Author Topic: It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks
« on: July 17, 2021, 12:46:06 pm »
Passage by Davide Mastracci 7/13/2021

Reducing further climate destruction and harm from needlessly fatal road accidents is more important than corporate or consumer freedom.     

The world is facing climate catastrophe, but there’s still a chance at avoiding the absolute worst case scenario. In order for that to happen, we need to cut back on GHG emissions.

Canada is one of the largest GHG emitters in the world, and has the second highest emission rate per capita of all G20 countries. As of 2019, the transportation sector was the second largest contributor to Canadian emissions.

Moreover, according to an Équiterre report, “Between 1990 and 2018, total GHG emissions in Canada rose by 20.9 per cent, largely due to transportation. In fact, since 1990, emissions from this sector have increased by 49 per cent and currently account for 30 per cent of Canada’s GHG emissions.”

As such, drastically cutting emissions from the transportation sector is of the utmost importance for a successful climate strategy. One way to help do so is to ban the sale of pickup trucks to all consumers unless they’re able to meet strict requirements to prove it will be used primarily for work purposes.

The transportation sector’s problems go well beyond the pickup truck — we need to shift away from relying on private vehicles entirely, regardless of if they’re a Toyota Prius or a Ford F-250 — but I’ll focus on them because they take what’s bad about cars and make them worse, and yet are coming to dominate the market.

More: https://readpassage.com/its-time-to-ban-the-sale-of-pickup-trucks/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 08:25:47 pm »
Over my dead body.

I can just see me trying to pull a cattle trailer with an Prius.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 02:05:27 am »
Over my dead body.

I can just see me trying to pull a cattle trailer with an Prius.

No need for a trailer, just get a covertable.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 02:50:07 am »
This SOB is taking up too much oxygen.  He can come take my pick up trucks from me at his own risk.

Dipshits like this can talk big behind their keyboards in the parents basement . 

Mr. Mastraccibater....  be a man and come  to Texas and take 'em. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 07:20:47 am »
More liberal idiocy.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 09:35:28 pm »
jafo wails:
"More liberal idiocy..."

Laugh and ridicule them all you want.
But...
Today's "liberal idiocy" is more often than not a precursor to tomorrow's "public policy" ...

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 09:43:57 pm »
Well, the auto companies are gearing up to going all electric anyways ... maybe electric pickup trucks won't be available.

For the longest time, the city that I live in banned pick up trucks and service vehicles from being parked in the driveway; they had to be parked in the garage.  It took years, before the city came to their senses and allowed pick up trucks to be parked in the driveway.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 11:57:13 pm »
Well, the auto companies are gearing up to going all electric anyways ... maybe electric pickup trucks won't be available.

For the longest time, the city that I live in banned pick up trucks and service vehicles from being parked in the driveway; they had to be parked in the garage.  It took years, before the city came to their senses and allowed pick up trucks to be parked in the driveway.

@libertybele

Too late for that. Ford just came out with one,and are running ads on tv for it,showing it to be capable of providing electricity for your house during power outages.

Tech tip: NEVER buy "new tech". Wait at least 5 years for them to get the bugs worked out.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 11:58:43 pm »
@libertybele

Too late for that. Ford just came out with one,and are running ads on tv for it,showing it to be capable of providing electricity for your house during power outages.

Tech tip: NEVER buy "new tech". Wait at least 5 years for them to get the bugs worked out.

I saved and bought a brand new SUV when I retired ... I don't want a freakin' electric car!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 12:56:54 am »
@libertybele

Heck, I have never owned anything even in the double oughts yet... And if I have my way, and the parts are available, I never will.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 10:10:37 pm »
We'll be buying a pickup truck this Friday (our first). Sorry, Mastracci.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 11:12:20 pm »
We'll be buying a pickup truck this Friday (our first). Sorry, Mastracci.

@mountaineer

May I ask why you didn't ask those of us who have been driving pu's for years for suggestions as to what to buy and what to stay away from,after telling us your requirements?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 11:19:48 pm »
May I ask why you didn't ask those of us who have been driving pu's for years for suggestions as to what to buy and what to stay away from,after telling us your requirements?
@sneakypete - my requirements are few. This isn't a work truck. Just need to be able to fit a couple of kayaks in the back and haul lawn and garden supplies occasionally, so I'll be getting the same kind my kayaking sister has, a Chevy Colorado.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 11:33:26 pm »
@sneakypete - my requirements are few. This isn't a work truck. Just need to be able to fit a couple of kayaks in the back and haul lawn and garden supplies occasionally, so I'll be getting the same kind my kayaking sister has, a Chevy Colorado.

@mountaineer

I know nothing personally about them,but had one maybe 5 years ago,and hated it so bad I traded it within 3 months.

As for the new ones Consumer Reports says they have the worse reliability record of any 2021 vehicle.

And the Silverado and the GMC versions of the Silverado and the Colorado are the next step up the ladder.

You would probably be better off getting a F-150 Ford.

BTW,speaking as someone who has owned and driven trucks most of my life,one basic truism is true about them,and that states "It is MUCH better to have "more truck" than you think you need."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:34:36 pm by sneakypete »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 01:39:31 am »
I read the Chevy Colorado was better than the Ford Ranger, and we didn't want a full-size truck like an F-150. Everything else in this class is Japanese.  :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 02:14:43 am »
I read the Chevy Colorado was better than the Ford Ranger, and we didn't want a full-size truck like an F-150. Everything else in this class is Japanese.  :shrug:

@mountaineer

You just can't go wrong with a Toyota if it's big enough.

Online roamer_1