Author Topic: Progressives camp outside Capitol to protest evictions  (Read 727 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Progressives camp outside Capitol to protest evictions
« on: July 31, 2021, 02:37:37 pm »
Progressives camp outside Capitol to protest evictions
By Jordan Williams - 07/31/21 07:45 AM EDT

Several House progressives slept outside the Capitol on Friday night to protest the expiration of the federal eviction moratorium.

Democratic Reps. Cori Bush (Mo.), Ayanna Pressley (Mass.) and Ilhan Omar (Minn.) slept outside the Capitol in protest after the House adjourned for summer recess without garnering enough votes to pass legislation extending the eviction ban ahead of its expiration on Sunday.

“Many of my Democratic colleagues chose to go on vacation early today rather than staying to vote to keep people in their homes. I’ll be sleeping outside the Capitol tonight. We’ve still got work to do,” Bush tweeted.

https://twitter.com/CoriBush/status/1421291640732401666

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/565753-house-democrats-camp-outside-capitol-to-protest-evictions
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Progressives camp outside Capitol to protest evictions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 02:41:49 pm »
Oh the sacrifice they be making.  Can you imagine the pain they are enduring to show solidarity with the so to be homeless. 
In other news I see Grub Hub is doing a booming business tonight at the capital ndelivering food and drink to the congress critters. 

Said on driver after getting stiffed by Cori Bush; "They are shitty tippers"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 02:43:18 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 04:46:22 pm »
Why not just tell them they can join the Army if they want a place to live if they can qualify.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 06:07:54 pm »
Damn shame it isn't Feburary.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 06:41:17 pm »

That's right. You know, my business is near mortally ruined, but I ain't got it half as bad as folks that invested in real estate as landlords who have not collected a dime in over a year - and still had to make payments and pay taxes and do upkeep on those properties... Can you imagine the hole that made?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:42:50 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 06:47:25 pm »
No one seems to care that most smaller apartment buildings are owned by individuals who sacrificed a lot to own them and need the rental income to keep operating them. Also, a lot of the larger complexes are owned by REITS and underwritten by insurance companies. If they don't keep a high occupancy rate that pays their rent they can't pay out dividends to retirees who need the income.

Everyone buys into the nonsense that because someone was laid off they can't pay their rent. As I explained to one tenant who tried to avoid paying her rent, "Amazon, Wal-Mart, Costco are all hiring. They may not be jobs you want, but they will pay your bills until things get better."

The vast majority of deadbeats who haven't been paying their rent were tenants with a spotty record before. 
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 06:53:49 pm »
That's right. You know, my business is near mortally ruined, but I ain't got it half as bad as folks that invested in real estate as landlords who have not collected a dime in over a year - and still had to make payments and pay taxes and do upkeep on those properties... Can you imagine the hole that made?

Ross Perot once said... that giant sucking sound you hear is small business and people relying on rental income going down the drain.

Funny how it was also coming from under Bill Clintons desk.  Today it is from VP Harris's desk.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 06:54:16 pm »

A lot of the smaller operators are going broke. I've seen multiple stories of minority owners, in poorer parts of the city, who are losing everything they own. A lot of these people are retiree's that needed the income to live on.

The next big thing we are going to start hearing about is how people can't find apartments that will take them. I've been fortunate because the primary factor we look at when deciding to rent to someone or not is their credit score. The individual must have at least "good" credit. I found that people with good credit, or better, have something to lose if you take them to court so problems tend to get resolved.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 07:09:28 pm »
Loathe anti-American, Cori Bush.  UGH.  "THE SQUAD'.   ALL ANTI-AMERICAN.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:08:30 pm by MOD3 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 07:15:43 pm »
A lot of the smaller operators are going broke. I've seen multiple stories of minority owners, in poorer parts of the city, who are losing everything they own. A lot of these people are retiree's that needed the income to live on.

The next big thing we are going to start hearing about is how people can't find apartments that will take them. I've been fortunate because the primary factor we look at when deciding to rent to someone or not is their credit score. The individual must have at least "good" credit. I found that people with good credit, or better, have something to lose if you take them to court so problems tend to get resolved.

It does not surprise me. In the LOOOONG view, they have been trying to get rid of the middle class ever since it arose. Every time a different way has been tried, it always results in a return to a class society with no means of upward mobility.... Feudal lords and serfs, by many other names.

I really do feel for you man. I am a pooter service tech, and I have it bad. Traffic is a 10th of what I had, and I have real money invested in inventory that I can't move, and no new money to speak of coming in the door... I have been side-hustling cash deals (flipping cars, smalls) just to make ends meet.

I am lucky to be broadly invested in repair (I am more a tinker than a tech). so I can go find work. This month I made maybe three hundred bucks over my bench, and all the rest has been buying broken lawn mowers and such, fixing them, and selling them... And one car that I bought cheap hung a fender on, and flipped for around fifteen hundred in profit.

And I saw this coming sorta - Not this exactly, but I thought hard about how unsustainable the system was becoming, paid out of everything and went back to my redneck roots. So I don't require much income. as low as my income is right now, I still replaced my investment money and put an extra grand in my seed pocket.

My position ain't much, but it is all the way paid for, and it is durable in hard times. The whole thing is out of pocket, and outside of taxes on my properties, I really can't get hurt.

But I know what it is like in business today. I know folks are financed hard and have to make big income just to keep the doors open and stay even. And I hate what is happening to them right now.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 07:21:08 pm »
I thought any kind of protesting in, near, or around the Capitol was insidious and nefarious bourgeoisie capitalist pig treason, sedition, and insurrection?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 08:26:17 pm »
Late July/August in DC is no picnic, either. The heat and humidity can be oppressive (if you are not used to it).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 09:13:01 pm »
It does not surprise me. In the LOOOONG view, they have been trying to get rid of the middle class ever since it arose. Every time a different way has been tried, it always results in a return to a class society with no means of upward mobility.... Feudal lords and serfs, by many other names.

I really do feel for you man. I am a pooter service tech, and I have it bad. Traffic is a 10th of what I had, and I have real money invested in inventory that I can't move, and no new money to speak of coming in the door... I have been side-hustling cash deals (flipping cars, smalls) just to make ends meet.

I am lucky to be broadly invested in repair (I am more a tinker than a tech). so I can go find work. This month I made maybe three hundred bucks over my bench, and all the rest has been buying broken lawn mowers and such, fixing them, and selling them... And one car that I bought cheap hung a fender on, and flipped for around fifteen hundred in profit.

And I saw this coming sorta - Not this exactly, but I thought hard about how unsustainable the system was becoming, paid out of everything and went back to my redneck roots. So I don't require much income. as low as my income is right now, I still replaced my investment money and put an extra grand in my seed pocket.

My position ain't much, but it is all the way paid for, and it is durable in hard times. The whole thing is out of pocket, and outside of taxes on my properties, I really can't get hurt.

But I know what it is like in business today. I know folks are financed hard and have to make big income just to keep the doors open and stay even. And I hate what is happening to them right now.

You are so right about the middle class being crushed. It's part of the reason Trump is hated so much by the oligarchs and their servants in govt. He actually tried to represent the middle class.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I am more fortunate than most. I was able to sell my properties in Central America before the lockdowns really hit and paid off my mortgages here so I could carry the vacancies (15-20%). The tenants that couldn't pay moved in with friends, or went home. However, a lot of people I know in the business were not as lucky.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 09:43:01 pm »
I appreciate the sentiment, but I am more fortunate than most. I was able to sell my properties in Central America before the lockdowns really hit [...]

That is familiar. As a family, we are invested in Costa Rica. We got about half of it liquidated, but we are still sitting on a pile - A subdivision development that has been stone dead for better than a year, and a 200 acre banana and beef ranch that we were in the middle of converting to coffee... which continues to function alright though we are just maintaining at this point.

Glad you are still above water. That is a grace in this market.  :beer:

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 11:18:21 pm »
That is familiar. As a family, we are invested in Costa Rica. We got about half of it liquidated, but we are still sitting on a pile - A subdivision development that has been stone dead for better than a year, and a 200 acre banana and beef ranch that we were in the middle of converting to coffee... which continues to function alright though we are just maintaining at this point.

Glad you are still above water. That is a grace in this market.  :beer:

:amen: brother!

Good luck with the Costa Rica stuff. I miss my involvement in Panama, but life goes on.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 12:08:16 am »

@bilo

I have seen some ads offing to refinance people's homes with interest rates as low as 1.7 percent.

You just KNOW there are some fools out there with homes that are paid off who are going to jump on that mortage rate so they can pay cash for a new SUV and take a vacation.

Some people refer to those low-interest loans as good deals. I call them sucker bait.

My home has been paid off for maybe 20 years now,and is going to remain paid off as long as I live.

Offline bilo

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 03:35:08 am »
@bilo

I have seen some ads offing to refinance people's homes with interest rates as low as 1.7 percent.

You just KNOW there are some fools out there with homes that are paid off who are going to jump on that mortage rate so they can pay cash for a new SUV and take a vacation.

Some people refer to those low-interest loans as good deals. I call them sucker bait.

My home has been paid off for maybe 20 years now,and is going to remain paid off as long as I live.

You are so right!

If I pull out equity from a property I have to know where the money is going and that it will produce a better return than it cost.

I'll never forget talking with my grandmother a long time ago and she told me they lost most of the real estate they owned (mostly apartment buildings) during the depression because they had too much leverage. The highest amount they owed was 50% loan to value.

In todays market I think it's nuts to buy investment property. I think it's a fair bet we are going to see deflation after the initial surge of inflation and then people are going to be in a real tough spot when the inflated value of property begins declining in a big way.

Online DB

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 04:36:18 am »

If that isn't a taking I don't know what is.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 05:01:04 am »

In todays market I think it's nuts to buy investment property. I think it's a fair bet we are going to see deflation after the initial surge of inflation and then people are going to be in a real tough spot when the inflated value of property begins declining in a big way.

@bilo

I couldn't agree more. The international bankers have been sitting people up for a fall for the last decade or more. When I say these people take the long-term view on investments,I am not talking about a decade or more,I am talking about centuries. Some of these families have literally been pulling rent from the same properties for centuries. They buy up properties at below bankruptcy after a monetary collaplse,and then the NEVER sell it. They just rent it.

Rent money can REALLY add up over the centuries.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 04:15:23 pm »
I’m willing to bet if these virtue signalers had rental property they would be protesting to speed up evictions
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline bilo

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 04:29:18 pm »
@bilo

I couldn't agree more. The international bankers have been sitting people up for a fall for the last decade or more. When I say these people take the long-term view on investments,I am not talking about a decade or more,I am talking about centuries. Some of these families have literally been pulling rent from the same properties for centuries. They buy up properties at below bankruptcy after a monetary collaplse,and then the NEVER sell it. They just rent it.

Rent money can REALLY add up over the centuries.

I can't disagree. We are in for a big downturn at some point in the near future. Now's the time to eliminate debt.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2021, 04:29:37 pm »
Jihad, Gaza, and Woke spice were there.  Squeaky Spice phoned it in from the comfort of her bed.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2021, 04:30:55 pm »

Meanwhile here comes Black Rock to the rescue to take those properties off of the hands of the landlord.    Then one day we'll wake up and find out that all rental properties are controlled by one conglomerate,   and odds are, it will be based out of Beijing.

rangerrebew

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 05:09:48 pm »
They should have all been arrested for invading the capitol.  Just because the fences are gone doesn't give them the right to invade the capitol. :nono:

Offline bilo

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 05:18:16 pm »
Meanwhile here comes Black Rock to the rescue to take those properties off of the hands of the landlord.    Then one day we'll wake up and find out that all rental properties are controlled by one conglomerate,   and odds are, it will be based out of Beijing.

The last time we had a big downturn several larger property management companies, backed by hedge funds, bought homes in the suburbs for rental income. Over the last ten years a lot of farm land has been bought by a small group of individual investors. As these consolidations happen the ability to climb the economic ladder gets tougher and tougher. The leftists are just useful idiots in this process. They want deadbeat tenants to be bailed out and don't care about the thousands of hard working Americans who worked extra jobs to save money to buy a little slice of the American Dream.