a clear threat to themselves or fellow officers.

Legal experts and the media have avoided the obvious implications of the two reviews in the Babbitt shooting. Under this standard, hundreds of rioters could have been gunned down on Jan. 6 — and officers in cities such as Seattle or Portland, Ore., could have killed hundreds of violent protesters who tried to burn courthouses, took over city halls or occupied police stations during last summer’s widespread rioting. In all of those protests, a small number of activists from both political extremes showed up prepared for violence and pushed others to riot. According to the DOJ’s Byrd review, officers in those cities would not have been required to see a weapon in order to use lethal force in defending buildings.

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/08/jonathan-turley-statements-by-capitol-police-officer-who-killed-ashli-babbitt-demolish-the-two-official-reviews-that-cleared-him/

Offline EdinVA

I do not understand why Byrd's attorney did not advise him against doing this interview.
With 28 years in Law Enforcement he should have know about self incrimination.... idiot

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Fodder to use in the civil trial where evidence will also come out.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I do not understand why Byrd's attorney did not advise him against doing this interview.
With 28 years in Law Enforcement he should have know about self incrimination.... idiot

Byrd and his attorney know he's a made man, and won't be touched by the law.  He got away with murder, and will do it again the first chance he gets.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Byrd and his attorney know he's a made man, and won't be touched by the law.  He got away with murder, and will do it again the first chance he gets.
probably. The love he’s getting from the media will eventually fade but the infamy as the guy who murdered an unarmed woman simply because he could will never go away.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:yowsa: Use of lethal force rules that apply to virtually every other police officer in this country obviously do not apply to him.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

BassWrangler

:yowsa: Use of lethal force rules that apply to virtually every other police officer in this country obviously do not apply to him.

Can he be sued by the victim's family?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Maybe.  Being a Capitol Hill cop may have immunity other cops don't enjoy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I honestly don't know @BassWrangler but if he gets a pass on murder, I have my doubts about it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Mr. Byrd may soon be sharing a dinner and toast with Lon Horiuchi...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
probably. The love he’s getting from the media will eventually fade but the infamy as the guy who murdered an unarmed woman simply because he could will never go away.

@skeeter

Doesn't matter as long as he continues to live in Dim Land,he will be treated as a hero.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@BassWrangler

Of course. Now,tell us  how much luck the victims family will have suing him in a DC court.

He would be lucky to get a leagle aid attorney to represent him.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
There wasn't time to make it look like a suicide.  What would you expect him to do?  Pass on such an easy shot?  Think of her as a late term abortion.  Had she been Taliban, or BLM, then we could have been offended!
////00000////
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Fodder to use in the civil trial where evidence will also come out.

Or if there are any in the GOP House of Representaives with any nads, request a re-review of the Capitol Police inquiry based on new information.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

BassWrangler

@BassWrangler

Of course. Now,tell us  how much luck the victims family will have suing him in a DC court.

He would be lucky to get a leagle aid attorney to represent him.

It would be worthwhile just for the discovery process. I would think there would be some conservative orgs that would be willing to fund the legal fees for that alone. What about Jay Sekelow's org?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It would be worthwhile just for the discovery process. I would think there would be some conservative orgs that would be willing to fund the legal fees for that alone. What about Jay Sekelow's org?

@BassWrangler

I know nothing about him or his organization,so my opinion on this would be worthless.